Do It Again

Unreleased Chemicals

Started by WhiteNoise, Feb 04, 2018, 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic
repeating my sentiment on the LA '19 recording...

Holy Sh@#t!!!!

What the hell!! I thought I had 2020 discoveries in the bag but this takes it to another level.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

very cool! nice find

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Oct 24, 2020, 15:20
IIRC they got a cease and desist from the Beatles for doing this.
how does this work exactly for live shows.? just curious, don't know the laws about this
Eight or over.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 24, 2020, 11:43

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1319962798047285248

Me neither Tom, me neither.
(Is this the right thread? I mean you can download it now so it's kinda released)

Hot damn! :o this is much better than what I visualized when I heard the rumors. I hope soon to hear the full set performance, if he plans on releasing it.

EDIT: 27/10
He plans on releasing the full Festival, I'm in heaven!!!
Last Edit: Oct 27, 2020, 20:51 by Conn6orsuper117
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 24, 2020, 11:43

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1319962798047285248

Me neither Tom, me neither.
(Is this the right thread? I mean you can download it now so it's kinda released)

Whirls! Get over here quick! Your about to make a trip down memory lane very soon!

One of my first raves ever attended (with,orb,underworld) but the sad fact remains that I didn't bother checking out the chemical brothers that night, and I regret it to this very day!

:o TNK was murdered I tell you! Just f'ing mind blowing in every way!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Some slight context:

Also up that night were the Chemical Brothers, who almost didn't make it to the show. "I remember sitting in the box office," says Tollett. "I didn't have a staff, I am just doing it myself, It's all cash. I hear that Chemical Brothers need to be picked up at the hotel pretty far away. That's a dilemma—do you stop watching the cash or go pick up the Chemical Brothers. I chose pick up the Chemical Brothers."

Paul Tollett
One of the promoters for Organic 96 AKA Mr.Coahella/Goldenvoice

https://starlightpr1.com/blog-detail/11003/how-organic-made-history-as-southern-californias-first-legitimate-dance-fest/
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Listening back to Come With Us, I was reminded of that mysterious track that is in the Centro-Fly 2003 DJ Set. It uses the drums and bell samples from Pioneer Skies, the vocal and some drum samples from "It Began in Afrika", the "1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4" sample, that I think is used in Base 6, a bass sample from Sparks' "Tryouts for the Human Race" (or is it "Beat the Clock"?), and the "Mama say mama sa mamakossa" that was used in Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'". Does anyone remember any info on it? I always thought it could be "Here come the Drums"

EDIT: I was a bit oblivious about that, but the main drum sample is also from "Beat the Clock"

EDIT bis: Oh it is mentioned on the first post, I didn't see it, I was looking at Here come the drums

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Feb 04, 2018, 17:35
It Began in Afrika (Early Version aka Pioneer Skies Drums Version)
Heard - It Began in Afrika began as a radically different version sampling the same drums as used in Pioneer Skies. The Chems played this out at a number of DJ sets in 2001-2003 and it can be heard in a few bootlegs from that time.
Any chance Here Come The Drums could be this early version of It Began in Afrika or are we sure those are two different tracks ?
Last Edit: Apr 01, 2021, 10:41 by Ben_j

Quote from: Ben_j on Apr 01, 2021, 10:32

Listening back to Come With Us, I was reminded of that mysterious track that is in the Centro-Fly 2003 DJ Set. It uses the drums and bell samples from Pioneer Skies, the vocal and some drum samples from "It Began in Afrika", the "1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4" sample, that I think is used in Base 6, a bass sample from Sparks' "Tryouts for the Human Race" (or is it "Beat the Clock"?), and the "Mama say mama sa mamakossa" that was used in Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'". Does anyone remember any info on it? I always thought it could be "Here come the Drums"

EDIT: I was a bit oblivious about that, but the main drum sample is also from "Beat the Clock"

EDIT bis: Oh it is mentioned on the first post, I didn't see it, I was looking at Here come the drums
Any chance Here Come The Drums could be this early version of It Began in Afrika or are we sure those are two different tracks ?

Dude, this brings me back. I was at that Centro Fly DJ set. 20 years old, somehow my uncle was able to get the bouncer to walk us in past the full queue outside, pre opening of the club, while I was smoking a lit cigar (like a moron). I spent the entire set directly in front of the booth desperately trying to get the bros attention. I must've fell down on my face 4 times. I don't remember much, but I am pretty sure they played Song to the Siren and I almost died. I remember Nude Night too.

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Oct 25, 2020, 14:32
He plans on releasing the full Festival, I'm in heaven!!!

Here is the full broadcast, all five hours.

https://www.bratproductions.com/audiovault/radio_recording/brat_organic96.html

He also doesn't appear to realise it was Tom who replied to him on Twitter and wished him a happy birthday.

Quote from: Ford on Apr 10, 2021, 04:40

He also doesn't appear to realise it was Tom who replied to him on Twitter and wished him a happy birthday.
Already been up on the archive channel for months now, though I'm still pretty miffed they cut 4 tracks from the set.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Apostle on Apr 05, 2021, 01:18

Dude, this brings me back. I was at that Centro Fly DJ set. 20 years old, somehow my uncle was able to get the bouncer to walk us in past the full queue outside, pre opening of the club, while I was smoking a lit cigar (like a moron). I spent the entire set directly in front of the booth desperately trying to get the bros attention. I must've fell down on my face 4 times. I don't remember much, but I am pretty sure they played Song to the Siren and I almost died. I remember Nude Night too.

This is awesome. This is the type of anecdote I'm looking for my American live/dj set Chronology thread

https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,212.0.html

additionally, I know there is incomplete recording of that night out there. The forum went crazy for Koenig Cylinder's - 'Carousel' when the recording surfaced back in the day.

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 12, 2021, 19:28
This is awesome. This is the type of anecdote I'm looking for my American live/dj set Chronology thread
I updated that thread with a few notes from a couple of NY shows. Good stuff!

Quote from: Ford on Apr 10, 2021, 04:40

Can we talk about how that version of "The Box" from Orbital's set is fucking incredible?

45 aka "Dirty Xylophones"
Heard, disputed - This is an unidentified track played during the 2019 Essential Mix at around 45:45 (hence the nickname). It can't be agreed if this is actually a Chemical Brothers song or not.

This can be taken off from the list.
no idea, no idea

Anybody think it's time we added the Printworks tracks to this list? There's at least three that we know of, two having proper titles added to them (Stefan Clips and Woo Track) and two that are questionable, one I haven't even heard much of with an "It's Just Like" vocal reported by some members. The other was posted by Sneakerbeater in addition to the woo track

I'll add relevant videos but hopefully maybe these 3-4 will have more revealed about them soon enough!

Woo Track

Stefan Clips (And I Feel Like I'm Dreaming)

Unknown Track, I'm gonna argue this one is indeed Chemical (If anyone has more of this one and the It's Just Like track please feel free to share!)

And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

I had a go at listing all the new stuff in Reply 117 here.

As per my comments in that post, I think your 5th video above (filmed by Sneakerbeater from this forum) is a colab with Wolf Alice (Or Ellie from the band). Pumisher spotted that the Chems insta follows Wolf Alice's Ellie Rowsell's insta, and I'm guessing this track may be why. I was calling it the "warped pop/rock track". I guess it's another Chemical indie track following in the footsteps of the likes of Magic Numbers etc.

The more I listen to the "all of a sudden it's like" clip, the more sure I am that it is NOT the woo track but that it IS Chemical. Different timbre/synths (synth coulda been used in MAH?). It doesn't shazam, which reinforces the 'unreleased' status, IMHO. Unreleased tracks in Chems DJ sets tend to be Chemical rather than by anyone else.

Hear it on the 4th slide here:
https://www.instagram.com/buggedoutclub/p/CX00_3Brn_U/?utm_medium=copy_link
Last Edit: Feb 20, 2022, 16:24 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Feb 20, 2022, 12:35

Pumisher spotted that the Chems insta follows Wolf Alice's insta
No no no  ;)  They follow Ellie, not Wolf Alice. At least on Insta, can't talk for other platforms.
no idea, no idea

Elektron, Steps, and Wizard
Heard - for unknown reasons, The Chemical Brothers released 3 synth sounds as ringtones. They're low quality but raw. Elektron uses a sound from EBW7, Wizard a sound from EBW9, and Steps a synth similar to the ones used in Scale.

I'd be really interested to hear these and maybe use them, does anyone have them?
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Has "The Nina Frequency" never been leaked for real?

Well, I don't know if this version on YT is a real leak but it's the only thing I'm aware of:
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Bjork - Hyperballad
Kinda heard - Bjork rejected the remix on account of her "aversion to slap bass", but the Chemical Brothers reworked the remix, sans any Bjork, and turned it into Dig Your Own Hole. We still don't know what the Bjork version would have sounded like, chucking an acapella of Hyperballad onto Dig Your Own Hole yields odd results.

From the Q&A in the Guardian:

You've been responsible for some cracking remixes, such as Jailbird by Primal Scream. How much involvement does the original artist have and are you typically given free rein? VerulamiumParkRanger

Ed: We would never take one hi-hat from the original track and call it a remix. We take the same ingredients somewhere else. In the big 90s run of remixes we did for Primal Scream, the Charlatans and so on, people would come down and contribute or bring stuff on tape. In terms of free rein, we've only had a record label man ask us to change something drastically.

Tom: He didn't get his way, although when we did Björk's Hyperballad, she said: "I will never have a record with slap bass." She made the right call. How did we ever think Hyperballad needed to be a slap bass odyssey? Although we reworked those bits for our track Dig Your Own Hole.
no idea, no idea