I'm Dancing In the Shadow of Love

Live 2018 expectations

Started by Explud, Feb 05, 2018, 20:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Let's start!

First of all, return this fu**ing amazing UFO led gate from 2011 tour!
Or return this awesome second-layer glare screen, what we saw in the first shows in 2015. It really nice fits for the visuals.
Last Edit: Nov 30, 2018, 13:09 by Csar
Hi Kevin!

I would love to hear a proper resurrection of some of the Come With Us era tracks.

Please drop "Sometimes I Feel So Deserted". Of all the 'Born in the Echo' tracks played live, I think this one doesn't deserve to survive the cut.

Considering how expansive their catalogue has gotten. It would be nice to see a more frequent rotating setlist. I know this is difficult considering the production that is put in the show. But the extra work won't go unappreciated.

This is probably more a wishlist...

I think everyone can expect these tracks:

Block Rockin Beats
Hey Boy Hey Girl
Galvanize
Star Guitar
Chemical Beats
Go
Under the Influence (mostly because I can't see them scrapping the Robots so quickly)

on the edge of permanent fixture:

Swoon
Saturate

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 05, 2018, 21:22

I would love to hear a proper resurrection of some of the Come With Us era tracks.
There, there, my friend :'(
I'm also dreaming about ressurection in some kind of The Test/HBHG live version.
But true. Only one track from CWU in their live shows.

Please drop "Sometimes I Feel So Deserted". Of all the 'Born in the Echo' tracks played live, I think this one doesn't deserve to survive the cut.
I wish to drop all of the tracks from BITE except the EML Ritual.
Hi Kevin!

This.

But don't make space for them by getting rid of The Sunshine Underground.
Also, Music: Response in (a) full(er form) would be a treat.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

1) Bring back it doesn't matter, bigger and better than before, instead of reusing the vocals as a tease in Problem:Question
(Or at least add more to problem question like they did in 2005 instead of using it for a transition)

2)a mashup with Do it again, Get yourself High,& Hold Tight London or (reuse synths and samples from  HTL)

3) Horse Power, instead of Sometimes I feel so deserted. I'd Rather have that instead of that buildup tease of a song.

4) bring back the Dissolve Intro for The Private Psychedelic Reel like they did for 2011.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I want to see a reinvention of the live show setlist like what used to happen from album to album - as good a level that they've reached, the live show has stagnated.

You can really group Chems sets into categories:

Original Sets 1995-1997
Surrender / Come With Us
Push The Button
Modern Sets (2007-today)

The original sets were a constant evolution of the same basic idea. In 1999 they modified that in the context of Surrender and mixed it up to great results, though many parts of the early sets were still kept.

Then the Come With Us tour ditched any vestiges of those first sets and came up with something completely new to surround the new elements from the Surrender tour. Almost nothing was kept as it was. And they did this again in 2004/2005 and 2007/2008 - beyond playing the hits somewhere in the set, the single constant in that 8 year period was the use of OOC > Temptation / Star Guitar > Interlude at the heart of the set, and even that got changed up each time (2002 used TSU after the interlude, 04-08 used Surface To Air, and 07/08 introduced Don't Fight Control into the transition). The Come With Us, Push The Button, and We Are The Night sets were all wildly good surprises.

Then 2010 happened. It was Further, and recycled parts from the 07/08 and 04/05 tours. Still cool - the parts of the 2007 tour were far from stale, and Further replaced so much of the last tour and shook up a few standbys in the process (Swoon / Star Guitar) that it wasn't really a repeat. And the 2011 tour shook things up enough to keep it fresh, even though it still relied on templates from previous tours. Like stepping from 2000 to 2002, it was enough to make it different.

But then the 2015/2016 sets did the same thing. They consisted of 4 new songs, 2 re-imagined surprises (Under The Influence and The Sunshine Underground), and a few interesting new segues (like House Nation and Elektrobank). Then everything else was a wholesale repeat of moments from 2007-2011 and earlier. I get why - Adam needed familiarity to perform live - but it's frustrating the sets stayed mostly predictable.

I'm not saying these sets suck, they're just becoming predictable, with only a few subverted expectations each new tour.

I want to see stuff like Star Guitar or Do It Again in the back half of the setlist, and see a song that has never been used as an intro / outro moved to that spot. No more starting with Hey Boy Hey Girl or Galvanize or ending with Leave Home / Block Rockin Beats. Actually, bring The Reel back as a traditional set closer since encores never happen anymore!

Ditch Believe and Out Of Control, they've run their course, and bring back tracks like The Golden Path or It Began In Afrika (which were just as big of "hits" as Believe and OOC) or make more room for new tracks, instead of playing less than half of the new album (2015/2016 featured fewer songs from their touring albums than any other set before, especially considering encores with Reflextion and Wide Open happened maybe three or four times all tour).

I'm looking forward to something really new again. Nothing predictable or from a previous tour. No traditions. Keep the standards, but mess up where they are and how they're played!

and @ Bosco, Chemical Beats could be considered at risk. They've dropped it before, it was mostly absent in 04 and 05.
Last Edit: Feb 06, 2018, 18:06 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

from the show i had always been perfectly entertained, so no expectations from that - surprise me, i'm fine with it

but the setlist, oh man...

01 Tommorow Never Knows / Silver Drizzle (the intro part of it)
02 Brothers Gonna Work It Out (sample)
03 Dust-Up Beats
04 Loops Of Fury / The Best Part Of Breaking Up
05 Get Yourself High
06 It Began In Afrika / EBW7 (vocals) / Hoops
07 Don't Think / Don't Fight Control
08 Escape Velocity
09 It Doesn't Matter
10 Setting Sun
11 Galvanize / Elektrobank / Escape Wavefold / Let Us Build A City
12 Saturate
13 Hey Boy, Hey Girl
14 The Golden Path
15 Midnight Madness
16 Reflexion
17 Burst Generator
18 Temptation
19 Star Guitar
====================
20 Snow / Surface To Air
21 Hold Tight London
22 The Sunshine Underground
23 The Pills Won't Help You Now
24 Swoon / Hanna's Theme (Vocal Version)
25 Studio K / One Too Many Mornings
26 Chico's Groove
27 The Test / Pioneer Skies
28 K+D+B
====================
29 Come With Us
30 Morning Lemon / Buzz Tracks / These Beats Are Made For Breaking / Block Rockin' Beats
31 Song To The Siren (the version with all the breaks)
32 The Devil Is In The Beats
33 Piku
34 Leave Home
35 Chemical Beats
36 Go (the last part from the extended version but with vocal samples)
37 The Private Psychedelic Reel

and somewhere in between all this we need all the good new ones
no idea, no idea

BITE tour was full of cool flashbacks like HBHG as opener, playing Got Glint?, Elektrobank, TSU, Under The Influence and fucking awesome live part - Song To The Siren conected with Music: Response. All this stuff from past gigs made me think that it would be the last tour for the bros and they want to say goodbye by playing some abandoned for gigs things from old eras. But as we now know it wasn't the last one. So mb the brothers will go deeper and play some stuff like Dust-Up Beats with 'brothers gonna work in out' intro or mb we'll hear the drums used in Bug Powder Dust remix. It would be cool to hear more things from the band's origin.
Meow meow meow
Sound sound sound

my setlist prediction

1-Tomorrow never knows
2-Hey Boy hey Girl
3-Horse Power
4-Do it again/Get yourself High/Direkt Buki/Hold Tight London (synths and ambiance samples)
5-Free yourself New track
6-GO!
7-Swoon
8-Temptation/Star Guitar
9-Eve of Destruction (New Track?)
10-Gotta keep on making me high new track
11-EML Ritual
12-Doesnt Matter (original)
13-Tuba/Acid Children
14-Out of Control/Setting Sun
15-Problem:Question
16-Saturate
17-Believe(With acid children drop)
=================
18- Got Glint?
=================
19-Snow/Surface to air
20-Hoops
21-Under the Influence (Robots mix)
22-Galvanize
23-C-H-E-M-I-C-A-L (Full)
24-Block Rockin' Beats
================
25-Hold Tight London
26-Das Speigel
27-Dissolve/The Private Psychedelic Reel/Sympathy for the Devil (Vocals)
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I wanted them to play "Hoops", "It Began In Afrika" and "Midnight Madness" version accapella!

And I would like the brothers finish the show with "Believe"!

Songs I have yet to hear live that I want to:

It Began In Afrika
TPPR
In Glint
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

im pretty sure at this very moment, Tom is changing the upcoming tour setlist for the 57th time! :))
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: androidgeoff on Feb 11, 2018, 16:55

In Glint
dont you mean Got Glint?

Quote from: Explud on Feb 16, 2018, 15:22

What? Just one nice track for about 60 minutes  :)) :)) :))
3rd encore  ;)
no idea, no idea

The sad part in all of this is that once a new album is released and new tracks are introduced, they have to make room in the playlist, which also means that some songs are given the boot!

in comes the new ----> out with the old! BUT PLEASE OH PLEASE NOT MY PRECIOUS STAR GUITAR!

im gonna get some hate on this:

goodbye: out of control, do it again, escape velocity...EDIT: maybe, SIFSD, setting sun, believe

wishlist to come back: dont think, hoops, come with us, KDB!

imo this is the 'safe' setlist meaning these will stay and are in no threat to being removed (im not counting the snippets of songs eg: temptation, music response, etc)

hbhg
cb
sg
eml
gal
brb
tppr
uti
go
swoon
ISYT
sat
...and three tracks from the new album

@ Conn6orsuper117
would pick HP over SIFSD anyday

@WN
yes for tppr a setlist closer. shoud be permanent for gods sakes with no guarantee of encores.

@demarco
hoops is in my prayers

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

My dream setlist (that would probably be way too long):

Come With Us
Music:Response
Burst Generator
No Need
Do it Again/The Big Jump
Life of Galileo club track
Sometimes I Feel So Deserted
Chemical Beats
EML Ritual/Horsepower
Direct Buki/It Doesn't Matter segue
Under the Influence