My Heart and Soul, They Are Free

A ton of new Tom Rowlands/Chemical Brothers titles registered at SACEM

Started by Ben_j, Mar 09, 2018, 10:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanks to the credits, I found the origin of the sample "And rain comes down like tears" (at 1mn22)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji2pUAFMikg&t=1m22s

And here's the sample for "Gotta keep on makin me high" I guess

Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 05, 2018, 14:26

No it was not, good catch :) Are there any other new stuff ?

Well, never heard of 140 Song (this one explicitly mentions Chemical Brothers as performers) or ROADKILL (Deconstruction mentioned as publisher too, might be old), SWIFT JUSTICE, DEEPER THROAT, SLOW BUTT GRIND, CALL ME THE BREEZE

Last Edit: Jun 06, 2018, 06:09 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jun 05, 2018, 15:02

Well, never heard of 140 SONG (this one explicitly mentions Chemical Brothers as performers) or ROADKILL (Deconstruction mentioned as publisher too, might be old), SWIFT JUSTICE, DEEPER THROAT, SLOW BUTT GRIND, CALL ME THE BREEZE
Some of these are tracks that sample Chems tracks

Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 05, 2018, 14:32

Thanks to the credits, I found the origin of the sample "And rain comes down like tears" (at 1mn22)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji2pUAFMikg&t=1m22s
Well sherlocked!
Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 05, 2018, 14:37

And here's the sample for "Gotta keep on makin me high" I guess

You just know that it's a recreation/re-recording for this one though. No way it's the same vocalist.

Quote from: Csar on Jun 05, 2018, 15:02

Well, never heard of 140 SONG (this one explicitly mentions Chemical Brothers as performers) or ROADKILL (Deconstruction mentioned as publisher too, might be old), SWIFT JUSTICE, DEEPER THROAT, SLOW BUTT GRIND, CALL ME THE BREEZE

Roadkill is mentioned in post 1 of this thread, Call Me the Breeze is a Beth Orton track that Tom worked on (mentioned on the old forum) see HERE (track 5). Slow Butt Grind was an early title which WN has mentioned before, I forget what it is but you do know it. Deeper Throat is THIS
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I cleary am a chemical rookie... Thank you both for clarification.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Slow Butt Grind is the name for the end of Elektrobank!
Never for money, always for love.

Today's news has prompted me to have a look at Mike Marsh's list (still no change since Contra/Reflexion) and the SACEM list.
And we have some new ones on there:

NEUM
Compositeur : OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN
Auteur : OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN

WE'VE GOT TO TRY
Compositeur : PEGUE RICHARD, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN
Auteur : PEGUE RICHARD, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN

GRAVITY DROPS

BANGO
Compositeur : Aurora AKSNES, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN
Auteur : Aurora AKSNES, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN

So Aurora is on this one. No sign of a writing credit for Dinosaur L/Arthur Russell, so perhaps my prediction that there would be a sample of Dinosaur L's "Go Bang" isn't going to pan out...

NO GEOGRAPHY

THE UNIVERSE SENT ME
Compositeur : Aurora AKSNES, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN
Auteur : Aurora AKSNES, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN

Aurora again.

So we have two new Aurora song (writing/performing) confirmations to add to Eve Of Destruction. Is it three tracks in total that she sings on?
I'm surprised that EOD isn't showing on the SACEM page considerng the track has had a "world premiere".
I thought there might be some more writing credits if samples have been used more on this album (as suggested by interviews), although clearly the Helleluia Chorus sample has garnered a writing credit. I wonder if there might be an updated PRS list with more details?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Neeeum is most likely just the 15,000 bpm "remix" of We've Got to Try.

Three tracks including Aurora sounds like a bit of an overkill, knowing that the album is pretty short, but perhaps these are just credits for some vocal effects or just small sound bites instead of full lyrics.
Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019, 19:35 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

My hype for Gravity Drops is 1000% defying the aforementioned track title.

Just over a month girls & boys!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Csar on Mar 07, 2019, 19:28

Three tracks including Aurora sounds like a bit of an overkill, knowing that the album is pretty short, but perhaps these are just credits for some vocal effects or just small sound bites instead of full lyrics.

It reminds of Junior by Royksopp where there're three tracks featuring Anneli Drecker and two tracks with Karin Dreijer.
(Robyn and Lykke Li look pathetic with just one appearance  :D)
Masterpiece album, by the way.
Meow meow meow
Sound sound sound

I used to play live a long long time ago. Even though none of our stuff was released at the time, we would register each track with APRA (Australian SACEM) with the working title, and submit a tracklist of the live set to them so we get some performance royalties.

My guess is that some of these tracks are registered for this reason - they're working titles for some of the bits performed live that don't have a release.

Another one to add to reply #28 above:

CATCH ME I'M FALLING
Compositeur : INCONNU COMPOSITEUR AUTEUR, RAYMONDE SIMON PHILIP, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, DOSEN STEPHANIE, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN
Auteur : INCONNU COMPOSITEUR AUTEUR, RAYMONDE SIMON PHILIP, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, DOSEN STEPHANIE, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN

Stephanie Dosen gets a writing credit. As does Simon Raymonde - founder of Bella Union records (I Break Horses, Midlake, Flaming Lips - all with Chem connections), acquantance/friend of Tom, and of course former Cocteau Twin.

**EDIT**: Stephanie Dosen has also released music on Mr Raymonde's Bella Union label e.g: A Lily For The Spectre, an album which featured production and performance from Mr Raymonde. I wonder if something from her music has been sampled here?

9 out of 10 No Geography tracks listed here now. Eve Of Destruction seems to be the missing title.
Last Edit: Apr 09, 2019, 17:06 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

EVE OF DESTRUCTION
Composer/Author: SIMONS, EDMUND JOHN
Composer/Author: ROWLANDS, THOMAS OWEN MOSTYN
Composer/Author: JACKSON, LEROY O'NIEL JR
Composer/Author: CALLOWAY, JAMES J
Composer/Author: AKSNES, AURORA
Composer/Author: KATO, AKANE

Quote from: Enjoyed on Apr 10, 2019, 17:16

EVE OF DESTRUCTION
Composer/Author: SIMONS, EDMUND JOHN
Composer/Author: ROWLANDS, THOMAS OWEN MOSTYN
Composer/Author: JACKSON, LEROY O'NIEL JR
Composer/Author: CALLOWAY, JAMES J
Composer/Author: AKSNES, AURORA
Composer/Author: KATO, AKANE
A-ha! (did I miss it yesterday, or is it new today? ??? )

James Calloway and Leroy O'Neill Jackson (who I think is AKA Leroy Burgess) wrote the original 1978 version of Weekend by Phreek. The track was then covered by Class Action in 1983. Both versions involved Larry Levan and vocalist Christine Wiltshire. I believe the Chems have sampled the Class Action version.
So, comfirmation that they kept the Weekend sample in this one.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

bumping this. And could we potentially move this thread into another topic? I think this thread applies to any potentially new or unreleased tracks beyond 'No Geography'

Any who, I briefly looked over to see if anything new popped up due to the mystery over the new RSD release.

This caught my eye:

THE DARKNESS YOU FEAR

^that seems right to me.

But I'm not pulling any notable google hits in regard to "The Darkness You Fear" "Willie Ellison", "John Ellison", "Willie John Ellison"  and "Chemical Brothers"

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 08, 2021, 19:38

Is THIS Ellison Willie J?

Something sampled from his act Soul Brothers Six?

This seems like the most likely scenario. I searched 'Darkness', and 'Fear', within Willie's Discogs page and this track came up a number of times. Probably more likely due to it being their biggest hit (by my limited searching) but with Toms recent disposition for funk sampling and riffs, there's definitely things in this that I could hear making their way into a Chems track.
Starts with a drum break too: