Superflash - Numéro Un, Number One

A ton of new Tom Rowlands/Chemical Brothers titles registered at SACEM

Started by Ben_j, Mar 09, 2018, 10:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Wild speculation here, but maybe it's the track for Record Store Day? (if it will be a new track)

Quote from: Stefan on Apr 11, 2021, 14:39

Wild speculation here, but maybe it's the track for Record Store Day? (if it will be a new track)

I'm presuming that's why Bosco brought it up.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I'm thinking this one might have legs:
Spoiler

There is an instrumental version too:

Spoiler

^ good to see you're really getting stuck into the detective work, Bosco!
Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to listen to every track from Mr Ellison/Soul Brothers Six from 1966 to 2008 - for Chemical research purposes. Album tracks, B-sides - the lot. I mean some of this stuff isn't even on Spotify never mind YouTube, but I'm putting my faith in you on this!

I honsetly hope your suggested track ain't it. Other than the synth bass, there is absolutely nothing on there that floats my boat.
The good news is that there's some mighty fine stuff from earlier in his career. Like this track below. Oh my god that's the funky shit.

JOHN ELLISON - You've Got To Have Rhythm
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Yeah, that intro to the track you posted sounds like it has a lot of looping potential.

There really is a bunch to choose from (albeit, not all conveniently available), and I don't really know what particular bit either lyrically or sound wise they might be searching for. So I'll refrain from making any further assumptions until we have some more bread crumbs to follow.

I will say, "Some Kind of Wonderful" is quite the legacy for Willie Ellison. Although I'm more fimiliar with Grand Funk Railroad's version, I can't tell you how many times I've heard that song.

The darkness that you fear seems to have lyrics now? Weird! The track is not even out yet!

How does that happen?
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Apr 16, 2021, 00:54

The darkness that you fear seems to have lyrics now? Weird! The track is not even out yet!

How does that happen?

Ohhhhh, these lyrics. Where did they come from? Well if they're right then it must be I'll Be Loving You.

BIG EDIT. Also one of my fellow countrymen(!) in the Netherlands has pretty much confirmed that The Darkness That You Fear (full title) is indeed this year's Chemical RSD release. TBH I'm not sure why the title is embargoed everywhere else...

CLICK.
Last Edit: Apr 16, 2021, 15:19 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I'm hoping that this will be available one way or another for non-vinyl-collecting folks. I'd happily buy a CD at the record store.

Well, if that is the actual lyrics and the aptly titled Soul Brothers Six track is where we presume part of the lyrics and or music was borrowed, there is still remaining lyrics and vocal contribution unaccounted for. So either Tom is unleashing the golden pipes, or something is missing, right?
Last Edit: Apr 16, 2021, 22:05 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 16, 2021, 19:04

Well, if that is the actual lyrics and the aptly titled Soul Brothers Six track is where we presume part of the lyrics and or music was borrowed, there is still remaining lyrics and vocal contribution unaccounted for. So either Tom is unleashing the golden pipes, or something is missing, right?

This likely could be taking the WGTT route where the sample or vocal was interpolated by another vocalist.

Semi related but I wonder if this is a part of that
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: hstn on Apr 16, 2021, 22:52

This likely could be taking the WGTT route where the sample or vocal was interpolated by another vocalist.

Definitely. I certainly expect that.

Also, I think I found a big piece...

Spoiler

Lyrics include:

"Let your heart see the colors all around you"
"And the darkness that you fear will disappear"
"Let your heart see thе colors"

This forum is going to recreate the track from name and samples before it is even released.
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

yes, yes, but the most important detail is Bugaloo girl was a major babe

Great spot Bosco. I'm surprised that Hal Yoergler doesn't get a writing credit though...

For the B-side (ahh, B-sides...) I would like the Chems to sample the chorus from this. [Also, they're meant to be British?]

Quote from: kosek on Apr 17, 2021, 07:22

This forum is going to recreate the track from name and samples before it is even released.

Would love to hear the efforts of our more talented music makers here on the forum. Preferably incorporating the flutes at 1.33 in Bosco's clip (The Test's flutes are great, right?). Maybe some "real" drums like on the Noel Collabs/I'll See You There. Lots of psychedelic shit with those rising noises that Tom likes so much.
Just follow the lyrics for a rough template and go nuts!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 17, 2021, 11:24

I'm surprised that Hal Yoergler doesn't get a writing credit though...

Do you need to cite/credit if you partially use lyrics from a track but not reuse any musical elements from it?

I'm thinking like the track "Snow" here. Jackie Wilson's - [Your Love Keeps Lifting Me] Higher and Higher, but no musical elements are taken.

WE HAVE A PREVIEW AND A DROP DATE!!!! https://umusic.digital/udbtqf/?sharetoken=

AND MY GOODNESS IT'S BEAUTIFUL (AND IT'S THE ABOVE INSTAGRAM CLIP I POSTED!!!)
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 17, 2021, 18:02

Do you need to cite/credit if you partially use lyrics from a track but not reuse any musical elements from it?

I'm thinking like the track "Snow" here. Jackie Wilson's - [Your Love Keeps Lifting Me] Higher and Higher, but no musical elements are taken.

From what I can tell, they have used elements of the Bugaloos tune. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I'm refraining to listen to the preview. Does any Willie John Ellison elements appear? Can we nail that one down, too?

and great call on Peppermint Patty clip, HSTN! I'm pretty psyched for that majestic fantasy type sound.

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 19, 2021, 19:22

I'm refraining to listen to the preview. Does any Willie John Ellison elements appear? Can we nail that one down, too?

What are you like? Go on!! Yes, it's literally the words "I'll be loving you, yes I will" from my embed in repy #46 above. As per that lyrics website. Sounds like a direct sample from Soul Brothers Six. Sounds like a recreation of the Bugaloos part.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 19, 2021, 19:25

What are you like? Go on!!

let me practice my audio-erotic asphyxiation in peace thank you very much

:music