My Heart and Soul, They Are Free

A ton of new Tom Rowlands/Chemical Brothers titles registered at SACEM

Started by Ben_j, Mar 09, 2018, 10:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: hstn on Apr 19, 2021, 18:40

WE HAVE A PREVIEW AND A DROP DATE!!!! https://umusic.digital/udbtqf/?sharetoken=

AND MY GOODNESS IT'S BEAUTIFUL (AND IT'S THE ABOVE INSTAGRAM CLIP I POSTED!!!)

Thanks hstn!

The sound is still in the No Geography era! The Chems pulling an 'Avalanche' of some sorts with these type of tracks.

And im loving every second of it...or maybe not

I like the vocals,reminds me of some distant magical place, but the rest it feels like something I heard before. I'll let this ride out till the release for a full listen. So far it's ok but not sure to make of it yet!

Last Edit: Apr 19, 2021, 19:58 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Sounds chuffin good, but I get there's a familiarity with it. Definitely need to listen in full before passing judgement.

I'm hoping I can bag this on vinyl (I live nowhere near an RSD Shop though 😓)

"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

Just saw the post on fb, and came to chembase to know more, as always, you did your job!

The preview really hypes me up for the full track
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Getting Midnight Madness vibes, in terms of release timing.

Those low filter horns, can anyone pick off those in either the Bugaloos (oh dear god, I hope we don't attract any Proud Boy types to the forum due to the sample) or the Soul Brothers Six tracks?
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 19, 2021, 19:25

What are you like? Go on!! Yes, it's literally the words "I'll be loving you, yes I will" from my embed in repy #46 above. As per that lyrics website. Sounds like a direct sample from Soul Brothers Six. Sounds like a recreation of the Bugaloos part.
No it doesn't. I guess the laptop speakers on my new Dell ain't so hot. It's re-recorded.

Quote from: rynostar on Apr 19, 2021, 21:15

Those low filter horns, can anyone pick off those in either the Bugaloos (oh dear god, I hope we don't attract any Proud Boy types to the forum due to the sample) or the Soul Brothers Six tracks?

Wait, what? I can't hear any horns, and I didn't know that Bugaloos = right wing/ alt-right. V confused!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 19, 2021, 22:13

Wait, what? I can't hear any horns, and I didn't know that Bugaloos = right wing/ alt-right. V confused!

First 7 seconds (of the preview link) sounds like filtered saxophones to me....

I'm (badly) associating the name Bugaloo with Boogaloo Bois (Crazy right incel terrorists who hit  the Capitol building). The "Bugaloos" probably don't have any right wing / alt-right connections.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Thanks HSTN for the preview link! Well, the "all arooound you" vocals sound a bit strange in this short clip at the moment but the second half is pretty exciting to me, especially when the drums kick in. Just give me some proper drum rolls here and there and I'll be a happy man.
Like InDust mentioned, the first half does have some Avalanches Surrender remix vibes, maybe that's why it sounds so familiar. Looking forward to the whole thing, I do love me some new Chems stuff! The song's message is what I need right now, too.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 16, 2021, 14:42

BIG EDIT. Also one of my fellow countrymen(!) in the Netherlands has pretty much confirmed that The Darkness That You Fear (full title) is indeed this year's Chemical RSD release.
Is this "Irishfan" by any chance? He was also the one breaking the secret news about Midnight Madness back in 2007.

Last Edit: Apr 20, 2021, 16:37 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Apr 20, 2021, 09:40

Thanks HSTN for the preview link! Well, the "all arooound you" vocals sound a bit strange in this short clip at the moment but the second half is pretty exciting to me, especially when the drums kick in. Just give me some proper drum rolls here and there and I'll be a happy man.

This! My exact feelings spot on.

I would like the track to have some type of impact such as no geography ( the track,not the album) but not too soft ( like swoon

Needs to be somewhere in between those two opposites maybe!

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: VMan on Apr 19, 2021, 20:19

Sounds chuffin good, but I get there's a familiarity with it. Definitely need to listen in full before passing judgement.

I'm hoping I can bag this on vinyl (I live nowhere near an RSD Shop though 😓)
Quote from: inchemwetrust on Apr 21, 2021, 16:17

This! My exact feelings spot on.

I would like the track to have some type of impact such as no geography ( the track,not the album) but not too soft ( like swoon

Needs to be somewhere in between those two opposites maybe!

In a way it reminds me of a lot of what Tom produced for the Klaxons, specifically this:

This remix when played at WHP 2013 was thought to be a new chems track which is prolly why it feels familiar

And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

I just heard the other two excerpts from the new song on Apple Event from yesterday (at the beginning and end of the video).
It is so beautiful! I can't wait to listen to the full track this Friday!  :music

Just get yourself high.

Is it coincidence Peppermint Patty (though a cartoon and minus the known tomboy aspect) has the same features of Bugaloo girl and was a hint all this time?

After letting the song settle in, I'm kinda baffled the Bugaloos (and or the person who wrote the Bugaloos song) gets no writing credit here. It's an integral part lyrically, and even more-so than the "I'll be loving you" part (which did get credit).

Also, appears to be two new entries (was 247 when I found The Darkenss You Fear, is now 249) on SACEM under: Thomas Rowlands

On mobile right now, so kinda cumbersome to find what's new. Have at it guys and gals, let us know what it is.

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 23, 2021, 19:53

After letting the song settle in, I'm kinda baffled the Bugaloos (and or the person who wrote the Bugaloos song) gets no writing credit here. It's an integral part lyrically, and even more-so than the "I'll be loving you" part (which did get credit).
Colour me baffled too.
A thought: this was a song written for a kids TV show over 50 years ago. I wonder if it's possible that the copyright has been allowed to run out?

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 23, 2021, 20:11

Also, appears to be two new entries (was 247 when I found The Darkenss You Fear, is now 249) on SACEM under: Thomas Rowlands

Don't get too excited. It seems today's tune has been listed a second time, this time with the missing "That" which wasn't in the original title listing.
In addition an instrumental listing has been added too.
I guess the instrumental will be of interest to Chemical completists around here, but isn't quite as exciting as you had perhaps hoped, Detective Bosco.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Darn, well thanks for doing the grind work there. Was hoping the new entries might spill some further details on upcoming RSD release.

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 23, 2021, 19:53

Another thought: Sacem may simply be incomplete.
Let's take another example. Shut Up And Drive by Rihanna. A song so famous it has its own wikipedia page.
Loking at the writing credits on there, we can see Rogers, Sturken and all four original members of New Order. Why? Because if you listen carefully you can hear the basic Blue Monday chords playing on guitar underneath the vocal.

On the  PRS site (Sacem equivalent in the UK) it also lists these songwriters, and it even lists the per centage split of the royalties. But on Sacem, none of the New Order members are listed; just Rogers & Sturken. It's incomplete.
Unfortunately you have to be a member of PRS to access their site for info.

We've already seen weird spelling mistakes and broken-up song titles on Sacem. Even TDTYF was listed with a word missing, so they've now listed it again.
I wonder if Sacem have simply made an error in not listing the Bugaloos song writer.

Annoyingly there are very few performing rights/copyright wevbsites that can be easily accessed without membership. Sacem and the Israeli equivalent are the only ones that I know of...

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 24, 2021, 12:48

Another thought: Sacem may simply be incomplete.
Let's take another example. Shut Up And Drive by Rihanna. A song so famous it has its own wikipedia page.
Loking at the writing credits on there, we can see Rogers, Sturken and all four original members of New Order. Why? Because if you listen carefully you can hear the basic Blue Monday chords playing on guitar underneath the vocal.

On the  PRS site (Sacem equivalent in the UK) it also lists these songwriters, and it even lists the per centage split of the royalties. But on Sacem, none of the New Order members are listed; just Rogers & Sturken. It's incomplete.
Unfortunately you have to be a member of PRS to access their site for info.

We've already seen weird spelling mistakes and broken-up song titles on Sacem. Even TDTYF was listed with a word missing, so they've now listed it again.
I wonder if Sacem have simply made an error in not listing the Bugaloos song writer.

Annoyingly there are very few performing rights/copyright wevbsites that can be easily accessed without membership. Sacem and the Israeli equivalent are the only ones that I know of...

Yup, you're right on all of this.

The only thing I can add is, unless we're the artist being sampled, it shouldn't really matter to us. We're just ravenous fans that are maybe a bit too nosey for our own good.

That being said, I won't stop until Uncle Eddie barks at me and says to go to time-out.
Last Edit: Apr 24, 2021, 18:31 by Bosco

It seems the Bugaloos vocal is a direct sample. Here she is; joined twitter today.
Presumably looking for a vocal credit rather than a writing credit (as she didn't write it).

https://twitter.com/Carolin51917585/status/1385937949062279171

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1386040149847547907
https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1386040983633137669
Last Edit: Apr 24, 2021, 20:19 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

When I saw these tweets about spelling out the sample sources, I nearly thought this might be a response from HQ to our shenanigans.  ::)

Not sure how I feel knowing that Caroline Ellis was left in the dark prior to the release of this track, but then again like Wolkenkrabber has said, she wasn't the writer or owner of the lyrics even though she sung them. So is there legal grounds for crediting a vocalist? I have no clue.

I have no problems with her being a little miffed. Hope they get her name on the physical release (and maybe edit the digital release) and display a vocal credit or simply featuring Caroline Ellis.

I don't think this is relevant here, but I recently read this twitter thread about Taylor Swifts music and IP laws, and this stuff is weeeird:
https://twitter.com/ThatsMauvelous/status/1380572708879089674

Failing to give proper credit, especially by big artists, doesn't look good, but I assume that the band, or their management, or the record label, or whoever, pays people to check these things, and that those people don't give a fart to give credit where it's not legally required.

You would think that with a prominent and almost untouched sample like this a clearance check would be a given (do we know who the IP owner is?). I can't imagine otherwise, I mean the brothers and labels are no rookies in that department and would certainly try to avoid legal battles. I also believe the Bugaloos would be credited in a phyical release like they always do with direct (clearly discernable) samples, perhaps we're going to see that on RSD?!?.
Like Bosco said, it would have been nice, though, if they had reached out the Bugaloos to let them know.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)