Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Discussions on difficult subjects

• 2rbo Nutt37
  • The ChemBase Team
  • Reining in the bots that freed themselves
There's certainly a lot of great people who write great and interesting content there.
One thing I love, for instance, is the many scientists writing about their field, so that, if you follow the right people, you can hear some of the chit-chat and banter from experts about topics you're interested in.
Of course there are decent people, too, and I know my statement was generalizing. I also admit to be lurking every now and then (would never open an account though). But reality shows, that often the loudmouths and blowhards get the most attention and shitstorms of any kind are generated by a handful of folks compated to the vast majority of non-users, blown fully out of proportion due to media coverage.

Seriously, what is wrong with (45% of) this country? I'm so fucking sad looking at this.

Was this a twitter poll? If so, you can sleep better knowing that these are hardly representative. Just a subset of a portion of society that's on a social platform. They usually mean jack. It's like MAGA folks who measure their influence by the crowd size of their rallys or the number of likes on social media, forgetting that the vast majority of people couldn't care less about spending time at a political rally or on social platforms.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."

• Pioneer
Seriously, what is wrong with (45% of) this country? I'm so fucking sad looking at this.

:o

• Peter the Bellboy
  • The ChemBase Team
This is a real measure on the recent ballot. With 64% of votes counted, there are currently 45.7% of Oregonians who are bat shit fucking crazy.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

• 2rbo Nutt37
  • The ChemBase Team
Ah, I see. Well, yeah, that's batsh*t crazy. It's probably a tribal thing and the measure was introduced by Democrats, and that can't surely be something good in some minds. "They want to take something aways from us, it's history!".
This is what the Republican party has been quite successful in, especially under the former president, to emotionalize everything and distort facts beyond recognition and under no circumstance address the real substance of a matter.

I watched Jordan Klepper's "Fingers the midterms" last night, and this was, again, quite revealing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttCZZ-w3BMg

There was a great comment that summarized it perfectly:
As Jordan has demonstrated time after time, you can walk these people down a logical path, where they agree with everything until the conclusion. Then they jump off the path and express an opinion completely opposite of what they were just agreeing to. [...]

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."

• Galvanizer
This is what the Republican party has been quite successful in, especially under the former president, to emotionalize everything and distort facts beyond recognition and under no circumstance address the real substance of a matter.

The same can be said about the Left's approach to identity politics (racism, gender issues, sexism).

• Burst Generator
  • ONE MAN WILL RISK EVERYTHING TO SAVE HIS FAMILY.

Batshit!
Well if you don't like it you could always "go home" (as a couple of Brexiteers have said to me). Things are clearly far more restrained and reasonable in the UK at the mo.

Oh, hang on
https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1577559323957284864

(for those not following the story, the UK has agreed a deal with Rwanda where Asylum Seekers arriving in the UK get flown to Rwanda for "processing"...and left there. Or at least that's the plan/"dream"). I would suggest that Suella is the kind of person who likes to pull the ladder up behind her.

The Right are quite good at blaming problems on foreigners! The Tories have been in power for 12 (twelve!) years. Things are shit? Point at the foreigners.
https://twitter.com/theRealRayThomp/status/1587174206059560960

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1587164254720999427

Ahh the irony of Brexiteers voting for less foreigners...
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2022, 17:42 by Wolkenkrabber »  
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
every day of my life,
I fear no evil for The Lord is with me.

• Galvanizer
If people really wanted to deal with that hateful bullshit, rumble, parlor, truth social, the chans, etc. would not only be more popular, but also they would have experienced and capable tech people wanting to deal with that kind of bullshit as well. On a related note, knowing that 8kun has become almost constantly an unusable forum recently due to spam and hackers makes me very happy.

• Freak Of The Week
  • The Future, I'll See You There
JFC, Trump loses like one election and now he calls for the constitution to be terminated. Men are clearly too emotional to handle politics.

But don't worry, in 2024 the right will unite behind DeSantis, who is just the same authoritarian white nationalist, but ~respectable~. Can't wait for all the so-called concervatives who, for years, drooled over Trumps incoherent blabber, to rejoice that finally, the GOP will be ~respectable~ again.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2022, 22:51 by Stefan »  

• 2rbo Nutt37
  • The ChemBase Team
JFC, Trump looses like one election and now he calls for the constitution to be terminated. Men are clearly too emotional to handle politics.

Oh no no! Read his newest intellectual outpour. His words were all just twisted by the fake news media!!11eleven!!
I'm currently reading tweets from right wingers who either really want to believe that or claiming he's playing 4D chess or saying it only to piss off the other side, aka gaslighting. It's both hilarious and sad at the same time.

At least one silver lining emerged last week. Kari Lake, the failed Arizonan Governor hopeful and election results denier, not only lost her case  (which was ruled on in August) where she sought an injuction to suspend "electronic voting systems" for the midterms. In that lawsuit, among other things, her team demanded, Arizona needed to use paper ballots - you know, the thing they already use (duh).
Last week, for good measure, her lawyers got sanctioned, too, because they knowlingly brought a frivolous lawsuit - a ruling that is relatively rare. They will now have to pay the legal fees of the Arizonan election board.
And boy, did they get whacked in that ruling:
The Court has already concluded that Plaintiffs’ claims are frivolous in that they are
“both baseless and made without a reasonable and competent inquiry.” Townsend, 929 F.2d
at 1362. It further agrees with Defendants that under the circumstances, it was objectively
unreasonable and vexatious for Plaintiffs’ counsel to initiate additional, time- and resource-
intensive preliminary injunction proceedings based on frivolous claims and to continue
making false and misleading representations about Arizona elections. The remaining
question under Section 1927 is whether Plaintiffs’ counsel acted recklessly or in bad faith.
See Blixseth, 796 F.3d at 1008. The Court concludes they did.
[...]
Imposing sanctions in this case is not to ignore the importance of putting in place
procedures to ensure that our elections are secure and reliable. It is to make clear that the
Court will not condone litigants ignoring the steps that Arizona has already taken toward
this end and furthering false narratives that baselessly undermine public trust at a time of
increasing disinformation about, and distrust in, the democratic process. It is to send a
message to those who might file similarly baseless suits in the future.
Kari Lake vs. Katie Hobbs
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2022, 23:12 by Csar »  

You must be logged in to post. Login or register!