Jerk Chicken

History of changing setlists, rarities, and other unique features

Started by Bosco, Jun 30, 2018, 06:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Remind me what tracks were uniquely featured during the 2011 tour. I'm looking at some of the setlists and they are all over the place.

I was at the Coachella show where we got denied Superflash, but we did get Three Little Dirty Down Beats, and a complete version of Don't Think.

I'm looking at some of the Mexican dates a few days prior to Coachella, and at the time I vaguely remember reading they were playing EBW6/Hoops, did that really happen?

An Australia date via setlist fm saying EBW4, really?
Last Edit: Jul 07, 2018, 21:56 by Bosco

Three little dirty down beats was before HBHG, Don't think was full song with ladder visuals

Yep, they played Hoops/EBW6

Also, Snow/Surface, Dissolve/Reel/Devil, Cherub Choir (if you will) after Superflash. And as it was technically a 2010/11 tour they also played Horse Power and Another World.
Last Edit: Jun 30, 2018, 08:32 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Despite what setlist.fm might say, every set was:

Intro - Tomorrow Never Knows (Junior Parker)
Another World
Do It Again / Get Yourself High Vox
Horse Power
Chemical Beats
Swoon
Star Guitar
Three Little Birdies Down Beats
Hey Boy Hey Girl
Don't Think
Galactic Phase Shift Interlude
Out Of Control / Setting Sun
Saturate
Believe
Chemical Rising
Escape Velocity / The Golden Path Vox
Superflash
Acid Clown Cherub Choir
Leave Home / Galvanize Vox
Block Rockin Beats

For the first half of the year, they used Galvanize as the intro instead, cut Another World, did not do the Leave Home / Galvanize mashup, and used James Tenney's For Ann - Rising instead of their own synths for the Escape Velocity intro.

And for the few shows that had encores, it was always:

Snow / Surface To Air
Hoops
Dissolve Interlude
The Private Psychedelic Reel (with Sympathy For The Devil)

Coachella was the only show that was different (cause of Kings of Leon), and it was the first set (w/ Galvanize intro), minus everything after Believe.

I could DEFINITELY be proven wrong here, but I don't know of any concert that had any surprises or changes from the normal setlist, beyond the standard synth improvisations.
Last Edit: Jun 30, 2018, 17:40 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

What I recall is Galvanize was initially the opener after the pre-release shows for Further up until around Coachella, then for the remainder of the tour (including Fuji) threw in Another World.
Last Edit: Jun 30, 2018, 17:18 by Biff

But didn't Come With Us have a short revival as the opener somewhere? Wasn't it mixed with Music:Respone or something?

My memory is fuzzy.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I think they reintroduced (read: I've been on this forum for 16 year and my memory is deteriorating) CWU before further for a short bit (late WATN? late PTB?) and has the visuals of the dot face before Further came out. They were white and I recall synced to the lyrics of the song. Let me go run to YouTube....

Edit: my memory is 8/10. They did that, but as an encore in late WATN shows:

Either way, I'd argue that chem shows get exponentially better after every break of their tour, especially starting with WATN. That was a long tour and they started doing stuff like ^ that, as well as Nude Night, the crazy Big Jump break in the middle of Do It Again, the heavy acid line on Golden Path, the introduction of the acid line on Galvanize (which I'd argue made it better than the album), etc. Also late PTB is when they introduced Wonders of the Deep and Animal Song. Then later BITE I think brought the epic version of Hoops, TPPR w/sympathy for the devil, and a few others. ::::Magic happens after the 25th show:::::

Edit (2): The Pills Wont Help You Now was another late WATN add on 🤯
Last Edit: Jul 01, 2018, 00:51 by Biff

^I'm not editing my post for a 6th time, but this appears to be late WATN too:

Quote from: Biff on Jul 01, 2018, 00:41

Either way, I'd argue that chem shows get exponentially better after every break of their tour, especially starting with WATN. That was a long tour and they started doing stuff like ^ that, as well as Nude Night, the crazy Big Jump break in the middle of Do It Again, the heavy acid line on Golden Path, the introduction of the acid line on Galvanize (which I'd argue made it better than the album), etc. Also late PTB is when they introduced Wonders of the Deep and Animal Song. Then later BITE I think brought the epic version of Hoops, TPPR w/sympathy for the devil, and a few others. ::::Magic happens after the 25th show:::::

Yup - They even played It Began In Africa once in 2007 before Out of Control at Eindhoven:

And at the same 2008 show where they surprise opened with Come With Us they had this crazy version of Out of Control with pitched cowbells and the Chemicals Good / Bad sample:

2005, late 07 and 08 were loaded with weird stuff like this. It's so cool that the trends returning.

Quote from: Biff on Jul 01, 2018, 00:41

Thank you! That's totally what I tried to say in another post, but wasn't quite able to pin down. It's what I noticed, too, over all these years with each bootleg I listened to or show I attented myself. That's why I usually love those later shows a bit better because they usually explore bolder, more experimental routs that make them even more exciting. I could listen to set after set of each tour and wouldn't get bored at all because there's so much to discover in each show.
Boy was I psyched when they dropped Morning Lemon for the first time in Berlin at the Velodrome Arena in late Sep. 2005 or when they made this awesome breakbeat intro for BRB in 2005 in their London gig that I had never heard before. Or that other time in Berlin Spandau, when they played EBW 10 for the first time in 2008, which was also that gig where I heard the Pills for the first time as well (of which I managed to capture a few seconds for which I could keep punching myself to this day). Seasoned Chems are the best!

Quote from: Biff on Jul 01, 2018, 00:57

Ha, just noticed going through my images: I can't really remember if they played that track or if it was just a brief segue but I took some pics of that dot-face at the afore mentioned Berlin Spandau show in 2008 which was a postponed show from 2007.

Edit: Nope, it was, like you said, just the vocal sample mixed with Leave Home as the encore's opener.
Last Edit: Jul 01, 2018, 20:22 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Went ahead and changed the title of the thread being that the discussion has flowed through different tours.

Problem/Question (December 2005)
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

In 2005 there was a rare break between Galvanize and B.R.B., which I think sampled beastie Boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DXHYseanw&ab_channel=SBRK
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Anyone have the recording of My Elastic Eye live in 2002? I want to say it was Le Zenith, but I don't have it on my hard drive for some reason.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 01, 2018, 22:25

Anyone have the recording of My Elastic Eye live in 2002? I want to say it was Le Zenith, but I don't have it on my hard drive for some reason.

Here you go. It's a masterpiece also!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/pgranc

Edit, it's even on YT

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jul 01, 2018, 21:26

In 2005 there was a rare break between Galvanize and B.R.B., which I think sampled beastie Boys.
That's the one! The best BRB intro to date imo, especially when it was played during the sets.
Last Edit: Jul 02, 2018, 07:47 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jul 01, 2018, 22:35

Here you go. It's a masterpiece also!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/pgranc
I FORGOT ABOUT THAT SYNTHLINE IN THE MIDDLE.

Does anyone know if this was played at any shows other than Le Zenith? It's so good!

Quote from: Biff on Jul 01, 2018, 00:57

Honestly, I thought it was at least 16 years ago when they last played CWU live.  Can't believe I didn't know they played it more recently.  Been dying to hear that song live since the first time I heard it. Man, I hope they bring it back at some point for their tour. 

Can anybody find that rare camera clip of the chems playing Got Glint in 2005? It had the visuals for Flashback (which was also an occasional addition)

And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

what about the visuals (or a video) for under the influence from 2002. been searching for years.

Quote from: Csar on Jul 01, 2018, 22:35

That's the one! The best BRB intro to date imo, especially when it was played during the sets.

but whats the sample?
Last Edit: Jul 02, 2018, 18:30 by Conn6orsuper117
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."