If You Ever Change Your Mind About Leaving It All Behind..

Please reissue early vinyl only releases digitally

Started by neorev, Jul 24, 2018, 02:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Dear Tom & Ed,

I'm not a vinyl guy, but I absolutely love many of tracks off your early vinyl EPs, especially Her Jazz. I really wish the brothers reissued their early vinyl as Dust Brothers digitally or perhaps include the exclusive tracks from them on a B-Sides Vol. 2. Hey, it has been a long time since the first B-Side collection.

So if Tom & Ed are listening, please, please, PLEASE give us digital editions of My Mercury Mouth, Fourteenth Century Sky, and other early Dust Bros. records.

Seriously, this track deserves more love and respect...

Please.

They literally can't due to lack of clearance for the samples.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 24, 2018, 02:18

at least my meucury mouth EP? I can't find the title track anywhere now.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Are you talking about HerJazz? Because 4 of the 8 Dust Brothers tracks were later re-released as Chemical Brothers
no idea, no idea

Given their status and success, why is it so hard to get clearance on samples from 20+ years ago from songs that are much older? You'd think most artists would want the new exposure and royalties, and it's a given seller for the Brothers.

WN- Are there specific tracks/samples that you know are sticking points? Is it like a Beatles thing?

Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: neorev on Jul 24, 2018, 02:10

So if Tom & Ed are listening, please, please, PLEASE give us digital editions of My Mercury Mouth,
Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jul 24, 2018, 02:44

at least my meucury mouth EP? I can't find the title track anywhere now.
Disc 2, track 5.

Also Her Jazz Track 10

EDIT: Most of Dust Up Beats (non wipeout version) is HERE (last track).
Last Edit: Jul 24, 2018, 14:24 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Song to the Siren (Full Sabre Mix)
Song to the Siren (Sabre 100% Chunk Mix)
Dope Coil
Her Jazz
My Mercury Mouth
Dust Up Beats (two versions - I know at least one was problematic at the time)
Be That Thing*

These are what we need. Am I missing any? What specifically is holding these back?

Looking here, it seems like Dope Coil has the most samples, including the Beach Boys...

Who Sampled?

*Added as edit.
Last Edit: Jul 24, 2018, 19:47 by satur8
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 24, 2018, 13:54
Also Her Jazz Track 10

I love that UK Tribal Gathering '95 CD set.

And I also have My Mecury Mouth on: This Ain't Trip Hop? and Dust Up Beats on here: Wipeout 2097

So maybe it is Dope Coil causing the biggest issue. Still, we really do need a complete release with a bit of touch up remastering by Tom and Ed.

If it's all about the sample clearance, what about an indirect form of payment? Like an official fan club where you pay to have access. They could pretend to offer some kind of service (early access to tickets!!!11!!) and then give away free items like the tracks mentioned in this thread, and maybe DJ mixes. In this case, I'm not sure everything has to be licensed.

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jul 24, 2018, 16:30
Be That Thing
Thanks. I've edited.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 24, 2018, 13:54

Disc 2, track 5.

Also Her Jazz Track 10

EDIT: Most of Dust Up Beats (non wipeout version) is HERE (last track).

Have these. Sadly Dust Up Beats misses its intro and is faster BPM than the original vinyl version.

Quote from: satur8 on Jul 24, 2018, 13:55

These are what we need. Am I missing any? What specifically is holding these back?

Looking here, it seems like Dope Coil has the most samples, including the Beach Boys...
I'm parroting what Tom and Ed said in interviews (especially around the time of Singles 93-03, where they didn't reissue any either), but I think it's a combination of the samples and probably a belief that they're "past" this work, or that their old tracks were a bit sloppy... who knows.

Essentially they don't want to reissue them, and it also wouldn't make anyone money to do so either, so there they are.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 24, 2018, 19:45

If it's all about the sample clearance, what about an indirect form of payment? Like an official fan club where you pay to have access. They could pretend to offer some kind of service (early access to tickets!!!11!!) and then give away free items like the tracks mentioned in this thread, and maybe DJ mixes. In this case, I'm not sure everything has to be licensed.
I would love this so much... but it seems like Tom and Ed really like the traditional format of releasing singles / albums / b-sides, and radio shows for DJ sets when it comes to releasing things.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 25, 2018, 19:58

I'm parroting what Tom and Ed said in interviews (especially around the time of Singles 93-03, where they didn't reissue any either), but I think it's a combination of the samples and probably a belief that they're "past" this work, or that their old tracks were a bit sloppy... who knows.
That would be a sad rationale. My Mercury Mouth is an early masterpiece!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Feels like we've been here before...

1.Song To The Siren (Full Sabre Mix)      NEEDED
2.Song To The Siren (Sabre 100% Chunk Mix) NEEDED
3.Song To The Siren (Original Dust Brothers Mix). ON CD

4.Chemical Beats  ON CD
5.One Too Many Morn. ON CD
6.Dope Coil    NEEDED
7.Her Jazz        ON CD

8.My Mercury Mouth    ON CD
9.If You Kling To Me I'll Klong To You ON CD
10.Dust-Up-Beats (common vinyl version) NEEDED
11.Dust Up Beats (Wipeout version) NEEDED sort of. (although we do have a rare digitised version of the cassette which is even longer than the version on the Wipeout soundtrack).
12.Be That Thing ON CD.

Of the 12 Dust Brothers tracks, seven are on CD (in full, at the right speed)
Five are "needed". One of those we have a rare digitised cassette rip of. Maybe that reduces it to 4, depending on opinion.

Mr Neorev as you are a professional musician/producer and as you have been keen on this subject for a while (I think you tweeted the Chems about it a while ago too?). Maybe you could find a way of digitising the remaining 5 (or 4?) "needed" tracks. I'm sure there are professional services that could do this for a small fee if you don't have a USB turntable.

I think we have to accept that the Chems aren't gonna reissue these old tracks.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: neorev on Jul 25, 2018, 19:54

Dust Up Beats vinyl and the one on Wipeout XL are different tracks.
The Wipeout version is also on vinyl - on the My Mercury Mouth E.P.
It's complicated, but Sherlock Whitenoise explains it all here: https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,309.0.html

Quote from: neorev on Jul 25, 2018, 19:52

Have these. Sadly Dust Up Beats misses its intro and is faster BPM than the original vinyl version.
As far as i've learned through the years, the only full release of Dust-Up Beats (the one from the Wipeout soundtrack) is on a late My Mercury Mouth E.P. promotional release cassette. And this version is ace!
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jul 25, 2018, 22:28

The Wipeout version is also on vinyl - on the My Mercury Mouth E.P.
It's complicated, but Sherlock Whitenoise explains it all here: https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,309.0.html
As far as i've learned through the years, the only full release of Dust-Up Beats (the one from the Wipeout soundtrack) is on a late My Mercury Mouth E.P. promotional release cassette. And this version is ace!

Damn, I never hear this cassette version. Has a lossless rip ever shown up anywhere?

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 25, 2018, 20:27

Feels like we've been here before...

1.Song To The Siren (Full Sabre Mix)      NEEDED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3EMpwNCxVY&t=0s&index=5&list=PL1C0152E4EFADFB8A&ab_channel=moonzoom32
Better DL it while you can ;)
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."