It Doesn't Matter

Rank the Chems Albums (one last time before the new one comes out)

Started by WhiteNoise, Sep 29, 2018, 04:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bosco on May 31, 2019, 19:58

:bump:

Maybe a little early to bump this, but I'm interested in the early take of where 'No Geography' ranks among everyones list so far.

Haha, coincidentally, there's YT-guy who had the same idea the other day
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Bosco on May 31, 2019, 19:58

:bump:

Maybe a little early to bump this, but I'm interested in the early take of where 'No Geography' ranks among everyones list so far.

I'll bite (geddit  ;))

1. Come With Us / Surrender
[ 3. Brother's Gonna Work It Out - if we're including that beast]
3. No Geography
4. Dig Your Own Hole
5. Further
6. We Are The Night
7. Exit Planet Dust
8. Push The Button
9. Born in the Echoes

This actually changed a little since the last time I ranked. Obviously with the addition of No Geography but also, EPD has been rocking my ear drums lately to much more success than I originally (naively) gave it credit.
Recency bias puts No Geography higher than it may end up. But with the supporting tour, and the overall magic around the release - it's up there for sure.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I stopped watching as soon as he put EPD at 7#!  >:D

YOU STINK POTTER!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Gods:

1. Come With Us
2. Dig Your Own Hole

Royalty:

3. Further
4. Surrender
5. Born In The Echoes
6. Exit Planet Dust

Royal Bastard:

7. No Geography

Knight:

8. Push The Button

Jester:

9. We Are the Night.

3-6 will always fluctuate. However, it typically will be headlined by 'Further' simply because K+D+B is godlike. 'Surrender' got a slight bump from my previous list based on the fact I've been listening to it a lot lately (especially because of the rumored news).

'No Geography' is stuck in limbo for me. It sounds good, it feels good, but it just hasn't left a significant impression on me. I mostly have a positive reaction towards all the tracks; maybe it's the track arrangement that is throwing me off.

I will say, 'Got To Keep On' is not a favorite of mine. With it being followed up by 'Gravity Drops' (which I find interesting on it's own, despite its criticism) is a bit of a long gap in the album that breaks the momentum for me.

Fortunarely, I could never rank them and I won't probably ever be able to. All of them bring something to the table and put a puzzle piece to the whole picture. I don't wanna miss a single one of them.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Taken from my 1st impression review of NG:
Gonna be a little more generous and highten Further's rank. O:-)
Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Apr 18, 2019, 22:35

1 Dig your own Hole
2 Surrender
3 Exit Planet dust
4 We are the night
5 No Geography
6 Come with Us
7 Further
8 Push The Button
9 Born in the Echoes
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

So the Chems retweeted this on 1st June but the results were already in on 29th of May?

https://twitter.com/Albumism/status/1134772542143680512

Well, it's a slightly larger voter base than the forum  - over 2000 people voted. So I guess it has some merit.   Results.
I wouldn't have No 4 that high, but other than that, the order is acceptable I think.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Dig your own Hole (Ebank/GOILT/K-Hole/PPReel)
No Geography (Eve/NoGeo/Universe/MAH/Catch)
Exit Planet Dust (LeaveHome/ChemBeatz/1TooMany)
Push the Button/Further (Galvanize/Hold Tight/LR) (Escape/HP/Swoon)
Come with us/Surrender (CWU/GB/Star/The Test) (M:R/Infl/GG?/HBHG)
Born in the Echoes (SIFSD/GO/UNL/EML)
We are the night (DIA/Modern)
Last Edit: Jun 09, 2019, 23:26 by JRSZ
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Surrender
Dig Your Own Hole
Exit Planet Dust
No Geography
Further
We Are The Night
Come With Us
Hanna
Push The Button
Born In The Echoes

I can put on any Chem Bros album and listen to it from start to finish, EXCEPT Push The Button and Born In The Echoes.
Last Edit: Dec 20, 2020, 20:25 by neorev

1 - Push the button
2 - We are the night
3 - Dig your own hole
4 - No Geography
5 - Come with us
6 - Surrender
7 - Exit planet dust
8 - Born in the echoes
9 - Further

Surrender
Dig your own hole
Come With us
No Geography
Exit planet dust
Further
We are the night
Born in the echoes
Push the button

Dig your own hole
No Geography
Exit Planet Dust
Further/Push the Button
Surrender
Come with us/We are the night
Born in the echoes

Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

• Dig Your Own Hole
  • Further
  • Come With Us
  • Surface To Air (had to exclude this from PTB - would rank this #1 if they release a proper studio version of snow/surface)
  • Exit Planet Dust / Surrender
  • Fourtheen Century Sky + My Mercury Mouth + Loops Of Fury
  • No Geography
  • We Are The Night
  • Hannah / Born In The Echoes
  • Most of the b-sides, non album tracks and behind the couch tracks
  • Push The Button
no idea, no idea

can't believe all the hate 'Born In The Echoes' is getting. I love that album. Think it's one of their strongest of recent times. I love them all but Surrender/Dig Your Own Hole are clearly the masterpiece's. Up there in the greatest albums of all time not just Tom & Ed records. For the rest i think it really depends when you discovered the Chemical Brothers + what memories you have attached to that time. I thought 'We Are The Night' was the weakest but listening back there are strong moments on there. Hey even 'Denmark' sounded great the other day so who knows. Overall their track record is insane though considering they've just worked through, no splits etc for the past nearly 30 [!] years. We should all be extremely grateful. Mary-Anne Hobbs once said that to tell the real strength of an act listen to their b-sides prior to dropping 'Base 6'. So many LP's where the single flipside's outweigh what made the album but there you go. More treasures to reward our hunts. Keep safe

New guy here to make you guys upset 👋
and after skimming through your lists, I've apparently got some pretty controversial opinions. I'm glad I found this forum after making this video.

Quote from: OneMansTracks on Nov 04, 2021, 16:43

New guy here to make you guys upset 👋
and after skimming through your lists, I've apparently got some pretty controversial opinions. I'm glad I found this forum after making this video.

Why would anyone hate on you?
It's just your personal opinnion ;)
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Hi and welcome to the forum, OneMan!

No one will hate on anybody around here. We all come from different walks of life and share different or similar opinions, praises, criticisms or whatever it is. Feel free to share what's on your mind and have fun around here! Our forumites are one of the nicest I know!

And btw, I think I watched a previous video about the Chems by you some months back.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Nov 05, 2021, 09:34

No one will hate on anybody around here.

That's not completely right. For example i really don't care about that one guy, think his name is Csar, because he asked for K+B+D instead of K+D+B  ;)
no idea, no idea