Music That Triggers Some Kind of Response

Chemicals to World (Under Social Lights)

Started by Csar, Jul 02, 2015, 20:38

Previous topic - Next topic
I was under the influence

of Christmas
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I have started a new thread for this? I dunno. Interview re-tweeted by both Brothers this morning. I've only listened to about three minutes of it so far. "How we met" (Adam and the Chems)...

https://twitter.com/CreativeReview/status/1107662971600322560
IT'S MORNING TIME!

So first thing I took away after listening to that interview was, I think Tom and Adam are around for the long haul. I'm not sure where Ed stands in all of this, but it's apparent that Tom and Adam are hungry to create a Chemical Brother experience for a long time.

Things that peaked my interest:

• Again, very positive vibe about the future of the band and where they can take it

• Tom: "not yet" in answer of an (old) album anniversary type gig. "Not on top of list of things to do". Weird part, question was asked by Adam. (I'm probably looking into this too much!)

• Very critical of own visuals. Looks like they retired 'Go' skaters (they are not keen on the fit), and spent a long time on visual concept for 'Star Guitar' that they eventually scrapped before introducing.

• Adam possibly working on VR and interested about AR visuals. Some visuals already shot in 3d and are projects for future?!

• They saw David Byrne last year and loved the show. So did I  ;D

Long interview. But fun!

Edit: I just listened again to them discussing the Star Guitar concept bit, and now I'm not sure if was used or not. Maybe referring to stargate thing that hovered over them in 2011? That was pretty short-lived.

I know audio wise,I would prefer if they laid off the 'Temptation' vocal cues in the newer live version of 'Star Guitar'. I understand trying to keep something fresh, but it doesn't sound right to me. That really doesn't have to do with visuals though, so I don't know if they were alluding to that in the interview.
Last Edit: Mar 19, 2019, 22:23 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Mar 19, 2019, 20:10

it's apparent that Tom and Adam are hungry to create a Chemical Brother experience for a long time.
Yes! That was probably the biggest single take-away from the interview.

• Tom: "not yet" in answer of an (old) album anniversary type gig. "Not on top of list of things to do". Weird part, question was asked by Adam. (I'm probably looking into this too much!)
I thought it was fun that Adam asked that question. Like a fan question that could have been asked in an "Ask Tom" interview.

Long interview. But fun!

Yes. For people thinking: TL; Didn't Listen, here's a little synopsis kinda thing, with a couple of comments from me in square brackets.

0.00-6.00: Meeting at Sabresonic, Adam live visuals for Sandals (of Feet fame), Tomato (Underworld's lot), "Art-verts".
6.00 - 10.00: Tom discussing DJ-ing in the corner not with everyone facinng the DJ, Chems travelling to Japan to play a 20 min set "like the Jesus And Mary Chain or something". Slide projectors bought from the army, "bikini alert".
11.00- 16.00: Tom playing music to Adam to see what it represents in Adam's mind. Adam just got the new set for this year in last couple of days. Have we seen enough of certain visuals? [well if you think about that guys, why haven't you changed HBHG?]. Star Guitar visuals that were "wrong" and did not get used live [so you just leave us with some lights? You could chuck in Gondry's classic video, no?]
17.00- 25.00: GTKO video mentioned, Adam talks about watching from the crowd and making Don't Think. Tom watches live Chems Youtube footage! Adam: The music is the script. Tom: We want the "too much" moments.
26.00-30.00: Tom talks about process of releasing an album, still obsessed with the running order of an album. [is someone using a chainsaw in the background?].  Tom discusses Concert Videos v Music Videos and people moaning that the GTKO video is different from the live visual. Tom mentions Enjoys criticisms in reply #96 of the GTKO thread and says "that's the power of the internet!". Adam says he really likes Gondry's video. They discuss Further being played live in full at Roundhouse before the album was released. Tom sounds like he has mixed feelings about playing that much new stuff. Adam asks if they would play a classic album.
30.00 to End: They talk about wanting a live immersive experience. Interaction of lights and projection (Galvanize), wanting to recreate the "pea soup" of Turnmills/Social at Ally Pally, Adam looking at VR and mentions Galvanize (again) and Go. Adam says he has a load of projects waiting to go (re Chems visuals I think). Adam wants to mix: Ghost train + Rave + Art Installation "It's a psychedelic experience man".

IT'S MORNING TIME!

I don't know where to start...

Immersion, dumped visuals for SG, Tom mentions Enjoyed, Galvanize projection, 'Go' visual got the boot  >:(  and TOM WATCHES OUR CONCERT VIDS!

So much to chew on!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

It's nice to know they only performed for 20 minutes when started. Gives me encouragement if I ever to get to that stage and have the guts to do it in a dive bar somewhere.

Fun fact I didn't know: Adams dad being the creepy leader clown.

I'm glad the interviewer asked about the decision to keep old visuals and the thinking behind it. Though she wasn't aware of the Further visuals??
Surely the visuals they spend a lot of time, belief and money in the Star Guitar ones weren't that bad? better than aggressive red stripes currently?

Next project sounds like a theme park rave experience. Great to hear they are excited about the future with the possibilities.

I don't know about you guys but I didn't get the vibe that Ed isn't committed as much as they are just because he wasn't at the interview to defend himself? Hopefully its just an overreaction.

...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: MIKL on Mar 20, 2019, 04:16

I don't know about you guys but I didn't get the vibe that Ed isn't committed as much as they are just because he wasn't at the interview to defend himself? Hopefully its just an overreaction.

Ed wasn't available at the time for that interview (3/13) because he was away on vacation for about a week! Source: check his insta.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 20, 2019, 05:32

By name!?

nah!

after finally listening, I think Wolken feels you were referenced on that interview though!
go to 28:05

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Mar 20, 2019, 05:51

nah!

after finally listening, I think Wolken feels you were referenced on that interview though!
I was being a bit cheeky there, just to see if people were paying attention (but maybe he was thinking of your comments Enjoyed?). I think everything else I "reported" was pretty accurate though.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Mar 20, 2019, 05:51

Listening to the whole thing now. But I did skip to that point.

It's fair enough using a music video as another opportunity to visually portray the music. But it doesn't mean fans can't compare the two (live visuals and music video) and decide if one is 1000% better than the other.

Sorry Tom. Gondry's attempt just doesn't take the biscuit.

We've Got To Try, however... I'm super excited to see how they do the live visuals for that, assuming we get it live.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

"I adore Chemical Brothers. I don't really listen to music at all, apart from Enya, Chemical Brothers, Leonard Cohen and maybe some heavy metal. I got to listen to the album with Tom Rowan and even slept in his attic because I forgot to book a hotel. It was really wonderful. I listened to the tracks and knew right away so wrote the melody and lyrics at the airport where I was stuck for three hours. Then Tom just took care of his favourite parts and that's how it happened."

https://www.nme.com/news/music/aurora-inspiring-billie-eilish-chemical-brothers-explosive-new-album-different-kind-human-2472751/amp

I'd pay top rent to live in his attic!

Awwww, Uncle Tom being hospitable n'shit

waiting for future track from either Aurora or Tom titled 'attic pixie'

How many of you said that she was a Chems fan? She didn't even know what Galvanize is it even at the beginning of 2017.

Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Explud on Apr 06, 2019, 00:03

How many of you said that she was a Chems fan? She didn't even know what Galvanize is it even at the beginning of 2017.
Maybe she only is listening to Her Jazz, Loops Of Fury and Lost In The K-Hole?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Explud on Apr 06, 2019, 00:03

Uhm, yeah, but, but, but... she got to sleep in Tom's attic and you didn't! :P
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I tweeted this at them following the listening party announcement...does this mean something?  :o ;D
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Apr 10, 2019, 10:56

https://twitter.com/eddychemical/status/1115867532345454593

Cher:
I went to your show and lost my mind
I wish I didn't sing if I could turn back time

Ed:
don't be so mad just be by my side
Along as you just keep on getting me high

I GOT YOU ED
I GOT YOU ED
I GOT YOU ED
I GOT YOU ED

IIIIIGOOTTTTTTYOUUUUUUUUUUUEDDDDDDDDDD
Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019, 16:26 by inchemwetrust