Back With Another One of Those Block Rockin' Beats

Rock music thread... and its various forms

Started by Bosco, Oct 13, 2018, 01:38

Previous topic - Next topic
Whats you favorite artists? Got any new, or maybe older tracks to share? Any news you want to share? Let's do that here.

First things first. When addressing  Garage Rock, we pronounce it "ga raaj", not this "gerridge" nonsense. However, In the electronic realm, "gerridge" is  the high English pronunciation (if you want to be taken seriously)...

Good. Now that that is taken care of, lets rock out.

I love me some good old Garage [Ga raaj!!!] Rock! The drums from the golden era  (60's) is absolute bliss, and I highly recommend for those who love 'Dig Your Own Hole' and 'Exit Planet Dust' listen to some of the great Garage Rock playlist out there. You'll find a ton of gritty and lo-fi influence that flow in artists of today. If you've been following some of the songs I list in the "Now Playing" thread you'll see I love to go back to this era frequently.

I'm pretty sure this has been shared on this forum before, but I think this is great example of a world class pop song, getting a gritty makeover with a jump in tempo.

Let me "start the commotion"

(Maybe this one will work for out of USA)

Last Edit: Oct 13, 2018, 04:48 by Bosco

So you want to do a sort of "now playing" for rock in particular? Or for Garaaaage Rock to be even more particular?

So this would preumably be ok (well it's better than OK, it's great!):

But REM's rockier numbers, or Iron Maiden might not fit here?
Or is it anything with guitars and drums? I mean Born To Run by Springsteen is a brilliant rock song, but I don't know if that's what you got in mind.

Rough Trade shops made Iggy Pop's "Post Pop Depression" their album of the year in 2016. And I have to say that Iggy and Josh Homme with help from an Arctic Monkey did make a great Rock album. But do any Chems fans care? I don't know. Underworld fans seem to actively dislike Iggy at the moment.

Speaking of Arctic Monkeys, are there any "guitars & drums" bands that have popped up and made a real impact since those guys? I can't think of any truly significant ones.
Having said that, this litle band of upstarts might have something about them:

BTW Bosco, your Wild Child video doesn't play here in UK-land.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

This topic was made to talk about any facets of rock music that you guys might find interesting. In a forum where we are so focalized on electronic music, I just want to open a thread where rock music might be educational for younger members, and a trading post of recommendations for senior forum members. So yes! Lets talk REM, Arctic Monkeys, Iggy Pop, and I guess Bruce Springsteen...

It will probably just turn into another NOW Playing thread, like you mentioned,  but amuse me for awhile.  I'll try and update it along the way with anticipated releases or just general musings.

The Sonics are a great recommendation. As a matter of fact lets just say they're the godfathers of Garage Rock. They weren't a commercial hit, but they exude the spirt and the sound of the early days of the genre, not to mention made fucking great tunes.

When LCD Soundsytem repeats 'The Sonics' as their influences towards the end of the the song "losing my edge" its for good reason.

Spoiler

As for rock musicians gaining momentum, check out Greta Van Fleet. They mimic Led Zeppelin:

Last Edit: Oct 13, 2018, 04:58 by Bosco

I love Nickelback, Bon Jovi & Kings Of Potatorock
no idea, no idea

Nickelback has always been bad, but I feel sorry that they're the butt of all music jokes. It's  low hanging fruit at this point.

to continue your list of jest...

Bon Jovi and the hair band generation is a difficult one to weave through, the toxic amount of cheese can leave you incapacitated. There's moments of glory, but it requires patience and an inebriated state of mind to find. Kind of like the movie 'Beerfest' where they have to be shit-faced to find the Beerfest Tournament.  I'll stand up for Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" though.

I know they're not popular here because of the Coachella incident (was it them just them playing past their slotted time? or was there more to it?), but The Kings of Potato Rock (The Kings of Leon, for those who are not yet aware) released a good debut and sophomore albums, before they went Nickelback. Whoops! Did I do that???

Speaking of Potato Rock:

Last Edit: Oct 13, 2018, 20:49 by Bosco

Well...

I like Avenged Sevenfold! The Beatles! Nirvana! Motley Crue! Pink Floyd! Metallica! Megadeth! Styx! Tool! Bon Jovi! The Rolling Stones! Ozzy Ozborn! Black Sabbath! AND Steppenwolf! :P
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I have soft spot for Wanted Dead of Alive and You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi, I don't mind admitting.
I'm not that sure that Greta Van Fleet really mimic Led Zeppelin, guy has fortune (or misfortune) to have good rock vocal that reminds a lot of Robert Plant. As far as I gathered, Greta are quite sick of the comparison. I've heard Highway Tune live from Coachella that was plagued with electrical failures and some bad drumming. But they are so very young, I expect they'll improve quite a bit. Here it is:

One of my all time favorites is The Passenger, that never fails to make my feet tap. Iggy is a force of Nature. It is the very essence of rock to me. Simple and powerful. I love the way it was recorded! It's raw, cheeky and doesn't really give a fuck. Fantastic!
I'm a grunge boy and accordingly, my taste is predictable. Seattle sound all the way.

Speaking of older rock, I'm with Jack White that said he doesn't trust anyone who doesn't care for Led Zeppelin. I also really love White Stripes albums. But I kind of hate Jack White, with his constant whining about cell phones and easily accessible modern PC's that can record quite a good sound from your bedroom and with it 'anyone can make music and drown good artist in that flood of crap being produced daily'. I'm paraphrasing a bit but you get the gist. I detest that sort of argument.

I love Rolling Stones' albums from 60's and 70's. I have Hot Rocks compilation from that time and I still listen to it regularly. Their later work is not doing it for me.

Anyone seen 'It Might Get Loud'? I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it and loves rock.
I actually mostly listen to CB from 'electronic' world of music, most of my list is world music and good 'ol rock. 'Creep' that I'm listening right now says hello.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

MAAAAAAATTTTHHHH ROOOOOCCCCCCKKKK

It's always been my favourite sub-genre of 'rock'. I actually wrote an essay on it for university and how it links very closely with minimal music and particularly the compositions of Steve Reich.
There's something just incredibly fun, percussive and direct about the genre that resonates with me in a way that more traditional rock music doesn't quite.

What I really enjoy though, is following bands that began as pretty by-the-books math rock bands and seeing how they evolve and which aspects of that original sound they choose to hold on to. If any.
Foals was a fantastic example. SUPER mathy early tracks and demos, followed by a pretty punky/mathy debut. Then a much more 'commercial' sophomore (produced by the wonderful Luke Smith of Clor fame) that kept some of the guitar sounds and drum stylings, but placed into much more straightforward, almost pop, tracks. I love it, and those evolutions.

A few recent(ish) examples I've been(/am still) head bopping too...

I'll do another post some other time with some older examples.
And Battles.
Before Tyondai left.
Because even if you want to technically call it electronic music, when you have members of Helmet, Don Cabellero & Lynx in one band, you're going to have fight pretty hard for a 4/4 rhythm.

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Saw this band last night at Dingwalls in Camden.
A less angry Nirvana meets Lana del Rey? Same line up as Nirvana: Drummer, bassist, singer/guitarist. They have been compared to Mazzy Star by others which I guess makes sense, as Lana undoubtedly borrowed an idea or two from Mazzy.
The singer, Sade is kinda eye-catching (although not as beautiful as Mazzy's Hope Sandoval once was). But she's had a haircut, so she looked a bit like Jim Morrison in the half-light of Dingwalls last night.

L.A. WITCH - Baby in Blue Jeans

L.A. WITCH - Drive Your Car

IT'S MORNING TIME!