My Heart and Soul, They Are Free

Requests, Bug Reports, How-To's, etc.

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 03, 2015, 16:06

Previous topic - Next topic
Thanks WN.

BTW does anyone else here use Firefox? I have a lot of trouble these days with websites that have a lot of adverts embedded in them, e.g Metacritic.com, Tinypic (ugh, it's taking too long to even link to the site) and now even the wonderful Guardian newspaper. Just me?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 07, 2017, 14:56

Just me [using Firefox]?

I think so buddy.
I don't know why anyone would choose not to use Chrome.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 07, 2017, 15:53
I think so buddy.

Privacy and resource usage are the main factors.

Incognito mode in Chrome is okay for privacy but inconvenient if you are using other Google based items, such as gmail of google Docs. That said, it still runs heavier than Firefox, which is easily customizable and can offer better security in addition to privacy.

Chrome is certainly easiest if you want your browser retaining your credit card info and such.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I use Chrome at work, IE at work for necessary intranet work, Firefox at home, and a mix of Dolphin and Safari on my mobile. People say they like Opera but it's just not for me.

My point is, there is no rule that one can't utilize different browsers for different needs. That is, as long as IE is always your last choice.  8)
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 07, 2017, 14:56

Thanks WN.

BTW does anyone else here use Firefox? I have a lot of trouble these days with websites that have a lot of adverts embedded in them, e.g Metacritic.com, Tinypic (ugh, it's taking too long to even link to the site) and now even the wonderful Guardian newspaper. Just me?
Yes, I've been a longtime user of firefox. In my opinion it's a great and simple browser that, like satur8 pointed out, offers some good add-ons for privacey and ad-blocking. I use a combination of 3 add-ons:

- Ghostery for general tracker blocking
- AdBlockPlus for adblocking and
- NoScript for general java-script blocking.

The latter needs a little tweaking/ customization. That means, you would need to go through a list of scripts each site is trying to run. You can then allow or deny them operating in your browser simply by clicking each script in a scroll-over or conext-menu. You would have to do this just one time for each (new) website, but often times these are just a 2-3 scripts that are necessary to run a site. In that mentioned scoll-over menu you then see scripts you've blocked. You can also block them temporarily or permanently. It can be a little weird or even tedious for the first time but once you get the hang of it, it becomes a really good tool. And once all is set up to your needs, you won't be bothered with useless scripts, ads and trackers anylonger that potentially slow down your browser.

As for firefox' speed performance, I also sometimes switch on "pipelining" in my "about:config" menu to make it a tad faster. You can read about it here (look under Firefox Pipelining): http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/speed-up-mozilla-firefox/

Also, I let firefox automatically delete almost all stuff used during a session (cookies, history, cache etc.) after closing my browser.

Btw, I have no problem opening your site above or Guardian's homepage and I only have a rather slow 6000kbit/s connection.
Last Edit: Sep 14, 2017, 10:46 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 07, 2017, 15:53

Chrome fanboy here too, but I can't deny Firefox is lighter on resources than Chrome. Gets better battery life sometimes.
Never for money, always for love.

On my PC i'm using Edge, but i'm not very satisfied with it, need to find an alternative - and that is not Chrome...
On my MBP it's Firefox i'm using, was fast at the begining, but now after a couple of years i think i've broke something in the user-profile and now it's slow as fuck (but i'm not in the mood of setting up a new profile so i have to deal with it).
On my Surface the browser of my choice is Opera, works best with touch-gestures imo.
Phone is IE Mobile because of no alternative...

I have no idea why i'm writing this :D

no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 07, 2017, 23:25
I have no idea why i'm writing this

Because we are very much in-between albums...

And thanks for the tip...I'll give Opera another try on my Surface.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 28, 2016, 13:06

If I go back into the post, it seems to fix itself.

Could it be something to do with the destination of clicking 'post' and it not counting towards the view count somehow?

The weird thing is that it's not every time, or the same topic each time.

EDIT: Just happened again and was NOT fixed by me going back into the topic... veeeery perculiar.

The fix is apparently to click 'Go Down' at the top of the thread. That removes a post I've already seen showing as unread for me. Does that help with fixing the issue at all?

EDIT: You have to go to the thread, click 'Go Down', then click to go back to the main topic (The Social, Live, whatever) and then click Forum 2.0.
Then it goes away.
Last Edit: Apr 27, 2017, 18:02 by Enjoyed
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

How do I insert images into a topic?

Click on "reply" instead of "quick reply" to open the editor. Then use the button below the B (for bold) which is to the left of that Earth and envelope symbol (hovering over with your mouse it says "insert image"). Then place your link URL between the brackets.

Or type the following: [img]your image URL [/ img] without the space after the backslash.
Last Edit: Sep 14, 2017, 16:56 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

On the previous page of this thread I mentioned that McAfee says this site isn't safe when I google it.
As of today, I'm getting a message from both Firefox and Chrome: they won't let me log in to the site at all. This is NOT McAfee.

FIREFOX: Your connection is not secure
The owner of forum.thechembase.com has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.
forum.thechembase.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on 05 October 2017, 00:59. The current time is 05 October 2017, 16:09. Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE

CHROME: YOUR CONNECTION IS NOT PRIVATE
attackers might be trying to steal information from forum.thechembase.com (for example passwords, messages, or credit cards)
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Subject: forum.thechembase.com
Issuer: COMODO RSA Doman Validation Secure Server SA
Expires on: Oct 05, 2017

So I used IE. But even IE warned me against using the site today. I had to defy the warning.
This is definitely new for me. I wonder if my login password is now exposed?

IT'S MORNING TIME!

got the same messages on opera and edge mobile. they say the certificate is outdated.
no idea, no idea

It's some delay of the Comodo cert center. The cert will be updated in a couple of days.
Don't worry guys. All credentials is secure.
Hi Kevin!

Our IRC chat is broken 'cause IRC servers are dead now.
I will drop that feature in next upgrade.
Hi Kevin!

Can it be that the forum clock just not accurate? I've posted something on 5:02am and it says I've posted it on 5:09am
no idea, no idea

test

Looks ok to me. Have you checked your own pc clock? I had to adjust the 1 (or 2) hour offset for daylight saving time in my account' settings, but a difference of just a couple of minutes seems odd.
In any case, the future, I'll see you there ;)
Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:01 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

oh, totally forgot to edit my post. somehow the clock on my mobile was wrong, even though it was on auto
no idea, no idea