Me, You, And Me, Him And Her, And Them Too

2019 Live dates (Info, tickets etc.)

Started by sneakerbeater, Nov 06, 2018, 07:50

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Csar on Nov 15, 2019, 23:37

Spoiler
It never ceases to amaze me how nuanced Adam's and Marcus'visuals are matched with the music. You can always spot certain elements being reflected in, like literally, lights' flickering, animations on screen etc. So much fun to watch and go "ah".

Holy shit. Those new visuals are incredible. Getting some serious Rez vibes. So psyched you guys got to see that - it looks magnificent.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Ben_j on Nov 16, 2019, 01:17

My videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLviZk_wl_9ejyywH2di3J_4ifUGCaFXvN

Sorry Ben, I totally pushed this to the bottom of the last page.
Here it is for everyone to find more easily.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

got goosebumps when EML Ritual dropped with Bango's Lyrics.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Ben_j on Nov 16, 2019, 00:45

I'm just back from the Paris gig, and it was a blast ! One of my favourite Chems show. The best thing was I HAD SOME ROOM TO MOVE. The complete opposite of All Points East where I was crushed during the whole show.
The spoiler posts above give out the new stuff, but here are my impressions:
Spoiler
The MAH => EML transition with Bango is awesome ! Thankfully I had not seen it so it was a surprise for me. Fun new visuals too, and the "Bango Bango Bango" vocal on the intro of EML is a great match.

I'm glad UTI is back instead of EBW6. The synth on EBW was not great and UTI just works better.

The new visuals for Got Glint are awesome, they remind me of the old EBW7 visuals with the vortex. I wish they'd add colors to the lines and lights at some point, it would make this even more perfect and psychedelic. And the mix with Catch me I'm falling at the end, wow! Cool new visuals for Catch me as well.

I really wish they'd ditch Wide Open and never bring it back ever, it feels like such a wasted spot, where they could play The Universe Sent Me or maybe something from Surrender, to celebrate the 20th anniversary... Oh well

Finally, they added a synth and beat at the beginning of TPPR but I'm not sure it works... There's nothing like the vanilla version!

I have some videos coming, but sorry in advance for the sound quality. I tried out my new phone (Pixel 4) instead of the Lumia and the verdict is the Pixel 4 microphones are shit.

Spoiler
I'm still betting on The Universe Sent Me being played, if anything for 2020...I refuse to let go of this dream
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

dunno if anyone pointed out the new Glados voice during Escape Velocity's intro, yet.

I can't make out what it says other than "I want you to go all the way..." or something
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Nov 16, 2019, 02:02

dunno if anyone pointed out the new Glados voice during Escape Velocity's intro, yet.

I can't make out what it says other than "I want you to go all the way..." or something

That's a vocoded Hope Sandoval!! They sampled lyrics from "Asleep From Day"

"I like the stars in the sky
And watch the moonlight go by"
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Gotta admit I'm not psyched about Under The Influence 2015 coming back - it always struck me as kind of an unsubtle EDM-festival take on one of their nightclubbier tracks in service of the Giant Prop Moment it had to accompany, and switching it out for "Hoops" made a lot of sense to me - but I guess that was the version of the show I got to see in person so I can't really complain.
Other than that (and the increasingly dispiriting absence of "The Universe Sent Me") it seems like they put their attention where it was most needed across the board: the "Bango" interlude is a fun, weird one-off musical/visual moment in the vein of TUBA that patches over one of the weaker transitions in the set, vocodered "Asleep From Day" is there to remind us they're sorting through the Surrender tapes, and "Got Glint?" and "Catch Me I'm Falling" have proper (& properly gorgeous!) visuals instead of just LASERS EVERYWHERE and theft of the proprietary "Surface To Air" ballerinas.
(Speaking of which, the cool new "Got Glint?" bit was first seen in "Block Rockin' Beats", which is usually just a pulp of unused visuals from previous versions of the set, so here's kind of a reaching theory that extends from when I first noticed it: this began life as the "Star Guitar" visuals that Adam says they scrapped, and LASER technology has now caught up to the point where they can pull it off to everyone's satisfaction.)
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Quote from: hstn on Nov 16, 2019, 02:55

That's a vocoded Hope Sandoval!! They sampled lyrics from "Asleep From Day"

"I like the stars in the sky
And watch the moonlight go by"
I'm not sure we got this in Paris. I didn't pay too much attention and thinkn we had the Timothy Leary quote.

Coming back on my remark on the sound of my videos, it's actually very decent with good headphones, only Catch Me I'm falling is over saturated. But still it would have not been with the Lumia

Am I right in thinking MAH>Believe is completely replaced now?

Milan tonight! Haven't seen the Chems live since 2005. Gonna be fun!

Quote from: Ben_j on Nov 16, 2019, 00:45

I tried out my new phone (Pixel 4) instead of the Lumia and the verdict is the Pixel 4 microphones are shit.
Ha, switched from my Lumia 950 to a Pixel 3a (the 4 is to expensive right now) one and a half weeks ago - and i already miss the Lumia more than my purse misses money.
no idea, no idea

Paris was indeed a blast. Blast on the Chems... And on the streets...

Definitely best show yet. They keep pushing it to the extreme. I love the setlist, transitions are perfect. So are the visuals.

UTI - DYOH Is the best segue ever. The new addition to Hey Boy Hey Girl from psychedelic mix is awesome. It needed a shake up like this.

It's been 24 hours and I'm still hyped. Can't wait for the next one.
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Wide Open still melts my heart. I need to hear this live myself one day.

Ed sure has a lot of fun. His dancing moves almost rival the ones from Future Islands' Mr. Herring.

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Nov 17, 2019, 10:09

Wide Open still melts my heart. I need to hear this live myself one day.

You know, I'd also like to vouch for "Wide Open" in the setlist (since this is apparently a point of contention)! I think it's the best amped-up live version of a track they've ever done, the blue-tinted Further visuals are a great fit (after they removed - again - the proprietary "Surface To Air" ballerinas and it no longer felt so crowded), and its current spot in the setlist makes the second half of their festival set feel more like an encore for the poor audiences who don't get the real one (myself included), in addition to being the best lead-in they've ever had for the notoriously tricky-to-segue "Galvanize". It's a major part of why I consider the No Geography tour to be probably their best pre-encore setlist ever.
(Though admittedly its presence does contribute to Born In The Echoes being the most-represented album in the subsequent album's tour since Surrender on the Come With Us tour - an era when all that was required to make room for the new stuff was cutting "Flashback"(!) and moving "Got Glint" to the encore, along with excising like 8 minutes of "Chemical Beats" - and even then the cut I would've been inclined to make was "EML Ritual", which they just put a lot of effort into making feel more necessary. Can't complain.)
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

I absolutely loooove Wide Open in the set! I'm disappointed they seem to have taken out the Don't Think vocal sample though. I thought that was a perfect fit.

Quote from: actionjackson780 on Nov 17, 2019, 20:30

I absolutely loooove Wide Open in the set! I'm disappointed they seem to have taken out the Don't Think vocal sample though. I thought that was a perfect fit.

Don't think vocal sample is before UTI
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Oh boy, so due to work commitments, I have had to miss the UK tour 🙈 what are the chances of Tom & Ed doing some more UK live dates in 2020 (not festivals!)??
"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

Quote from: kosek on Nov 17, 2019, 21:13

Quote from: actionjackson780 on Yesterday at 20:30

Don't think vocal sample is before UTI
Shoot I missed that! Still gonna miss it in Wide Open though

@Vman , I hope they do some gigs again, another Ally Pally would be wicked.
Did you have tickets for this UK leg?

Quote from: VMan on Nov 17, 2019, 21:36

Oh boy, so due to work commitments, I have had to miss the UK tour 🙈 what are the chances of Tom & Ed doing some more UK live dates in 2020 (not festivals!)??
I know it's not the UK, but they just announced a gig in Ireland next year.