Jerk Chicken

The new Live setup!

Started by KNE, Jul 04, 2015, 21:55

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Biff on Aug 10, 2015, 18:31

They might use Push because they switched to Ableton a while ago. Maybe crashing issues? I think live triggers are mostly done by the Octapad. Push might be for queuing stuff (layers or different synth lines), though it's hard to say at this point.
No, I'm pretty sure it's for triggering. Remember the midi keyboard with all the labels on the keys ? Well on the video you can see it's no longer there and the push pads have labels on them

We need closure! I'm gonna ask Matt Cox this on Twitter...
Last Edit: Aug 10, 2015, 19:43 by Biff

Ok, Matt was nice enough to explain the Push's function. Here are the tweets:

Me: "Hello Matt! I have a ? that's been debated on the Chems forum: is Push used for triggering sequences/layers or one-off samples?"

Matt:  "Hi David! Right now yes we trigger samples with Push..." "we also have b'up clips of stage synths with mapped control of filt, env and lfo to Push knobs and buttons, a work in prog!"

So it sounds like if they want to trigger sounds or if one of their synths goes wiggy they have a pre-recorded back up of the layer (read: when a Juno's voice chip goes out). As I mentioned in the thread on the Don't Think Under The Influence, this would probably account for why there are two acid lines at one point.

Quote from: Biff on Aug 12, 2015, 01:28

So it sounds like if they want to trigger sounds or if one of their synths goes wiggy they have a pre-recorded back up of the layer (read: when a Juno's voice chip goes out). As I mentioned in the thread on the Don't Think Under The Influence, this would probably account for why there are two acid lines at one point.

Except in the UTI case, the sample is played all the time. Which means it's not a backup but just there so that the sound is the same each time. I wonder what they use as backup... There are VST versions of the Juno (non official), MonoPoly and SH 101, but nothing for the rest. Or maybe it's just audio clips recorded from the real synths with Ableton effects after them

Quote from: KNE on Sep 10, 2015, 21:40

http://specialz.co.uk/Portfolio/2015/Chemical%20Brothers%202015.html

Good read here, about the live setup. ;D

Nice! I could have done with some diagrams at points though, Because I am a child and I need to visualise.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

file under stuff I totally want even though I have no idea how to use it. 

I'm not sure whether this was posted before but here's an article from last year on the Chems' stage design, listing all the gear for lighting and power etc. This is quite staggering.

http://plsn.com/current-issue/60-wide-focus/17901-chemical-brothers-mix-it-up-with-a-fresh-design.html

Gear

4 grandMA2 Light consoles

74 Clay Paky Sharpys

8 Martin MAC Viper AirFX fixtures

3 Martin MAC Auras

6 Ayrton MagicBlade R fixtures

12 SGM X-5 white strobes

8 Solaris LED Flares

2 Solaris T-Light 80K strobes

6 Par 16 birdies

1 Martin Jem ZR33 smoke machine

2 Look Solutions Viper S smoke machines

4 Catalyst media servers

1 ROE Hybrid LED screen (16.8m x 9.6m, WxH)

12 Beamburst lasers

2 Scanning head lasers

2 Chemical Brothers lasers

7 2000 kg CM Lodestar motors

10 1000 kg CM Lodestar motors

7 500 kg Kinesys motors

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

2 Chemical Brothers lasers, eh.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

wanted to quote that too
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 22, 2016, 16:34

2 Chemical Brothers lasers, eh.
Don't look em into their eyes, brotha!
Last Edit: Jul 26, 2016, 06:29 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jul 26, 2016, 06:03

Don't look em into their eyes, brotha!
but it's one of the six tasks you have to finish successfully to pass the acid test

the other five are:
5. explain where to start and where to begin
4. do the salmon dance
3. kling to them so they klong to you
2. don't think, just let it flow
1. answer what the airspeed velocity of an unlanded swallow is
Last Edit: Jul 26, 2016, 18:11 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea