But Now I Think I See the Light

Chemical Spotting

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Jul 05, 2015, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Csar on Aug 14, 2018, 18:28

Sarcasm?
No? Just genuinely impressed by the way they were transformed in the songs. And that people spotted them.
Never for money, always for love.

That is absolutely amazing, I love that The Salmon Dance might be inspired or even sampled from Beethoven ;D

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 14, 2018, 19:07

No? Just genuinely impressed by the way they were transformed in the songs. And that people spotted them.
Ha, I was just surprised that you were surprised because you usually tend to know those kind of things before many of us :D (and because the Dissolve and HTL ones were sort of old hats)
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Stefan on Aug 14, 2018, 20:58

That is absolutely amazing, I love that The Salmon Dance might be inspired or even sampled from Beethoven ;D

hehe    ;D
Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

Cool live rendition of Galvanize

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Aug 15, 2018, 09:58

Ha, I was just surprised that you were surprised because you usually tend to know those kind of things before many of us :D (and because the Dissolve and HTL ones were sort of old hats)
Some things just fall out of my head sometimes..

They must really have been on a Bette Midler kick when writing Further:

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 15, 2018, 23:22

Some things just fall out of my head sometimes..

They must really have been on a Bette Midler kick when writing Further:

Woah,good nose there, Whitenoise! Should we call it the Bette Middler phase?
— Aurora (The Seed)

No, no, no. There is only one version to that song and that is the originator, Jackie Wilson.

which is perfectly used at the end of the movie Death to Smoochy

probably in the top 100 songs ever made

Nothing against Bette Midler, but the voice of Stephanie Dosen  :-*
no idea, no idea

So i ear Go at the gym every now and then, which is unusal for the area I live in. I promise.

At the same time, i heard Go blasting through stadiums during the World Cup.

Another one popped up:

— Aurora (The Seed)

The search for all the samples used, is an obsession I don't understand. I mean, it's fun to show where some of the more straight forward ones like Kraftwerk, and its use in Leave Home. But the drum loops and effects from a lot of the Hip-Hop and Electronic producers that were noted, are most likely sampling their "original" material too.

Stop obsessing and dissecting everything on a technical level, and enjoy the music. If we take anything away from these sample videos, I hope it inspires everyone to go out and listen to more diverse music (which obviously Tom and Ed do).

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 19, 2018, 18:18

If we take anything away from these sample videos, I hope it inspires everyone to go out and listen to more diverse music (which obviously Tom and Ed do).
Or inspire people to freely sample creatively, and not get hung up on the idea that sampling isn't original. It's awesome the way they do this stuff and it inspires me to think about cutting up and using music the way they do.

I'm not ashamed of them using so many samples, but divulging all of this is a bit much. This feels similar to watching a movie with directors commentary on. Informative? Yes. But, it sucks the soul out of the film (or in this case album).

I do understand some of you producers out there are interested in learning their secrets, and thats fine. But at some point you gotta rely on your own instincts and use your own interpretation of sampling and production. Seeing ALL the magic behind the curtains doesn't build a creative mind.

tl;dr, these videos are getting a bit excessive.   
Last Edit: Aug 19, 2018, 20:57 by Bosco

I really wanna know where that "ROCK IT! sumtinsumtin" sample in Chemical beats is.
Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 14, 2018, 16:13

All three of those are on WhoSampled.
huh. musta missed that, Im there practically on a regular basis
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Does anyone know this festival where OOC was played at? One of the hashtags says elrowofficial and also Paul Kalkbrenner, although I can't imagine him playing such a tune since he only plays his own stuff.

— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 19, 2018, 20:51

...but divulging all of this is a bit much. ...

tl;dr, these videos are getting a bit excessive.
As far as I can tell every sample in both these videos is on WhoSampled. Even the description of "multiple elements" (e.g: a Stereo MCs sample for Leave Home) in the video above is the same as on WhoSampled.

So I guess all the WhoSampled contributors have compiled these as a sort of "hive mind". I'm not sure you can stop a Youtuber from then putting them in a video. Personally I think they're fun, and a whole lot less fiddly than using the website. But I imagine if I didn't like them, I wouldn't watch.

Quote from: Csar on Aug 20, 2018, 10:25

Does anyone know this festival where OOC was played at? One of the hashtags says elrowofficial and also Paul Kalkbrenner, although I can't imagine him playing such a tune since he only plays his own stuff.

Elrow was in London this weekend at what used to be the 2012 Olympic Park (next to the Vel-o-drome). Click THIS. That insta is from Sunday but Kalkbrenner played on Saturday. Have a look at the Sunday lineup. Fatboy perhaps? Claptone tends to be more house-y doesn't he? EDIT: Claptone Setlist. Idris Elba played this set (yeah he DJ's but no way should he be near the top of a festival lineup!). Not sure what the guys lower down the bill play. Can't find a setlist for Fatboy Slim (although there's an Elrow related listing from the 11th). The fact that it was dark in the insta clip and it's light during Claptone & Elba's sets means it's almost definitely Fatboy.

ps: Look at the track Idris started with. Dropping a hint?

PPS: Late edit: One more thought. Maybe the OOC clip was from Saturday night, and maybe it was being played in between the named DJ's during the "waiting around bit". It might explain why a lot of people are standing around chatting. They're waiting for Mr Kalbrenner.
Last Edit: Aug 20, 2018, 19:48 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Probably gonna dig deeper than I need to...

I just don't see how documenting large amounts of potential samples and sampled elements, that were more than likely not cleared, can help The Chemical Brothers. Whether we think they were done tastefully and legally or not, is completely subjective. Most of these samples are obscure enough that they would never be surfaced , or at least shared to so many, without todays technology.

:::puts on tin foil hat:::

Considering how shrewd the music industry is, I wouldn't be shocked if in the near future the music labels re-visit the grey area of copyrights in a big way.  Again, the technology is there to compile a class action lawsuit where artists like The Chemical Brothers could very much be at risk, again (see Setting Sun lawsuit).

Then you have these sample videos that show the parallels from sample  to sampled. It seems harmless, but it's basically free work, for a very vulnerable area in music. You think WhoSampled or YouTube contributors  will get payed for identifying these samples? Of course not.

::: hat off:::

P.S. Idris should make a great 007

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 20, 2018, 19:24

I just don't see how documenting large amounts of potential samples and sampled elements, that were more than likely not cleared, can help The Chemical Brothers.
So what's the solution? Should people stop contributing to the ever-growing database that is "WhoSampled"? Or should Youtubers stop making videos based on info they got from that database?

Who stops them? Does this affect free speech? As an old manager of mine used to say: "Don't bring me problems, bring me solutions!"

[EDIT: I'm pretty sure the two Swallow tracks that made up most of One Too Many Mornings were cleared. A lot of these other samples are drums. No one pays for drum samples, as James Brown used to point out in the 90s when Funky Drummer was massively sampled. Both he and drummer Clyde Stubblefield would have died much richer men if that were the case (RIP to both of them). The Winstons had the same issue with the Amen break. So I wouldn't worry too much about all those drums.]
Last Edit: Aug 20, 2018, 20:11 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

There is no solution really. There is too many moving pieces to pinpoint a direct answer to this problem. But yes, I'm intertwining my personal preference with objective caution.

Your old manager is a dolt. That quote reeks of "don't supersede my authority, but do my job for me!".

Edit: It just came to me that my "dolt" comment might come off a bit malicious which was not my intent. I just don't agree with the philosophy, and find it a bit dated.
Last Edit: Aug 21, 2018, 04:56 by Bosco