When You Start Hating, You're Out of Control

Chemical Spotting

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Jul 05, 2015, 11:58

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, car companies are all over Go. Even the ones who can't afford to license it and thus pay for a 'surely-this-has-to-be-infringing-on-copyright' tribute version.
coughMITSUBISHIcough
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Feb 28, 2018, 18:48

I can't remember which car company it was but they had GO! playing in the background during a super-bowl commercial.

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Lost In The K-Hole within a not so good documentation about fitness products on German tv
no idea, no idea

I forget if we post Chemical Samples in here as well...

I was just having a splendid 'ol time listening away to my K-Pop playlist and I noticed this Chemical noise. I remember hearing it before but doing nothing with the information. So here it is:

The siren sound at 1:29 is veeeeeeeery very similar to the siren screeching from Underworld's remix of Leave Home.

Wouldn't you agree?

(sirens start at 1:23)

Block Rockin Beats was used as a promo for the virtual reality game for the the Kiss Me First Netflix Series. Episode 3 at the start.

The whole series was a frustrating mess. Hours of my life I want back. Just another 'edgy' series worried about being more confronting with shock value more than making sense of plot development.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Nice dance performance to a Get Yourself High edit.

Last Edit: Jul 18, 2018, 15:55 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Just heard Star Guitar at Paris McDonald  :o

Do you know your Chems samples? Lets get enlightened!

Last Edit: Aug 13, 2018, 01:05 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

So is the reason they replaced "I sing the funk electric"sample with "let's turn this thing electric" because of clearance issues/ royalties?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Aug 13, 2018, 08:59

So is the reason they replaced "I sing the funk electric"sample with "let's turn this thing electric" because of clearance issues/ royalties?
I guess we'll never know for sure (unless someone "asks Tom"). You agree with all these in the video, Csar?
I'm guessing the Youtuber just went straight to WhoSampled for these.
The GO sample was a bit of a surprise. I wonder how long that's been on WhoSampled. I previously couldn't make my mind up whether the vocal was singing "Go-oh" or "oh". I guess it's "oh".
I wanted this video to be longer. He's done several for the Prodigy. Maybe a part 2 and 3 are in order.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Csar on Aug 13, 2018, 08:59

I always thought it was because the sample sounded like it was saying "sing the fuck electric" - and they were just avoiding the potential loss in radio play from having a swear word. I thought I read that somewhere too.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 13, 2018, 15:11

I guess we'll never know for sure (unless someone "asks Tom"). You agree with all these in the video, Csar?
Well, not with everything, tbh. I thought that Mozart bit, where the author claims it was recreated for the Salmon Dance, was far fetched and I doubt it's true at all. Also, I'm a bit sceptical about the alleged ARR drum sample too. Although, Tom, in an old interview, once prided himself on deforming samples to the degree of non-recognizabilty of its origins, so it could still be true after all. But I think it just sounds too different and ARR's beat is so simple, why even sample it in the first place?
Then there's the SIFSD vocal which is probably also recreated (as you mentioned in another thread about other samples) rather than directly sampled or at least modified because you can hear Tom's voice being overlayed.

Yeah, Go was surprising for me either. I always thought it was just part of q-Tips vocals.
— Aurora (The Seed)

they most likely took whitenoises video since its the only audio available :D
but nice catch with dont think, Hold Tight London and Lost in the K-Hole. couldn't find those on whosampled
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Funny they used some bootleg remix cover for Hey Boy Hey Girl.

That Go sample is both a really impressive find and use. And the Hold Tight London one. And the Dissolve one. Wow.

I never pegged the Three Little Birdies beat as a Lyn Collins sample. I'm impressed.

I don't know how I feel about the All Rights Reversed and the Beethoven one - absolutely hilarious if The Salmon Dance line indeed began with Beethoven.

Interesting how they missed the Take This Brother sample is in the middle of the track too, not just the intro.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 13, 2018, 15:21

I always thought it was because the sample sounded like it was saying "sing the fuck electric" - and they were just avoiding the potential loss in radio play from having a swear word. I thought I read that somewhere too.
I still hear "who is this doing this synthetic kinda alpha beta psychedelic *fuckin*" every time.

Last Edit: Aug 14, 2018, 16:47 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

So no one's arguing with the Star Guitar/Bowie thing at the mo? Nor am I, but I thought someone would.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 14, 2018, 15:38

And the Hold Tight London one.

Mr Biff mentioned this one in 2017 (although his embedded vid is blank now) and I replied blathering on about how royalties probably weren't paid as the song was based on a song by The Doors that had only been played live HERE. Now if The Doors had the Rolling Stones' lawyers...

I don't know how I feel about ... the Beethoven one - absolutely hilarious if The Salmon Dance line indeed began with Beethoven.
As soon as I heard Beethoven I went: "oh Salmon Dance!" So I'm leaning towards a yes on this.

I still hear "who is this doing this synthetic kinda alpha beta psychedelic *fuckin*" every time.
Yep.

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Aug 14, 2018, 00:03

nice catch with dont think, Hold Tight London and Lost in the K-Hole. couldn't find those on whosampled
All three of those are on WhoSampled.
Last Edit: Aug 14, 2018, 16:23 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 14, 2018, 16:13

So no one's arguing with the Star Guitar/Bowie thing at the mo? Nor am I, but I thought someone would.

They're very similar, but the tipping point for me in this argument is in The Chemical Brothers track name, 'Star Guitar'. If thats not pointing a finger to its origin, I don't know what is.

That Go sample is both a really impressive find and use. And the Hold Tight London one. And the Dissolve one. Wow.
Sarcasm?

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 14, 2018, 16:13

Yep.
Yeah, coz you're two naughty guys!

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 14, 2018, 18:21

They're very similar, but the tipping point for me in this argument is in The Chemical Brothers track name, 'Star Guitar'. If thats not pointing a finger to its origin, I don't know what is.
But is it a sample, though? Or more an inspiration?
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Aug 14, 2018, 18:28

But is it a sample, though? Or more an inspiration?

Too tough to call. I don't have hard data, but trusting my ears, Star Guitar's take is a lot faster.

Either way, this isn't a blatant rip for me. The only time I get that "oh, that sounds familiar" vibe, is when they are played side by side like this. Still my favorite song ever.