Free Yourself

BBC Radio 6 Desert Island Disco mix by the Chemical Brothers

Started by Stefan, Jan 08, 2019, 19:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey,

The Chems will play a new mix on Lauren Laverne's show this Friday:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001yx3

I don't assume that they will play completely new material from the upcoming album, but a new mix should be fun nonetheless!

DISCO MIX   :o
Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

nice, it's been a while!
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jan 08, 2019, 19:58

nice, it's been a while!
I think the 2015 Christmas Mix on BBC was the last one? Gosh that was already three years ago!

Hi, I'm Tom from the Chemical Brothers, and you're listening to my mix on Apple Beats 1 Music.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

If its a disco mix I feel like its a good platform to debut Got to Keep On hopefully. But they've just release MAH so too soon for another?
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: MIKL on Jan 08, 2019, 22:03

If its a disco mix I feel like its a good platform to debut Got to Keep On hopefully. But they've just release MAH so too soon for another?

They might play the original Dance With Me by Peter Brown.

What other disco tracks do we know that the Chems like? I guess they could play El Coco's Mad As Hell...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jan 09, 2019, 00:22

They might play the original Dance With Me by Peter Brown.

What other disco tracks do we know that the Chems like? I guess they could play El Coco's Mad As Hell...

Maybe inspiration behind Got Glint as well? I know I tracked down Stone Roller by Arpadys a while back they played from the Confront your demons mix because I loved that track a lot.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: MIKL on Jan 09, 2019, 10:04

Maybe inspiration behind Got Glint as well? I know I tracked down Stone Roller by Arpadys a while back they played from the Confront your demons mix because I loved that track a lot.
Yeah, that's a lovely tune!

The whole Confront Your Demons mix is one of their best. Someone in the chems FB group actually was able to buy a copy of it. Need to check with him again for a good qual r..

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Problem: Lauren Laverne has moved from a good spot to an much earlier spot - and i'm on my holidays so i don't want to wake up early just for this.
Solution 1: Listen to it later on the BBC website or, if i somehow move across the UK, using the BBC iPlayer Sounds app.
Solution 2: You, my dear peeps, are riping this und putting this up for me to download

Loud thinking: Maybe Ed's putting H.I.A. in this mix
no idea, no idea

Nice, one unreleased track was played after MAH.
But now i'm listening the mix, and i think that was a snippet neither a full track.
Last Edit: Jan 11, 2019, 10:58 by Explud
Hi Kevin!

I think the tracklist is all over the place. The Red Axes track is not played after MAH

Ok, Red Axes is played as a snippet at the beginning of MAH. "Unreleased track" I think is a vocal snippet with an acid loop at the beginning of the Masters at Work track.
Vocals go "We've got to try", and I think it's Aurora.
Last Edit: Jan 11, 2019, 11:17 by Ben_j

Lovely little mix. Especially the segues between Optimo Jam/ Magico Disco and Kraftwerk's Europe Endless was superb. Brought back some Christmas Mix feelings.
Their unreleased track had a bit of a 60/70s experimental feel to it, less electronicy.

If anyone is interested, I recorded the show, just sent me a pm.

Quote from: Ben_j on Jan 11, 2019, 11:07

I think the tracklist is all over the place. The Red Axes track is not played after MAH

Ok, Red Axes is played as a snippet at the beginning of MAH. "Unreleased track" I think is a vocal snippet with an acid loop at the beginning of the Masters at Work track.
I thought it was the one that comes after Masters at Work, sounded so chemical.
Last Edit: Jan 11, 2019, 11:47 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Thank you! Great mix, yes! Can any of you share the tracklist?  :music
You are all my children now!

Quote from: SouthernBrother on Jan 11, 2019, 18:58

Thank you! Great mix, yes! Can any of you share the tracklist?  :music
It's in Stefan's BBC link above, starting with Millenium's Desert and going all the way down to Kraftwerk's Europe Endless which closes the mix.
— Aurora (The Seed)

I haven't had time to listen to it, but have you noticed this in the official tracklist:

32 The Chemical Brothers
Problem FX

There's some Chemical history connected to tracks named "Problem", so might this be something special?

Quote from: Stefan on Jan 11, 2019, 21:23

I haven't had time to listen to it, but have you noticed this in the official tracklist:

There's some Chemical history connected to tracks named "Problem", so might this be something special?
That's what I hoped for, too, but unfortunately it's not. It's more like a segue effect that sort of sounds like the outro of Contact off of Daft Punk's RAM album.
— Aurora (The Seed)

The new unreleased tidbit (if I'm pinpointing it correctly) has an Avalanches type production quality to it.

Here is my crack at the vocals:

"I know we can make it go

...yes, I know we can make it go

...If we just tryyyyyyy

...we've got to tryyyyyyy"

Agree with Csar, I really enjoyed the last few tracks on this mix.

Quote from: Ben_j on Jan 11, 2019, 11:07

"Unreleased track" I think is a vocal snippet with an acid loop at the beginning of the Masters at Work track.

Ooh, it's Saturday morning chez moi, and I haven't had a chance to listen to this yet. Just managed to find the bit you're talking about. I don't think it's Aurora, i think it's a MALE voice (a la Michael Jackson) and it may be a black one (not sure if Michael Jackson still relevant). I don't think it's actually Michael Jackson though (cause: sample costs and also we'd know it, probably). It's too soulful/funky a vocal to be Aurora.

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 11, 2019, 23:47

The new unreleased tidbit (if I'm pinpointing it correctly) has an Avalanches type production quality to it.

Here is my crack at the vocals:

"I know we can make it go

...yes, I know we can make it go

...If we just tryyyyyyy

...we've got to tryyyyyyy"
Won't argue with your Avalanches comparison, will argue with your lyrics.

It's gotta be: "I know we can make it GIRL" etc
I'm struggling with the last vocal line though: "just don't matter what I be baby".  Or something.

I also think there may be tracks in the mix not mentioned at all on the BBC page. But it's 4am and I should be fast asleep. May add more comments tomorrow/today.
IT'S MORNING TIME!