Who's Hungry?

BBC Radio 6 Desert Island Disco mix by the Chemical Brothers

Started by Stefan, Jan 08, 2019, 19:24

Previous topic - Next topic
Without headphones I can see how you hear "girl". But with headphones. I'm still hearing "go".

Additionally, I just realized 'Europe Endless' reminds me of New Order's 'Your Silent Face'
Last Edit: Jan 12, 2019, 09:01 by Bosco

I heard "girl" as well at first listening but now I think it's "go" too. And I agree with Wolkenkrabber, her voice sounds soul-ish. Too bad they didn't talk about it a bit, what it is or was meant to be or if it just fell behind one of their sofas etc. pp.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

it's shazamble

I've yet to investigate it fully but it's definitely from this track:

EDIT: 3:05 and beyond you'll find all the notable parts
Last Edit: Jan 12, 2019, 09:04 by Bosco

Smooth!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

and it's "girl"... so assuming this is part of a new track, I'm gonna steal Wolkenkrabber's thunder and chalk this up as another interpolation.

I'm learnding!

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 12, 2019, 08:17

Additionally, I just realized 'Europe Endless' reminds me of New Order's 'Your Silent Face'
If you look at a copy of New Order's stage setlists, they often have KW1 as one of the tracks such as here (6th track). KW stands for Kraftwerk. The track is actually Your Silent Face. They were trying to write something that sounded like Kraftwerk. I guess they succeeded.

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 12, 2019, 08:49

and it's "girl"... so assuming this is part of a new track, I'm gonna steal Wolkenkrabber's thunder and chalk this up as another interpolation.

I'm learnding!
Oh it is Shazamable! Took me about ten attempts, mind you. However it can't be an interpolation if Shazam recognizes it. Interpolation = recreation. Shazam wouldn't recognise it unless it was a direct part (sample) of the original song.

14/01/19: Eh, why am I editing this post? I'm not now!
Last Edit: Jan 14, 2019, 01:21 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

hmmmm... well maybe it caught the instrumental part that can be found at the beginning part of the Hallelujah Chorus track, which also can be heard on the mix. I didn't really take note of where it exactly "shazamed" it.

But don't you detect a change in the vocals though? Just listening to them over again, I'm pretty certain it's not the original female vocal,  and that's the part where I'm pointing out interpolation.

Edit: correction, original vocal is male singing in falsetto. New one sounds female. 
Last Edit: Jan 12, 2019, 17:22 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 12, 2019, 16:44

But don't you detect a change in the vocals though? Just listening to them over again, I'm pretty certain it's not the original female vocal,  and that's the part where I'm pointing out interpolation.

Edit: correction, original vocal is male singing in falsetto. New one sounds female.

This much I'm sure of: the "new" vocal has had the backing vox and much of the music stripped away. And the last "try" on the new version is diferent from the record.
But could it have been pitch shifted? Could it have also been cleverly "acapella'd" from the original recording? I'm honestly not sure now. And I'll admit I'm not sure as to the gender of the vocal(s) either. The original song (from...what year? *EDIT*:1973 ) would have been daring to have a female vocal singing romantic overtures to a girl back then. Anyway, I'm still hanging on to the idea that it's an original sample that's been manipulated. For now.

Thoughts on the Desert Island mix (now that I've heard the whole thing):

I agree with others re "Problem FX", it's just a rising noise like a steam kettle or the Daft Punk distorted nose.

Red Axes' Teroof is not after MAH (as the BBC page has it), it's playing under the intro to MAH. I would list it beforehand.

After MAH we get a snippet of intro from Masters At Work (most of which is originally a sample of Mikey Dread, just to confuse things). Then we get the new Chems track (featuring vox from The Halleluiah Chorus).
And then we get more of the Masters At Work track.
I think the new track was mixed into the Masters... track because it has a similar beat to Justa Lil Dope (whose drums were originally sampled from a Schoooly D track - just to add more confusion).

The Feed-back- The Feed-back should have a hyphen in there. Although that doesn't save it from being horrible, apart from the drums. Freeform jazz 'melodies'? No thanks.

I think Optimo Jam is mis-named. It's Golden Teacher: "Party People", released on the Optimo Music label (as in: JD Twitch) . So I think the label and artist have been mixed up here. Unless someone begs to differ (did the Optimo boys feature this track in a 'jam'?). I remember posting some Golden Teacher in Now Playing back in 2016 when Ed "raised awareness" of them, so perhaps this was one of his choices for the mix.

https://twitter.com/eddychemical/status/688124354840793088

So I think the tracklist should look like this:

The Millennium - The Island
Clint Eastwood & General Saint - Hey Mr D.J.
(The Chemical Brothers - Problem FX)
Master Jay & Michael Dee - T.S.O.B. (The Sound of Brooklyn)
Red Axes - Teroof
The Chemical Brothers - MAH
Masters at Work - Justa 'Lil' Dope (intro)
The Chemical Brothers - Unreleased Track feat. The Halleluiah Chorus - I've Got To Find A Way
Masters at Work - Justa 'Lil' Dope (main)
The Feed-back - The Feed-back
Beastie Boys - Stand Together
Optimo Jam - Optimo Jam Golden Teacher - Party People
Margot - Magico Disco
Kraftwerk - Europe Endless
Shakespeare - The Tempest

ps: Another thought to add to my Kraftwerk comments in my previous post; the little melody in the latter part of Europe Endless was borrowed by Afrikaa Bambataa for Planet Rock.
Last Edit: Jan 13, 2019, 15:21 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 12, 2019, 08:36

it's shazamble

I've yet to investigate it fully but it's definitely from this track:

EDIT: 3:05 and beyond you'll find all the notable parts

holy crap! how in the hell did they strip the vocals clean off that record?
EDIT: iknow i know. some audio technology made it happen. impressed nevertheless.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jan 13, 2019, 22:12

holy crap! how in the hell did they strip the vocals clean off that record?
EDIT: iknow i know. some audio technology made it happen. impressed nevertheless.

It's recreation/interpolation neither direct sample, as Skyscraper mentioned earlier.
Hi Kevin!

Chems track vocal have been recreated, and not sampled, I'm 100% sure.

Quote from: Explud on Jan 14, 2019, 07:02

It's recreation/interpolation neither direct sample, as Skyscraper mentioned earlier.
Actually I suggested it was a sample that has then been manipulated and pitch-shifted. Bosco said it has been recreated. I'm not saying I'm right, just clarifying what I said.

Quote from: Ben_j on Jan 14, 2019, 08:16

Chems track vocal have been recreated, and not sampled, I'm 100% sure.
It's weird that Bosco and I managed to shazam it. Does that mean it's part-sample and part- recreation? That would be unusual. Not impossible, but unusual.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

It's shazam, nothing unusual)) But it's mean that it's very good recreation. ;D
Hi Kevin!

What makes me think it's not a sample:
- The "We've got to try" part is not sung in the same key at all
- there's only the vocal and not the other parts of the track
- they have used this technique on a lot of tracks