Yeah, We Will Live Again

Interviews & Articles

Started by Enjoyed, Jul 07, 2015, 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Also, quite possibly the shittiest review of Born In The Echoes yet:

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-lifestyle/music/20150727/album-review-born-in-the-echoes-shows-chemical-brothers-chemistry-is-long-gone

I'll See You There is a nice, psychedelic tune, but I'm sure someone already did it – oh yes, it was The Chemical Brothers. In a track called Setting Sun. In 2002.

In 2002.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 09, 2015, 19:26

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-lifestyle/music/20150727/album-review-born-in-the-echoes-shows-chemical-brothers-chemistry-is-long-gone
He totally knows his shit! Setting Sun, released on Push the Button from 1995!
Only small minded people would compare this song to Setting Sun, Let Forever Be or Tomorrow Never Knows solely on the grounds of a vaguely akin drum pattern which isn't even that similar to any of those tracks. It doesn't sound like Setting Sun, doesn't sound like Let Forever Be and let alone, TKN. Bwah!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 09, 2015, 18:47

Half Chems review, half half-done rundown of what some of the other dance music stalwarts have been up to:

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-lifestyle/the-review/why-the-chemical-brothers-and-the-elder-statesmen-of-dance-are-showing-no-signs-of-slowing-down
Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 09, 2015, 19:26

thenational.ae is very consistent in their views. Ver positive is the piece about EDM en very negative about the album.
Reads like cnewbould@thenational.ae has a grudge against the Chemical Brothers...

Quote from: Joslyn on Aug 10, 2015, 11:31

thenational.ae is very consistent in their views. Ver positive is the piece about EDM en very negative about the album.
Reads like cnewbould@thenational.ae has a grudge against the Chemical Brothers...
Well, the second review isn't that dismissive. But the other one reads like, as you said, someone had a beef with the brothers or just likes to wallow in old memories which don't seem to be that fresh obviously :D.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=17442

The first two tracks on Born In The Echoes, The Chemical Brothers' eighth album and first in five years, make it seem that Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons aren't worried about the EDM scene they inadvertently influenced, but are interested in how they can get involved. "Sometimes I Feel So Deserted" is much scuzzier than EDM's usual production sheen, but it still has snare rolls, cheesy vocals and whooshes like Tiësto's private plane. "Go" is a rehash of "Galvanize" with extra fist-pumping synths in the chorus that will appeal more to frat boys than Q-Tip fans. Not that it matters—lyrics like "No time to rest / Just do your best" don't make for particularly eloquent rhyming.

Listen further, though, and Born In The Echoes becomes as much about middle-aged ennui as youthful euphoria. When St. Vincent ponders suicide on "Under Neon Lights" it hardly gets you reaching for the lasers, and same goes for Beck lamenting, "You're slipping away from me," on "Wide Open." On "EML Ritual," Ali Love intones, "I'm going to lose my mind," and it sounds more like a lesson in the pains of hedonism than the pleasures.

Considering Simons' semi-retirement and comments about the difficulties of keeping things "rewarding and exciting," it seems possible this is the last Chemical Brothers LP. But if they're feeling tired, the music more than makes up for it. Take "Reflexion," which is like James Holden after downing 12 pints of lager. Some ideas seem more exhausted, like "I'll See You There," the album's obligatory "Tomorrow Never Knows" clone, and the acidic "Just Bang," another bit of Chems-by-numbers.

Born In The Echoes follows the duo's formula of saving the more psychedelic tracks for the end. "Taste Of Honey" boasts a Grateful Dead guitar and general Haight-Ashbury vibe, and the unsettling title track's distorted beats and FX are about as weird as Cat Le Bon's featured performance. Gooey synths, a warmhearted vocal and shoegaze guitar make "Radiate" a gorgeous sunrise moment. Yet rather than bow out there, Rowlands and Simons ride off into the sunset on the sleek '80s synth-pop of "Wide Open." It's no blaze of glory, but it's not a bad way to go out.

3/5
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Quote from: kosek on Aug 21, 2015, 19:01

the acidic "Just Bang," another bit of Chems-by-numbers.
wat

More like Just Bang is akin to the DEEEEETROIIIIT BAAAASKETBAAAAAALL brought by Billups, Prince, Wallace, Hamilton, and the other Wallace.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, you know whenever you bring up basketball references here, you're talking to me and me alone, right?

Good. We can feel special about American Handball.

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

I liked the review at thenational.ae but I don't share the perspective in it
Eight or over.

Tumblr doll!

It rolls around and doesn't shut up about Doctor Who and Supernatural!

Haha! You have to go through a lot of weird things when you're famous. The Japanese always bring something weird(er) to the table. But you've got to love them for it. Awkwardly cute.
I wonder what would have happened if Tom had worn one of those  ;D:
— Aurora (The Seed)

I WANT THOSE
THEY ARE AWESOME

Tom. So patient and willing to play along in that vid.i gotta little laugh out of it.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: nekoland on Aug 27, 2015, 02:38

Something about the artwork
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2015/august/record-sleeves-of-the-month
Ah yes, i put this on the main "BITE release date" thread a few days ago. Perhaps I should have put it on this one.
IT'S MORNING TIME!