Who's Hungry?

Interviews & Articles

Started by Enjoyed, Jul 07, 2015, 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic
Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015, 14:53 by whirlygirl
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Interesting perspective and one that seems to be a theme I've seen hinted at in other reviews - this album is a reprieve in the current state dance music is in. I suppose time will tell if this album helps reinvent the wheel as EDM (am I the only one that feels weird saying 'EDM'?) evolves.

Bonus points for calling out the Aioki 'Tomorrowland' train wreck as the nail in the coffin. If you feel like throwing up in your mouth a little, just google it.

Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015, 14:52 by whirlygirl

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 29, 2015, 14:50

Interesting perspective and one that seems to be a theme I've seen hinted at in other reviews - this album is a reprieve in the current state dance music is in. I suppose time will tell if this album helps reinvent the wheel as EDM (am I the only one that feels weird saying 'EDM'?) evolves.

Bonus points for calling out the Aioki 'Tomorrowland' train wreck as the nail in the coffin. If you feel like throwing up in your mouth a little, just google it.

Or should that be a Titanic disaster? Yikes! Celine Dion is not/was not/never will be a reason to see any 'dance' music DJ play. And Guetta doing "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" is even worse. How are sketch comedians even meant to take the piss out of this? You can't get any dumber.  I think it may be wishful thinking on behalf of the writer that the  Chems will bring the wheel around to a good place again for the scene in general, but we can hope. In the mean time you just have to know where to go. Last months Field Day festival had the likes of Weatherall, Avery, Robertson and Floating Points on the DJ roster (as well as lots of live bands). I'm just glad it was a hell of a lot nearer to me than Tomorrowland.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 29, 2015, 14:50

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 29, 2015, 16:44

Or should that be a Titanic disaster? Yikes! Celine Dion is not/was not/never will be a reason to see any 'dance' music DJ play. And Guetta doing "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands" is even worse. How are sketch comedians even meant to take the piss out of this? You can't get any dumber.  I think it may be wishful thinking on behalf of the writer that the  Chems will bring the wheel around to a good place again for the scene in general, but we can hope. In the mean time you just have to know where to go. Last months Field Day festival had the likes of Weatherall, Avery, Robertson and Floating Points on the DJ roster (as well as lots of live bands). I'm just glad it was a hell of a lot nearer to me than Tomorrowland.

Ooooh, ouch, that hurts in every way possible. Thanks Whirls for the warning... I was about to let my lunch make its way up... This is exactly what I hate about most of those "artists" and why I despise the word EDM or that genre which it kind of has become to represent. The music of the mentioned DJs lacks almost everything what makes electronic music so engaging for me. One-dimensional, pretending, stageing, devoid of creativity, effect-laden and DJs who merely long for the limelight, it's disugsting.
I made myself watch a couple of Anoki sets, or rather skipped through them, and I was just stunned and/ or nauseated by what I witnessed. The pinnacle of that all was when I found out that this guy's "trademark" is cake throwing which he deems a type of performance art.

But perhaps this EDM movement is for them today what Euro Dance was for us back in the nineties - with the exception that Euro Dance did have some sort raw creativity considering its limited technology. But today it's more like effect over substance... And I feel that lots of young teens seem to embrace this kind of lightweighted, simple minded musical approach more and more. There's a YT comment I read under a chems set the other day in which a guy stated he had never felt so depressed coming from a gig and that only Tiësto saved the night...
But let's see if the Chems can bring back some sanity into the game :)
Last Edit: Jul 29, 2015, 21:22 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Tom Rowlands
"It's got a kind of looseness and a kind of wildness. Our music is always a bit... not exactly what the big sound is - and we like that little space that we've carved out for ourselves really."

Seconded!

http://www.gigwise.com/features/101934/chemical-brothers-interview-born-in-the-echoes-st-vincent-edm
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jul 30, 2015, 21:27

Seconded!

http://www.gigwise.com/features/101934/chemical-brothers-interview-born-in-the-echoes-st-vincent-edm

Quote from: Tom

"If it does happen," he eventually concedes, placing an inordinate amount of emphasis on the word 'if', "I would be obviously happy... but I also am prepared for it not to be. There's plenty of amazing records that have never been to No.1 and are still amazing, even though they didn't get there."

Humble skepticism. But was there ever any doubt? ;)

It's sitting at number 1 right now! The Chems are officially the dance act with the most number one albums ever.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 31, 2015, 19:44

It's sitting at number 1 right now! The Chems are officially the dance act with the most number one albums ever.
dun dun dun dunnnn.

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/627199385290547201
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

From Details Magazine April 1997, lots of funny questions..

Quote from: Tom Rowlands
"The thing is, we never thought we'd be playing live onstage-we just thought we'd be in our studio, making records," Tom tells me later. "With all that's happened lately, I don't know -what- we are anymore."

But, like the small-time criminals in the corner who occasionally stare over at us twits, the Chemical Brothers are most definately petty thieves. They don't bother to pay for the rights to much of what they sample. Somewhere on their new album, they explain, is a snatch from a famous classic-rock song, though they refuse to say which classic-rock song.
"I guarantee you," Ed Simons says, "we could play that track for ten of the top musicologists in the world, -and- the guy who actually played the music originally, and none of them would be able to figure it out."

Above the keyboard is an autographed photo of Boy George and a letter from him which begins "Dear Cunt Brothers..."

http://www.algonet.se/~akeen/chemical/details.htm
Last Edit: Aug 04, 2015, 17:04 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Aug 04, 2015, 16:37

From Details Magazine April 1997, lots of funny questions..

Somewhere on their new album, they explain, is a snatch from a famous classic-rock song, though they refuse to say which classic-rock song.
"I guarantee you," Ed Simons says, "we could play that track for ten of the top musicologists in the world, -and- the guy who actually played the music originally, and none of them would be able to figure it out

Anyone know what it is? If it were a later era I'd suggest they were discussing Bowie's Starman. I know they claim that the 'sample' on Star Guitar is actually Tom on the guitar, but personally I don't believe them. I think they sampled Bowie  and didn't pay him a penny.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Naaah, it's a simple chord change, plus the rhythm is different. I don't think they'd risk sampling Bowie.

I love that interview.

Do you cheat when you play games?
"No."
You -are- very different from Ed.
"He cheats, doesn't he? I didn't know he cheated, but I've had my suspicions, when we're playing cards and so forth. He gets so indignant if you say, 'You're cheating' that it's certainly not worth it."

— Aurora (The Seed)

http://www.occupyhifi.org/sonic-satori/2015/8/4/the-chems-are-re-born-in-the-echoes

"Bottom line, if I be so bold (or maybe even a bit silly) considering Papa Gretsky's words: Born in the Echoes is iced-out jack. And for those of you unfamiliar with the urban spin there: That means the record simply kicks fuckin' ASS."

The album is, and will always be, the epitome of shrimp life.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: whirlygirl on Aug 06, 2015, 03:17

http://www.occupyhifi.org/sonic-satori/2015/8/4/the-chems-are-re-born-in-the-echoes

"Bottom line, if I be so bold (or maybe even a bit silly) considering Papa Gretsky's words: Born in the Echoes is iced-out jack. And for those of you unfamiliar with the urban spin there: That means the record simply kicks fuckin' ASS."

That's a very cool review to read.

Half Chems review, half half-done rundown of what some of the other dance music stalwarts have been up to:

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-lifestyle/the-review/why-the-chemical-brothers-and-the-elder-statesmen-of-dance-are-showing-no-signs-of-slowing-down