My Heart and Soul, They Are Free

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: satur8 on Sep 17, 2023, 15:44
a few of you hinted at shows with seating. Is that even common in the U.S. for the venues they perform?
Actually, yes. I would go so far as to say that the larger venues are actually more likely to have seating.

If I recall, Denver had stadium seating, Bill Graham had seating, Shrine Expo had seating. And of course both Santa Barbra Bowl and the Greek are designed specifically as amphitheater seated shows. The greek in particular was basically a private booth for 3 of us, and definitely was the preferred way to introduce my wife to the experience.

That said, I can fully understand and sympathize with your feelings of animosity towards audiences in general. I think there is a suspension of comfort and quiet enjoyment that is asked at shows that is not always easy or fair to request of people. I don't go to the movies anymore for a similar reason. There's almost guaranteed to be a fellow 'human' that just doesn't care how their actions affect others. I much MUCH prefer staying at home and watching on my sofa with my dog (though I live in an apartment complex and the person above us is sadly another fine example of one of those humans.)

I really hope my initial comment about fans' attendance didn't come across as insensitive to the numerous entirely valid reasons not to go to a show. I sincerely apologize if it did. My intent was to rebuttal some of the comments in the Reddit thread that seemed to suggest that it was The Chems fault for not making music that people liked, and for not making folks aware that the shows were happening, which as a daily (hourly!) visitor of the Forum, I was struggling to wrap my head around.

Anywho, all that to say. I totally hear you and again, sympathize fully. No one should feel any sort of pressure to do something that simply doesn't sound fun.

Do you partake in any of the live streams of the show? I personally had a great time drinking a nice cold beer at home with the Coachella stream on the TV!

EDIT: Damn. The page turned again. Please go back and read Satur8's thoughtful post at the bottom of the previous page.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Sep 17, 2023, 19:02
"Nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain." - Sebastian Bach

Quote from: Enjoyed on Sep 17, 2023, 18:27
My intent was to rebuttal some of the comments in the Reddit thread that seemed to suggest that it was The Chems fault for not making music that people liked, and for not making folks aware that the shows were happening, which as a daily (hourly!) visitor of the Forum, I was struggling to wrap my head around.

Oh was that bold bit me? I think that was actually in this thread (jump back a page to your post 1113). I did suggest physical posters/billboards to advertise to  people who don't check the internet for gigs, cos that's how it used to be done (by promotors I think) in the pre-internet age.
I don't think that's the same as saying it's the Chems fault for not making folks aware that shows are happening. More about how you reach certain demographics.
I'm also not sure that those of us who regularly visit this forum make up the majority of ticket buyers to Chems gigs. We're kinda the freaky Chemical obsessed exceptions here, I think.

EDIT: Oh maybe you meant the actual thread on Reddit. The Reddit thread that Bosco linked to appears to have a Shoesoff88 who appears to be you - discussing advertising the show etc.
Last Edit: Sep 18, 2023, 00:12 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

In my defense, I'm wearing a Dinosaur Jar Jar t shirt right now.  Actually, that isn't so much a defense a evidence of me being awful.  

This may be out of place here, but the Now Playing thread has its own vibe (more music, less talking).

I play Apple Music through Alexa in the kitchen when I am cooking and such, and about 50% of the time or more I choose The Chemical Brothers or CB w/ related artists. Today she played Out Of Control (21 Minutes Of Madness Mix).

1 - In all the time that the track has been available, the algorithm never picked it for me before today.

2 - I only had 15 minutes of tasks to accomplish in there and found myself doing busy work just to complete the track. It was the right thing to do.

Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Bandcamp is in trouble.
Not enough resources to fix problems...
That might explain why certain people are taking advantage.
Sorry about this guy's choice of jumping to super close-ups of his face.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Double post I guess, but the above video wasn't just some YouTuber clickbaiting people about Bandcamp.  I wonder if they'll have enough staff to spot any further scams on the platform (previously discussed on the forum here )?

https://twitter.com/mediaor/status/1714289449310519659

https://twitter.com/deerhoof/status/1713978947468505133

https://twitter.com/mountain_goats/status/1714012996169499053

https://twitter.com/iamcoxhead/status/1714034921830764628

https://twitter.com/wf_pritchard/status/1713971066396155984
IT'S MORNING TIME!

And a big fuck you to the corporate ghouls who know the price of everything but the value of nothing

^This, right there!! It is so damn sad. Greed destroys everything.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Last night my son and I made delicious chicken quesadillas. When I walked in the kitchen and cleaned the counter, I asked Alexa to play Exit Planet Dust and we immediately began prepping as Leave Home started. I literally plated the very last one as Alive Alone ended.

It's not often that life works out for me in the "lucky" or even "little" ways, but this was nice. And I really enjoy cooking with my teenage son, so kitchen time is always pretty good if we're not too tired.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

not sure where else to post this, seems as good a place a any.

it has been an EVENTFUL year for the chems. new album and the accompanying series of singles, US/UK/EU/Mexico dates, their triumphant return to Coachella, a commemorative book, an art show preview.

I can't help but feel there's going to be a bit of a drought next year. there's more tour dates in Japan/Australia/New Zealand, which is awesome, and hopefully they add even more dates in lesser visited parts of the globe. we know the costume exhibition is headed to the V&A. is that going to be it for 2024?

Quote from: shakermaker on Dec 31, 2023, 17:03
not sure where else to post this, seems as good a place a any.

it has been an EVENTFUL year for the chems. new album and the accompanying series of singles, US/UK/EU/Mexico dates, their triumphant return to Coachella, a commemorative book, an art show preview.

I can't help but feel there's going to be a bit of a drought next year. there's more tour dates in Japan/Australia/New Zealand, which is awesome, and hopefully they add even more dates in lesser visited parts of the globe. we know the costume exhibition is headed to the V&A. is that going to be it for 2024?

Maybe something to hope for:

The Japanese dates (3) are all at the same location on consecutive days. A lot of potential to capture a lot of footage and maybe put together a new live album? We already know they are kinda partial to the Japanese crowds. Probably wouldn't be edited and finished until late 2024 or early 2025.

The spring version of Corona Capital (Guadalajara), might be a part of their future to close out a contract with the previous fest (CC Mexico City 2023).

that's all I got for now...

Quote from: Bosco on Dec 31, 2023, 22:03
The spring version of Corona Capital (Guadalajara), might be a part of their future to close out a contract
ah that'd be cool! I've never been to Guadalajara. then again, my spring is looking pretty full already.

edit: it could feasibly be a Guadalajara/Detroit visit to North America. wait no, this is how rumors start.

Happy New Year, everyone!! Here's to many more beautiful feelings in 2024! :music  ❤️ Love you all! 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Please log in to view this attachment.

Anyone interested in becoming tour guitarist for the Smashing Pumpkins?

no idea, no idea

As soon as we've finished celebrating the birth of Christ, it's straight on to celebrating his death! There were easter eggs in the shops before we even rang in the new year. This year M&S (Marks & Spencer) have chocbots amongst their over-priced easter chocolate range (ironic that the pic says Money Saving Central). And hey, fair play to Smith & Lyall + The Chems. They've made tin toy robots their own 'brand' to the extent that as soon as I see one, I think: Chems.

Please log in to view this attachment.

In other bullshit chat:

Meanwhile over on University Challenge:

https://twitter.com/AdamJon92361926/status/1745196642335088942

And last but not least. There's a new version of Fatboy's Weapon Of Choice video!

Last Edit: Jan 12, 2024, 14:51 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

This is my 2222 post  ::cheers
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 12, 2024, 15:41
And now people probably won't read my post above it!  >:(
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 12, 2024, 15:41
The fine print of the Chembase says that in such a case you have to buy Royal Albert Hall tickets for anyone online at the time you are and have not passed no. 2223 yet.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Was this written in the Terms Of Use when i registered? Can i read it again? Have some  ::mbag left for the month, but i actually planned to use it for buying some NFT's because, you know, that's the safest thing to do with your  ::mbag  these days.
no idea, no idea