Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
My 100th post at the new forums. yay!

no idea, no idea

^ those are some incredibly satisfying fireworks
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Mob1 on Aug 23, 2015, 03:49

BTW, what happened yesterday?
Most Online Ever: 25 (Yesterday at 15:39)
Me think it's because we heard about the show the other night. The electric generator went out a couple of times and stopped the chems show. I gotta check the live section and see what went down.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

It is because Tom posted Problem/Question. It got deleted though
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooooooly shit.

Had an *AMAZING* time at FYF Fest yesterday. I was really impressed by the festival itself, actually. The people running the festival have a good handle on what works, and they managed to turn the space around USC into a very friendly, warm, and inviting place.

Basically, I saw the lineup, that Jon Hopkins and Simian Mobile Disco were playing on the same night, and SMD was closing out the festival, and !!! is also always a good one to check out.

Highlights included:

!!! - The band puts on a good, dancey show with a traditional ensemble. The vocalist walked *deep* into the crowd at one point. Like, past where I was standing watching them, and I was halfway in between the sound booth and the stage.

Simian Mobile Disco - I was honored to have attended both the first and the last shows for them performing Whorl. They played a great set, but it was actually a little difficult for me to truly appreciate them because it was the end of the night, and I ran out of energy. The set also felt a little short to me, too.

Jon Hopkins - God... damnit... This may have actually edged its way into my top 5 electronic music experiences. If not in the top 5 without a doubt in the top 10. It's difficult to rank them like that having had so many... First world problems.

The visuals for Jon Hopkins were outstanding. The way he performed his music was incredible. From the beginning, he gave the unequivocal impression that he was controlling every element of the music, and playing around with it in ways that you might only hear from a percussionist. Somehow, he managed to stretch his set on to make the minutes feel like hours, and there was a true improvisational sense from the music.

The set was a bit troublesome at first, and the tone that he hit with his music during his performance was surprising--he played some of the "quiet" bits that I did not expect him to play, but in the end I just went with hit and what you were left with was being put in a space that was grounded in emotion. I was not expecting to have that sort of response, but it moved me, unequivocally.

I also was surprised with how easily the crowd was able to "rock out" with him during the points in time where he was jamming with the noises. For instance, there is a very "ugly" moment in Open Eye Signal. I actually actively avoid it sometimes when I listen to the song. It's at the end, and it involves a barrage of bonks and whoops that is, somewhat aesthetically unpleasing.

But during his set, it rocked. It. Fucking. Rocked. And he managed to tease into it and lead up to it with a surprising amount of grace, preparing us for the moment when our heads were pounded with those beats. And, surprisingly, I wanted more. That moment that I heard during his studio version of the track that I normally want to end as quickly as possible... I wanted more.

In the end, everything about the experience exceeded my expectations, and I had already seen him once before. I cannot have asked for more. He gave me all that I wanted out of my experience as a whole yesterday, and it made every ounce of effort, the inflated ticket price, the 600-700 mile drive, all worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I knew that was how it was going to end.

Fuck yeah.

Oh, on a side note--from a considerable distance I heard Kanye West masturbating up on stage in front of thousands of people.

Sounds amazing! Glad you had fun man!

I'm still yet to see Mr. Hopkins. He keeps clashing with people I want to see that little bit more.

Quote from: MadPooter on Aug 23, 2015, 23:15
!!! - The band puts on a good, dancey show with a traditional ensemble.

What kinda stuff did they play? 'Freedom! '15' has got me excited about them again.

I actually didn't recognize any tracks that !!! played. But they played them well.

I assume they were off of a new album?

They definitely still got it.

The real reason I'm going to America is to hopefully somehow meet Jeff G.
It's the only thing on my bucket list.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 25, 2015, 22:02

The real reason I'm going to America is to hopefully somehow meet Jeff G.
It's the only thing on my bucket list.
But... I made a topic for this kind of thing... the comedy one
Why do you have to be so MEAN?

I thought that was for stand up.

Jeff Goldblum can and should be allowed into any thread.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 26, 2015, 14:49

I thought that was for stand up.

Jeff Goldblum can and should be allowed into any thread.
Na, it's for everything funny.
And yeah JG should be allowed into anything and anyone.

Is that model girl still here? She was super hot.

Whirly? Yes, she is still here.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Aug 26, 2015, 18:46

Whirly? Yes, she is still here.

Who??

No, that chick from Holland. Would love to tap that, hmm hm.

Love this forum! You guys kept me going for the last 2 months!

That is all!

Quote from: Nils VIP on Aug 26, 2015, 22:26

Who??

No, that chick from Holland. Would love to tap that, hmm hm.

Dudez itz Ed Simmonz from the workout vidz
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Apple, again, is two or more years behind everyone else - but everything is "truly amazing"  ;D How i love Apple for their keynotes.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 09, 2015, 20:41

And Apple, again, is two or more years behind everyone else - but everything is "truly amazing"  ;D How i love Apple for their keynotes.

...and still behind on screen resolution,screen size, and camera compared to others. I'm referring to the 6S.

Someone should start a 'tech and gadgets' thread.

I like their watch. Doesn't make their phone useless but does compliment it very well. Especially at work when I don't feel like blowing my cover while on the clock.  ::)

I just had a chiropractor give me like 8  different wrestling moves, including a sleeper hold.  On the ice now!