Do It Again

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Csar on Jul 04, 2019, 17:07
I'm curious: How do you, US forumers, think about today's events planned by the president (display of military machinery, speech, select audience etc.)? Has there been any controversial discussion among your friends, family etc. about that?

I was not happy. This was about a draft dodger coward with a fragile ego that wanted to rile his base by impersonating Russian and North Korean scare tactics, and then he excluded veterans in favor of rich supporters. And in the end when he looked like a fool, he still deflected and his base didn't question him. American patriotism already thrives on ignorance and dances with nationalism. It was not a good thing and it was the first calculated step to a very difficult 2020 election cycle. In full disclosure, I was never a huge fan of drunken Independence Day activities in the first place, but the last few years have been insufferable.

Quote from: Ben_j on Jul 08, 2019, 16:06
The stadium and the city were half full of americans, and even the train back to Paris was filled with people with USA caps and apparel. The support for their soccer team sure is strong!

I am very proud of them (and wish our men's team could similarly represent). It's great to hear our countrymen demonstrated a positive presence abroad.  And yet, overall at home there is a loud sentiment against the team here because they are women. And it is soccer. And they were outspoken against our buffoon leader and protested police brutality. It is a sad state here.

It's not the majority, but it's loud enough. For my family, my boy and I have been very excited about the team's accomplishments along the way. I will admit, I'm not big on in-game celebrations in any sports and think our team could have better represented us without some of arrogance. But it's hard to complain too loudly about the competitive shit-talking when I am supporting the domestic protests.

Also, I'm glad this community seems to appreciate the team. I rather thought we were more of a target than a favorite. Are the sentiments here common or varied in your countries?
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Having a president of a democratic republic emulating dictators is disconcerting to say the least. 

Also, I'm really getting tired of listening to the same people who burnt effigies of,spouted racist garbage at, and believed any ridiculous nonsense about our first black president scream and cry about how criticism of their dear leader is unfair, unbiased, unpatriotic, and "fake news" (because facts are irrelevant). 

Social media makes me want to be like Bill Hicks and get on my knees and pray for an alien abduction or a nuclear holocaust.  Whichever. 

Quote from: Csar on Jul 04, 2019, 17:07

Happy birthday, USA (of which I just learned was actually two days ago).

I'm curious: How do you, US forumers, think about today's events planned by the president (display of military machinery, speech, select audience etc.)? Has there been any controversial discussion among your friends, family etc. about that?

I think he got the idea from the French national day military parade he attended one or two years ago. Here, it has always existed so I never found it strange or out of place to have a military parade. It's usually quite entertaining to watch, and never felt to me like a demonstration of power or anything like that. Plus it's all the military corps, so it includes firemen, gendarmes (a kind of local police force), some airplanes, that I can then see from my window... So yeah, I always enjoyed it

Quote from: Ben_j on Jul 12, 2019, 07:20

I think he got the idea from the French national day military parade he attended one or two years ago.
Was that around the time the brass band played Daft Punk tunes? Is it their fault?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 12, 2019, 12:06

Was that around the time the brass band played Daft Punk tunes? Is it their fault?
Yes it was that time

Quote from: Ben_j on Jul 12, 2019, 07:20
Here, it has always existed so I never found it strange or out of place to have a military parade

That's a very fair answer. It is not normal here and is part of a growing partisan division that is happening alongside targeted rallies and acceptance of nationalism. I can easily say I wouldn't have been a fan of it under Obama, either, but I appreciate your reminding us that it's not something that only takes place in dictatorships.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I may regret this post as it is likely bring me grief rather than joy. At best I imagine, this will make me look like an old fuddy duddy or something. At worst, who knows?...

Anyway I was watching The Long Shot (Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen ) over the weekend. And there's a bit where Seth is helping Charlize catch up on her music knowledge because she's been too busy politic-ing in her Secretary of State role. Seth mentions this track:

and a little while later Charlize starts "singing" this track after being made aware of it by Seth:

And honestly, I had to look both of them up. Never heard either of them before. And I can't even claim to be a busy poitician vying to be the next POTUS.

2 Chainz has 79.8 million views for his video whilst Broccoli (people do songs about vegetables now?) has 365.8 million views!!! Holy shit!

Do people genuinely like this stuff? Is this where hip hop is at now?
I mean I thought it was bad as long ago as 2009 when Flo Rida managed to make a fun 80's dance pop
sound less kick-ass than the original with
. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this stuff ten years on .

Do poeple genuinely enjoy this stuff as much as people enjoyed hip hop "back in the day", y'know stuff like
or
or
or
or
?

As for the film - not bad, a bit cheesy but the leads are likable so they kinda make it work. Oh and the guy playing Seth's best friend is O'Shea Jackson Jr, aka Ice Cube's son. I nearly included Straight Outta Compton in my "this's" above. I wonder what Ice Cube Jr and Sr think of the above embedded tunes.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I agree with you. But I don't feel headstrong enough to make a statement in any way. Nor do I think I'm qualified enough to make an objective observation on the subject.

But if you're looking to vent about the subject, go ahead, I'm listening.

In my "Now Playing" you'll see most of my tracks are 90's based hip hop/rap artists. The only contemporary artist that I kinda follow is Action Bronson. But he's not really a game changer other than the way he looks. He's just an interesting personality, and the people around him make some solid-great BEATZs.

well, its official: i just got laid off. :'(
Management just had a meeting and I was an invalid employee due to insurance and Legal reasons in which they couldn't tell me. Boss gave me a letter and $100 payment due to short notice and wished the best for me.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Gods, that sucks. I'm sure better job is on its way. Fingers crossed.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Fuck, sorry to hear that, Connor. Hope you'll get a better job soon where they actually value your abilities! They were most probably not worth it at all and, hopefully down the road, it was for the better! Wish you all the best.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 22, 2019, 21:48

I may regret this post as it is likely bring me grief rather than joy. At best I imagine, this will make me look like an old fuddy duddy or something. At worst, who knows?...

Anyway I was watching The Long Shot (Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen ) over the weekend. And there's a bit where Seth is helping Charlize catch up on her music knowledge because she's been too busy politic-ing in her Secretary of State role. Seth mentions this track:

and a little while later Charlize starts "singing" this track after being made aware of it by Seth:

And honestly, I had to look both of them up. Never heard either of them before. And I can't even claim to be a busy poitician vying to be the next POTUS.

2 Chainz has 79.8 million views for his video whilst Broccoli (people do songs about vegetables now?) has 365.8 million views!!! Holy shit!

Do people genuinely like this stuff? Is this where hip hop is at now?
I mean I thought it was bad as long ago as 2009 when Flo Rida managed to make a fun 80's dance pop
sound less kick-ass than the original with
. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this stuff ten years on .

Yeah, I feel the same, Wolkenkrabber. This kind of music is beyond me. Calling it even Hip Hop wouldn't come out of my mouth. It is mumble jumble at best, or mumble rap trap or whatever. Hip Hop used to be from the streets and while always being prone to exaggeration and grandstanding, it had at least some sort of credibility and technique involved in one way or another. Today these spoiled kids don't even have to come up with decent lyrics, beats are overproduced and interchangable trap nonsense, Auto Tune is tormented to the max and lots of times there are professional businesses behind them from the get go.
Maybe these are the times now, hundreds of millions of fews are pretty common among the hippest artists these days. I often wonder myself, 'why are some many people listening to this crap?' But you know, maybe it wasn't that different in our time but the means and technology wasn't quite there yet to document that. We had record sales and MTV as indicators. Wonder what it would have looked like if the internet had been as evolved is it is today.

Yet, while I do believe that there are millions of people that like this kind of music, I also think that "views" on social media is a highly questionable indicator as it can be easily be skewed.
Last Edit: Jul 31, 2019, 09:53 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jul 26, 2019, 02:06

well, its official: i just got laid off. :'(
Management just had a meeting and I was an invalid employee due to insurance and Legal reasons in which they couldn't tell me. Boss gave me a letter and $100 payment due to short notice and wished the best for me.

I hope you land another job soon Conn! You deserve much better. Just keep at it on the job hunt. Just need a nearby coffee shop, a laptop,and some Chem tunes to get you going.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jul 29, 2019, 18:01

I hope you land another job soon Conn! You deserve much better. Just keep at it on the job hunt. Just need a nearby coffee shop, a laptop,and some Chem tunes to get you going.

Wait... you just described my last month inchem... stop watching me!!

In all seriousness though. Connor, use your network. Even if it's just to do informational interviews. You know people, they know people, they know where the jobs are (most are hidden). Also, look at as a time to improve. Read what you want to read, build a skill you think will make you money. Yes, we live in gig economy world, but that means that we can learn skills extremely easy.

What type of work were you doing at your last job?

What type of work do you want to do next?

That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: rynostar on Jul 29, 2019, 22:42

What type of work were you doing at your last job?

What type of work do you want to do next?
I used to be a janitor at the condos in my town, which was pretty good pay (15 an hour).

Recently got a job application for a goodwill to work in the donations drop offs.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jul 30, 2019, 08:39

I used to be a janitor at the condos in my town, which was pretty good pay (15 an hour).

Recently got a job application for a goodwill to work in the donations drop offs.

Sorry to hear about that. Not sure where exactly you are but you should check if you were entitled any severance. In my area if an employee is let go for reason other than very poor performance or breaking rules they generally are entitled to a payment based on how long they have been working at the company.

Quote from: Csar on Jul 26, 2019, 10:48
Yeah, I feel the same, Wolkenkrabber. This kind of music is beyond me. Calling it even Hip Hop wouldn't come out of my mouth. It is mumble jumble at best, or mumble rap trap or whatever. Hip Hop used to be from the streets and while always being prone to exaggeration and grandstanding, it had at least some sort of credibility and technique involved in one way or another. Today these spoiled kids don't even have to come up with decent lyrics, beats are overproduced and interchangable trap nonsense, Auto Tune is tormented to the max and lots of times there are professional businesses behind them from the get go.

Looking back this is probably something a group like 2 Live Crew would do if they had access to modern studio tools and they managed to move lots of albums in the "golden age" despite their songs not really lasting the test of time. Part of the problem looking back on eras after a decade or so passed is that we tend to remember the really special stuff that stuck in our brains and forgot all the mediocre/fad songs/outright bad material that had been released.

Also part of the problem rap/hiphop has had since the beginning is that even though there are lots of artists there is a much smaller pool of producers. And what had always tended to happen is that once a particular producer hits a winning formula, all sort of artist tend to go to them to make their music causing all those artists' music to sound kind of the same. 

Recently I've experienced catastrophic hard disk failure on hard that I've kept my music on.
I've lost about 8K songs, managed to save about 3.5K.
And while most of it I can rip again from CDs, I just realized that I've lost all DJ Scot Project
that my friend ripped for me from vinyl.
I'm a sad panda today.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on Aug 17, 2019, 13:52

Recently I've experienced catastrophic hard disk failure on hard that I've kept my music on.
I've lost about 8K songs, managed to save about 3.5K.
And while most of it I can rip again from CDs, I just realized that I've lost all DJ Scot Project
that my friend ripped for me from vinyl.
I'm a sad panda today.
Damn, that sucks, big time. This type of scenario was the reason I bought portable HDDs as backup storage. Your post is a good reminder to update them again! If you need any chems material, don't hestitate to reach out.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

So the forum is back once again like a...

When it goes down, is it because whoever supplies the hosting creates a problem, or is it actually maintenance work that needs to be done? Or is it none of my business?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 20, 2019, 20:18

So the forum is back once again like a...

When it goes down, is it because whoever supplies the hosting creates a problem, or is it actually maintenance work that needs to be done? Or is it none of my business?

If you want to pay some money for everything about blossoms and flourishes in datacenter from me and my friends, i would appreciate. Otherwise, we warned you, that the project lives on clear enthusiasm.
Hi Kevin!

Not sure I fully understand. Translation might not be correct.

Seems like every month the forum is down for a period of 2-3 days. If this is about money, I'm supportive about pledging a little to keep things on the up-and-up so we aren't left in the dark.

Not saying were missing out on much for being away for 2-3 days, but it can kill the momentum of conversation, and is a bit detaching for non-regulars/new members.

If I had some pull from behind the scenes, y'all would be properly compensated for your efforts.