Born In the Echoes

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
It really is a sad week. Losing our British friends and seeing the USA descending into a stupid autocracy is very frustrating.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Ben_j on Feb 01, 2020, 08:56

I have but one wish, that France beats England in the 6 Nations tomorrow. Let it be the first post-brexit slap in the face of England.

Ben, that's not very sporting. Especially in Rugby where the fans are mixed in the stands, the players have a drink with each other afterwards and there's a general air of respect. May the best team....Oh fuck it come on France!

Meanwhile, has anyone seen this RT'd on Ed Simons's twitter? Check out all the young people celebrating their futures!

https://twitter.com/CapitalChambo/status/1223358614003486720

ps: apologies to Enjoyed or other English forumites for the seemingly anti-English vibe. It's really an anti- anti-EU ("forinas") vibe!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Feb 01, 2020, 11:20

ps: apologies to Enjoyed or other English forumites for the seemingly anti-English vibe. It's really an anti- anti-EU ("forinas") vibe!

Nah, I'm right there with you. We suck. And from my burger filled throne out here in Portland, it's quite easy for me to vindictively wish a bad outcome for the country to teach the fools a lesson. But, I'd still like to get a check up when I visit in June - and a breezey trip to France would be nice...
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

2020 and we still haven't learned that nationalism is fucking stupid.  Sigh.

for all my fellow american brothers, happy Superbowl Sunday, go chiefs & Go 49ers.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

The Chiefs represented the great State of Kansas and, in fact, the entire USA, so very well.
no idea, no idea

I still have no idea how American Football works, but in its more civilized version - with less commercial breaks - called Rugby, France beat England, finally !
Last Edit: Feb 03, 2020, 10:02 by Ben_j

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 03, 2020, 06:52

The Chiefs represented the great State of Kansas and, in fact, the entire USA, so very well.
Come on, he's just the president!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 03, 2020, 06:52

Quote from: Csar on Feb 03, 2020, 15:19

Come on, he's just the president!

I'm so confused, are we applauding the Chiefs comeback in-game, or taking jabs at "The Donald"?

Either way, I feel like clarifying that Kansas City is neither in Kansas (it's Missouri) or are the Chiefs named after the "commander in CHIEF". The team is actually named after the Native American Indian hierarchy, Chief(s).

On a separate note, there is some strong controversy in terms of appropriation, with several sport teams named after Native American culture.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I just saw social media

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 03, 2020, 21:21

I'm so confused, are we applauding the Chiefs comeback in-game, or taking jabs at "The Donald"?

Either way, I feel like clarifying that Kansas City is neither in Kansas (it's Missouri) or are the Chiefs named after the "commander in CHIEF". The team is actually named after the Native American Indian hierarchy, Chief(s).

On a separate note, there is some strong controversy in terms of appropriation, with several sport teams named after Native American culture.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I just saw social media

Well, at least I took a jab at the President (and I assume Pum too). And by the way, as far as I understand it, there are technically two Kansas Cities (Missouri and Kansas state, both belonging to the Kansas City metropolitan area) but the chiefs are from KC Missouri.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Feb 04, 2020, 08:51

And by the way, as far as I understand it, there are technically two Kansas Cities (Missouri and Kansas state, both belonging to the Kansas City metropolitan area) but the chiefs are from KC Missouri.

You're totally correct. But for generalization sake, when a common American addresses Kansas City we are speaking of Missouri. Kansas City, Kansas (the smaller of the two) is typically detailed as such, even though they're basically a twin city.

Honestly, I give Donald a pass for this little blunder and most people who are not from Mid-west might mistake this. I remember when I was 10, thinking Kansas City was in Kansas based off the fact that New York City was in New York. Only made sense, right? Well, I was partially right, but contextually, no. That being said I was 10 and Donald is the President...

Now for other news... WHO GIVES A FUCK

I don't love being political on the forum here, but I've been watching the response to the news that Johnny Depp's physically abusive wife admitted to the abuse, and I am baffled that there is no consensus that physical violence in a relationship is unacceptable.

I would hope that someday we can agree that abusing your partner is wrong, regardless of whether or not it's a man or a woman who is the abuser, especially considering there is apparently near-equal percentages of men and women who experience physical violence at the hands of their partner in their relationship.

Now I'm going to go watch Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and laugh at Johnny Depp behaving ridiculously.

NPR really needs to run a segment right now of nothing but MCU characters saying "Sun's coming down."  SMASH.  SMASH.

Aurora performed at the Oscars as part of the Disney song for Frozen 2. I didn't get to watch it (I'm sure it's on YouTube) but they scanned the audience later in the programming and sure enough it was her.

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 10, 2020, 20:35

Aurora performed at the Oscars as part of the Disney song for Frozen 2. I didn't get to watch it (I'm sure it's on YouTube) but they scanned the audience later in the programming and sure enough it was her.

no idea, no idea

I lost my shit when I saw her in the back. Even mom recognized her from Eve of Destruction

Spoiler

am I the only one who thought her vocals sounded similar to Stairway to heaven?
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I saw Aurora when I was watching the Oscars. As soon as I did a double take, the camera was off her. I wish she had gotten a bit more screen time!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Feb 11, 2020, 05:19

I saw Aurora when I was watching the Oscars. As soon as I did a double take, the camera was off her. I wish she had gotten a bit more screen time!
If she hadn't been available, they were gonna get Lorde to pop up and go "There it is".

IT'S MORNING TIME!