Don't Think Just Let It Flow

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 07, 2020, 18:15

The influence of For A Few Dollars More:

2) Blue Monday (from 0.33)

I actually watched all three of the Dollars Trilogy films during lockdown recently. I concluded it must be a rare example of each film in a series being better than the previous one. The first one of course, didn't have Ennio's music...

Was unaware of the "Blue Monday" bit. Seems so obvious now. Thanks for sharing.

For those that haven't, I encourage all to go watch the Dollars trilogy. Compared to todays standards, it might not be the most enthralling cinematic experience, but it's loaded with style and legendary scores. Great movies to get lost into in the wee hours at night.

I never connected Blue Monday and For a Few Dollars More. It does seem obvious now! I feel like Morricone's music had a huge influence on so many artists. Amon Tobin comes to my mind in particular, he sampled Ennio on a few occasions (Golfer vs Boxer being the most obvious) and even named a track "Ode to Morricone"

I absolutely love Blue Monday (and The Beach) but I despise Blue Monday 1988. It's an unnecessary and annoying butchering of a classic, and I'm usually pretty keen on remix culture.

That is all.

Wait. It's not.

I enjoy Orgy's cover just fine and think the Hardfloor Mix from The Rest of New Order is pretty damn cool, but none compare to the original. 

Okay...one more thing. I came to post this BEFORE I knew there was a Blue Monday conversation already happening. Weird.

And THAT is all.

Last Edit: Jul 15, 2020, 16:21 by satur8
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

The Black Madonna has changed her name.
https://mixmag.net/read/the-black-madonna-the-blessed-madonna-news

Although not everyone is impressed.
https://twitter.com/HONEYDIJON/status/1285301894789967876

Well whatever she's called, she has some nice tunes.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

damn, I just started getting into Primal scream, too. She was high till the day she died. Rest in peace Denise Johnson
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I missed the complaints about the Black Madonnas name and her changing it.

What a huge steaming pile of bullshit people choose to worry about.

Quote from: MadPooter on Jul 30, 2020, 06:24

I missed the complaints about the Black Madonnas name and her changing it.

What a huge steaming pile of bullshit people choose to worry about.

Yeah, this seemed really weird, when Wolkenkrabber posted that. I'm usually quite sensitive when it comes to racism or injustice of any kind etc. but this I don't get at all. What right do others have to question her reason to name herself after that religous icon? All those arguments listed in the mixmag article seem streched and contrieved. Digital blackface, what nonsense in this case. She was not mocking the name but rather chose it out of honor and respect.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

It's presumptuous and ignorant to assume that when people use the word "black" they are intending to mean the black community of [insert country and/or planet here].

I understood the word "black" in The Black Madonna's name to call on the gothic definition of the word.

First Clevland brown got canceled all because the actor was WHITE (Its a frickin voice actor, I didn't know he was white until now and it doesn't bother me.) And now "Blessed Madonna" Changed her name because it had the word Black in it?

Wait 'till cancel culture hear about Black magic, Black Ops and Black Market.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Aug 01, 2020, 14:59

First Clevland brown got canceled all because the actor was WHITE (Its a frickin voice actor, I didn't know he was white until now and it doesn't bother me.)

It's not really about whether it bothers you. As a Black person, seeing a popular character that, let's face it, HEAVILY stereotypes an entire race - to then find out that the person behind the voice of that character is not even Black, that's a bit of a gut punch. It's a job opportunity that definitely could have been given to a BIPOC but for whatever reason was not. It's an unfortunate and very public example of what the Black Lives Matter movement is trying to address, which is why the creators made the sensible decision to remove the character. You're upset about a character being cancelled but not addressing why BIPOC might be upset about his existence in the first place. At the end of the day, living without Cleveland Brown should be a very, very easy inconvenience to suffer if it helps progress a movement towards actual equality.

The Black Madonna thing seems pretty stupid though.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Csar on Jul 30, 2020, 07:56

Yeah, this seemed really weird, when Wolkenkrabber posted that. I'm usually quite sensitive when it comes to racism or injustice of any kind etc. but this I don't get at all. What right do others have to question her reason to name herself after that religous icon? All those arguments listed in the mixmag article seem streched and contrieved. Digital blackface, what nonsense in this case. She was not mocking the name but rather chose it out of honor and respect.

Totally agreed. What utter nonsense.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: Csar on Jul 30, 2020, 07:56

There had been comments about her dj name for a while and most of them seemed to be connected to her pointed criticism of misogyny in dj culture and those people can go fuck themselves.  As someone who knows her through the Ohio River region rave scene, her respect for Catholicism, black people, & UK basketball is without question (being a UK fan is always questionable though...).

My wife and I (mostly my wife) made it onto the news this evening!

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Can I get one?

I just voted...

...in my provincial election (not quite the same stakes).
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 21, 2020, 01:07

My wife and I (mostly my wife) made it onto the news this evening!

nice, I showed this to my mom and now she and I wants one.