Hey Girl

General Bullshit Chat (pt 2)

Started by whirlygirl, Jul 08, 2015, 01:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, tracks not on an album are also underrepresented in my listening habits.
Velodrome is such an amazing track! I bought the digital release (I remember that it was not known initially whether there will be a physical release) and then burned a CD (a fancy one which could even be printed on), complete with a custom insert for a jewel case, just because I wanted the CD in my shelf XD

Speaking of her on the Live'21 topic, has anyone listen to Anna-Lynne Williams two cover albums (released under her stage name Lotte Kestner) simply called "Covers" and "Covers vol. 2". Her version of Radioheads 'How to disappear completely' is fantastic.

edit:
speaking about Radiohead covers, Fake Plastic Trees by Arlo Parks & Phoebe Bridgers is also a great listen

Last Edit: Mar 23, 2021, 11:34 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

Introducing Ralph, the new spokes-bunny of the global campaign to ban animal testing for cosmetics. #SaveRalph​​ is a powerful stop-motion animation short film produced by Humane Society International, featuring an all-star multinational cast including Taika Waititi, Ricky Gervais, Zac Efron, Olivia Munn, Pom Klementieff, Rodrigo Santoro, Tricia Helfer and more.
no idea, no idea

For the last month and a half, I've never had this many things going on in my life at the same time before. A baby on the way, a new apartment (and the complicated moving that goes with it, including driving a small truck, in Paris, with the stress of having to be quick because there's a curfew at 7PM), I bought my first car, my grandma passed away (good thing from that: we got a big family reunion, something we didn't have in almost two years), and I got vaccinated yesterday. After one year of pretty much doing nothing and staying at home, this is a lot of action. I hope next month will be less agitated and I can just enjoy FFVII Remake Intergrade from my couch, enjoy a beer and a burger on the docks, and finaly go to the cinema and see the bajilion movies that were pushed last year.
Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 09:09 by Ben_j

I hate to tell you this, but if you think things are gonna calm down once that kid is born, um... well, bless your little heart. :D . On the plus side, you'll have license to Dad bod!

Sounds like you're doing really well, Ben J.

Quote from: Ben_j on May 12, 2021, 08:57

(and the complicated moving that goes with it, including driving a small truck, in Paris, with the stress of having to be quick because there's a curfew at 7PM),

Yikes, I'm familiar with your previous attempt at driving a truck in Paris :D

Btw how do people drive their cars on the Arc de Triomphe roundabout is a mystery to me

Where are you moving? Same district?
Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 17:25 by kosek
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Quote from: Bosco on May 12, 2021, 15:27

I hate to tell you this, but if you think things are gonna calm down once that kid is born, um... well, bless your little heart. :D . On the plus side, you'll have license to Dad bod!

Sounds like you're doing really well, Ben J.
I'm aware of that, but I will have a few months to relax before that :D
Don't tell anyone, but I already have a dad bod :-[

Quote from: kosek on May 12, 2021, 17:15

Yikes, I'm familiar with your previous attempt at driving a truck in Paris :D

Btw how do people drive their cars on the Arc de Triomphe roundabout is a mystery to me

Where are you moving? Same district?
Haha, I didn't remember telling you about that :D It went much smoother this time around, and it gave me confidence for picking up the car the next day.
I'm not going anywhere near the Arc de Triomphe with my car, I'll mostly use it to drive away from Paris, for holidays or weekends, or going to Ikea or Disneyland.
I moved to another arrondissement(14th), that is next to the one where I was before (13th). It's 30mn away with public transportation. I like my old neighboorhood more, but the flat is much better now (bigger, with a balcony, a huge fridge, in a more recent building so I don't hear my neighboors)
Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 20:14 by Ben_j

Our German friends, are you ok?
News I'm seeing is truly awful, hope you guys are safe.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on Jul 16, 2021, 07:10

Our German friends, are you ok?
Can't speak for the other ones, but i'm as ok as i could be (seems like i got an unwanted present from london)

Quote from: sandelic on Jul 16, 2021, 07:10

News I'm seeing is truly awful
Yeah, the pictures where horrible and still are. The godmother of one of my best friends died in that disaster. But theres a lot solidarity going on here with a lot of people coming from other towns helping cleaning up the mess, bringing donations with all the stuff that is needed most.
no idea, no idea

My sympathies to all affected in Germany, Belgium, Austria and beyond. I see China is now suffering dreadful floods too.

I think we've f**ked it. "We" being the human race, "it" being the planet. I think Greta is rght to be angry. I'm afraid it's about greed, ambition and power. Oh and corporations that get so big they are virtually unstoppable.

The AOC footage below from 2019 was powerful. There was a woman sitting next to the Exxon scientist that day called Naomi Oreskes (she's on twitter if you care). She wrote a book called Merchants of Doubt - which was turned into a documentary film in 2014. The title refers to those working for both tobacco and oil companies whose job it was to sow seeds of doubt in people's minds re: the harmfulness of tobacco and oil. Often these companies knew far more about their product (and its harms) than the official bodies overseeing them. I haven't read the book, but the film is well worth a watch.

Even now, short term greed and competition between nations and businesses mean that we will continue to plough the same furrow as things get worse and worse. Good luck everybody!

In less serious news the mention of Peggy Gou on the Now Playing thread made me wonder if everyone had seen the Daniel Wang article/rant/post that he put on Facebook last December. Could he be jealous of the fact that she's from the same part of the world as him but has overtaken him in terms of success? Possibly.
Do I think he made this stuff up? I doubt it. If he did, he should pursue a new career as a novelist!

6am: Daniel Wang accuses Peggy Gou (and she responds)

Magnetic Mag: a sort-of defence of Peggy Gou

Reddit

EDIT Oh Reddit shows as a sort of embed. I didn't know it would do that!
Last Edit: Jul 22, 2021, 23:04 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 22, 2021, 21:30

I think we've f**ked it. "We" being the human race, "it" being the planet.

First thing I think of when I read this (WARNING for those who can't handle some heavy nihilism):

Gosh, if only the human race could've figured out there are serious consequences to elevating opinions, paid consultants, and grifts to the same level of actual rigorous scientific research...Gee, I wonder if there are any parallels from how environmental and biological threats to our existence are considered by conservative thinking people? 

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 23, 2021, 03:53

First thing I think of when I read this (WARNING for those who can't handle some heavy nihilism):

Ok, for George Carlin I'll re-phrase: I think we've f**ked the planet in terms of our own habitation needs.
...Not to mention sea life and all the species we have displaced.

Imagine in hundreds of thousands (millions?) of years time, a new intelligent civilisation manages to dig up some old remnants of 21st Century man, like we do with old Neanderthal remains. Maybe they figure out: "oh they did it to themselves!!" Well, who could blame that future species for concluding "Well 'Man' wasn't a very bright species; no wonder they're extinct"?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 23, 2021, 10:40

Ok, for George Carlin I'll re-phrase: I think we've f**ked the planet in terms of our own habitation needs

You're all good. I'm with you, and your concerns for the environment we live in. I don't think there is any true answers to save our habitat, other than using reliable scientific data to help slow the inevitable decay of our existence. This is where extreme words like depopulation, discipline, reduction, selflessness, and un-meddling, come into play.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 23, 2021, 03:53

I grew up with Thomas the Tank Engine and Bill & Ted. I heavily FUX with George Carlin, he speaks real stuff. ;D
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

And there's always the people who nobody knows where they came from and what their goal is.
There are reports that numerous idiots trying to disturb the rescue and cleanup in the flooded areas - and they are literally throw garbage at those who help cleaning up the mess. What are those people thinking? How stupid can someone be?

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/thw-mitarbeiter-mit-muell-beworfen-und-beschimpft-a-4b980823-42ea-4285-83b5-3383540dd58d

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-flood-helpers-pelted-with-garbage/a-58623123
no idea, no idea

Me: People are losing empathy towards others!
Rest of the world: Fuck you!

I need another chems tour in my parts soon! Tired of assholes like this:

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/regional/florida/lawn-worker-saves-driver-seizure-florida/67-3ba56f1f-db78-4472-b3ea-9479fcb7ce8b
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I hope everyone is okay. This is absolutely a rough time for all. I certainly encourage everyone to try to remember that love is all, even if people scream about... whatever is on their mind.

Try not to let people get you down, inchemwetrust. You are a bright light in this world--keep shining.