Dig Your Own Hole

Who is Kate Gibb?

Started by Csar, Jul 08, 2015, 11:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Nekcore on Jul 09, 2015, 20:07

Dear lord, those shirts... It's Beautiful.

I know right. Do you know if they're still for sale anywhere?
Last Edit: Oct 18, 2021, 14:13 by BusterBen

Meet Kate Gibb, the artist behind Surrender's artwork:

https://crackmagazine.net/article/long-reads/meet-kate-gibb-the-artist-behind-the-chemical-brothers-surrender-artwork/

Were you familiar with their music? What did you think when you first heard the record?

Vaguely – I was more of an indie kid at the time! We were invited to the Virgin HQ, myself and Mark Tappin (designer/art director at Blue Source) were to be played the album by their label manager Steve. We were overwhelmed by the magnitude of their sound. We listened to pretty much the whole of Surrender, smiling at each other and giving occasional 'thumbs up' signs. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced. On the way out Mel C from the Spice Girls passed me! All very surreal.

It allowed me to hear, feel and interpret their music in a completely intuitive way. Stopping to actually listen, not multitasking or working at the same time. Absorbing their sound on a purer level revealed the multi-layering and complexities of their process. From then on I was a fan.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Great interview with the visual chemical sister Kate Gibb. Love her creative process and reading about that approach, and enjoyed reading about the a-ha moment when she went from vaguely knowing their music to being a fan.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Here's a nice 40 minute interview with Kate from August. There's only a brief mention of the Chems but it's no less interesting if you like her work in general. Kate talks about her methods, digital versus analogue processes, and what it means to be a print artist.

https://embed.podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/print-maker-illustrator-kate-gibb/id1435811372?i=1000440020189
Last Edit: Nov 18, 2020, 10:18 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Just listened to this while doing the dishes. What a lovely lady. A really fascinating chat about her journey and her approach to printing.

Does anyone know what t shirts she was talking about that she designed with a friend's clothing company?
dancesoitallkeepsspinning