We Are the Night

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
I've seen Joker yesterday.
And it was first thing on my mind when I opened my eyes this morning.
Do I have to say it made an impression?
It's one of those movies I will not watch again anytime soon, if ever.
But I have to say, I didn't expect anyone to even come close to Ledger's Joker.
Phoenix did, and it's an achievement unto itself.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Wife and I finished up watching the second season of End of The Fucking World last night.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's hard for me to pin point exactly why I like it, but I really do.
Very charming in an entirely un-charming way.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: sandelic on Nov 14, 2019, 13:54

I've seen Joker yesterday.
And it was first thing on my mind when I opened my eyes this morning.
Do I have to say it made an impression?
It's one of those movies I will not watch again anytime soon, if ever.
But I have to say, I didn't expect anyone to even come close to Ledger's Joker.
Phoenix did, and it's an achievement unto itself.

I liked both Ledgers and Phoenix portrayals.

Ledger's portrayal was a cold blooded psychopath that was always one step ahead of the authorities and constantly challenging the psyche of anyone he interacted with. It's an unstoppable force when someone is absent of any morals. He tilted the scales in convincing fashion.

Phoenix's portrayal was
Spoiler
of a mentally ill, destitute, and socially deprived person who went on a downward-spiral because the systems in power failed him (both his parents and government). Despite his mentally ill state, he has sympathetic and is conscious of the well-being of others. His misfortunes, and bumbling actions which were controversial, led himself to being a disenfranchised hero. Whether you feel sympathetic to him is for you to decide. An option that Ledger's portrayal never had.

As for The Joker's, "re-watch-ablity"... I'm mostly with you guys... I don't need to see it again, or at least a while. That doesn't mean I thought it was a bad film, actually quite the opposite. It's a very stressful film though, where you have to be in the state-of-mind to comprehend it correctly.

I know the DC franchise can carry some weight in terms of where their loyal consumers spend dollars, but like I said before, it's quite shocking how well received this film is amongst a pretty sheltered movie-going public.

I think it's a must see, but not in the sense where you will be entertained. That sounds weird typing that.

A dude I work with didn't like the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. He is wrong.

I won't spoil anything because I know the U.S. has it early...although the internet is doing its best to ruin it for everyone.

I will say it's solid on all fronts, even if you are only a casual Star Wars fan. If you've ever loved ANY Star Wars, you will probably love this. I've very excited for the next episode.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Needs a bit more...Blue Monday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfM7_JLk-84&fbclid=IwAR1B_yH_JOwbXU5FnAE-acsrFXCXuX5suCCuPBO-2kemxx65JPHNRScht18

(Technically I'm not watching this as the thread suggests. Until next summer)
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: satur8 on Nov 20, 2019, 15:50

A dude I work with didn't like the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. He is wrong.

I won't spoil anything because I know the U.S. has it early...although the internet is doing its best to ruin it for everyone.

I will say it's solid on all fronts, even if you are only a casual Star Wars fan. If you've ever loved ANY Star Wars, you will probably love this. I've very excited for the next episode.
I loved the first 3 episodes but the 4th one was Xena Warrior Princess meets Pocahontas garbage.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Dec 08, 2019, 23:16

Needs a bit more...Blue Monday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfM7_JLk-84&fbclid=IwAR1B_yH_JOwbXU5FnAE-acsrFXCXuX5suCCuPBO-2kemxx65JPHNRScht18

(Technically I'm not watching this as the thread suggests. Until next summer)

Honestly... This is really the first WB/DC trailer I've been really excited about since The Dark Knight trilogy. It definitely leans VEEEEERY heavily on the music but, props to them, I think it works!

Quote from: Ben_j on Dec 09, 2019, 13:34

I loved the first 3 episodes but the 4th one was Xena Warrior Princess meets Pocahontas garbage.
Yes, Episode 4 wasn't that good, and 5 was just a little better. Thing with all episodes so far => it looks like Star Wars but doesn't feel like Star Wars. Somehow i think they tell the story too fast. Let the episodes be 60 min long and gave the characters some more space to grow.
Spoiler
For example: Episode 3. The other Mandalorians hate the main character, they seem jealous and all, they battle him (even though it's only a fist fight) and five seconds later they fight side by side against "the guild" and know they have to leave all behind and start somewhere new. What's all about this?

Quote from: Enjoyed on Dec 09, 2019, 17:50

Honestly... This is really the first WB/DC trailer I've been really excited about since The Dark Knight trilogy. It definitely leans VEEEEERY heavily on the music but, props to them, I think it works!
The first one was also a nice watch, for me it is the only real good movie of the DC Extended Universe movies. Gal Gadot does a perfect job playing Wonder Woman (and is nice to look at  ;) ). She also was the only good part of Superman vs. Batman and Justice League. I'm curious how they explain that Steve is alive.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Dec 09, 2019, 19:43

The first one was also a nice watch, for me it is the only real good movie of the DC Extended Universe movies. Gal Gadot does a perfect job playing Wonder Woman (and is nice to look at  ;) ). She also was the only good part of Superman vs. Batman and Justice League. I'm curious how they explain that Steve is alive.

Completely agree. To clarify, this is the first TRAILER that I've been excited about. I don't remember being all that impressed with the original WW trailer, as much as I enjoyed the movie. And subsequent DC trailers have actively encouraged me not to watch the actual movie.

Seems i have overread the trailer part

Oh, and the new Ghostbusters trailer - not what i've expected. Not sure what i have expected, but it's not what is seen in the trailer.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Dec 09, 2019, 19:43

Yes, Episode 4 wasn't that good, and 5 was just a little better. Thing with all episodes so far => it looks like Star Wars but doesn't feel like Star Wars. Somehow i think they tell the story too fast. Let the episodes be 60 min long and gave the characters some more space to grow.

Lucas had the stories of the original star wars in his head for like years and years before he shot the film, whereas the star wars of today, are quickly thought up within a fraction of the time lucas spent imagining them in his life. After this new film, I hope the franchise gets a new vision and a way longer grace period before it puts out another film.

Will see the film but im gonna laugh if Captain Phasma shows up again.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Star Wars episode 9... What to say... This might be my biggest movie disappointment ever. The writing level is on par with a fan fiction. The pace is awful, it never breathes. The "new" characters have the charisma of a fork (not the fork from Toy Story 4) and not enough screen time to get any attachment.

Spoiler
The only moment I liked was Ben's reunion with Han. The "I know" was the only callback to the old episodes that didn't feel forced or out of place. Appart from that, it's à bunch of badly written, even more badly directed nonsense

Edit: I should mention that I'm a big fan of Episodes 7 and 8

Gonna see it drunk, should be great
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Dec 18, 2019, 23:18

Gonna see it drunk, should be great
I wasn't drunk but it sure as hell felt like I was. Or the screenwriters were.

Star Wars
Spoiler
I pretty much agree with Ben_j, exept that I also thought the Han Solo scene was cringeworthy. To call this lazy script (I'M THE SPY!!!!) on par with fan fiction would be an insult to many fan writers ;D.
I'm quite sad, because some general plot points surprised me in a positive way (For instance, ever since Episode VII I dreaded the reveal of Rey's ancestry and would've prefered if she stayed just Rey No Second Name, but I did not expect this and it even made sense. Or that the inevitable Reylo didn't take much screen time and that the movie's last scene wasn't them holding hands, riding off into the sunset together. Favourite scene: probably when Rey basically used her lightsaber as a flashlight and then Poe switches on his flashlight as if it were a lightsaber ;D
But why oh why was this packed into such a tedious and boring movie. I really, really liked the freshness and lighthearted goofiness of Episode VIII, and this script felt like it was written to appease the small, but loud reactionary fan base that thought the last movie wasn't "real" Star Wars. And with that, Disney or JJ Abrans or whoever threw nearly everything that made the new trilogy interesting under the bus.

Quote from: Stefan on Dec 19, 2019, 17:28

Star Wars
Spoiler
I pretty much agree with Ben_j, exept that I also thought the Han Solo scene was cringeworthy. To call this lazy script (I'M THE SPY!!!!) on par with fan fiction would be an insult to many fan writers ;D.
I'm quite sad, because some general plot points surprised me in a positive way (For instance, ever since Episode VII I dreaded the reveal of Rey's ancestry and would've prefered if she stayed just Rey No Second Name, but I did not expect this and it even made sense. Or that the inevitable Reylo didn't take much screen time and that the movie's last scene wasn't them holding hands, riding off into the sunset together. Favourite scene: probably when Rey basically used her lightsaber as a flashlight and then Poe switches on his flashlight as if it were a lightsaber ;D
But why oh why was this packed into such a tedious and boring movie. I really, really liked the freshness and lighthearted goofiness of Episode VIII, and this script felt like it was written to appease the small, but loud reactionary fan base that thought the last movie wasn't "real" Star Wars. And with that, Disney or JJ Abrans or whoever threw nearly everything that made the new trilogy interesting under the bus.

Spoiler
Yeah, the humourous touches were pretty good most of the time. Thinking back, I do also like the fact that Rey is a Palatine. And I did like the scene with Rey and Kylo on the desert, the Rey Vs ship and the wrestle to control the ship, ending in Rey's power unleashing. This was a very powerful scene

I've been exposed to the Plinkett reviews via Red Letter Media, and over the course of the last few years and they have convincingly made me a cynic towards everything Star Wars.

This is a franchise where there is no content left to be made.

Quote from: Bosco on Dec 20, 2019, 19:59

I've been exposed to the Plinkett reviews via Red Letter Media, and over the course of the last few years and they have convincingly made me a cynic towards everything Star Wars.

Did he review the new trilogy too ? I have only seen his prelogy videos.

Quote from: Bosco on Dec 20, 2019, 19:59

Did you play Knights of the Old Republic 1&2?
They are better written than whole SW movie saga combined.
Proof that there is still content left to be made, if only someone competent would write it.

I've watched first two Witcher episodes yesterday.
Having expected nothing much of it, I actually had fun watching it.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on Dec 21, 2019, 07:27

Did you play Knights of the Old Republic 1&2?
They are better written than whole SW movie saga combined.
Proof that there is still content left to be made, if only someone competent would write it.

I have not played Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. I'm sure they have some interesting story lines, just like some of the other Star Wars novel-based properties. But, my guess is the story is too convoluted and doesn't involve the main characters or plot from the original trilogy. That's too risky for Disney to turn into a major motion picture. They'll probably stick with smaller budget origin-type stories on Disney+ for the immediate future. I'm sure they'll be another attempt at a saga, where kid audiences of this generation, will be adults in the next, and have their nostalgia preyed upon. It's a timeless loop of "good vs. bad" that ultimately achieves nothing other than deprecating the clout of the original.