Listen to Your Heart

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MIKL on Sep 08, 2021, 12:31

I've been watching these all night getting different snippets each time between the blue and red pill.

there are 180.000 different teasers...
no idea, no idea

Pff, they apparently didn't even bother to ask Mr. Fishburne to return. This can go straight to DVD. Or better, VHS.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I still own the the original on VHS! I would imagine it's the last VHS I purchased or was gifted, back in the day.

If I can find a reliable VHS player I think I'll watch it in leiu of Matrix 4 on release day.

I think maybe any big movie is not going to do as well as pre-covid time.

I hope its a good come back after so many action movies after these ones has a slow motion over the top fighting sequence for better or for worse and similar storylines have been attempted.

Agent Smith (or hugo weaving) won't be in it due to scheduling conflict. They tried to make it happen apparently but didn't happen. I wouldn't rule out morphius completely, who knows could come back later if goes well or maybe just not part of the storyline for this one. Of course if it bombs then thats it. And in this climate there's a higher chance.
Last Edit: Sep 09, 2021, 14:04 by MIKL
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 09, 2021, 03:26

I still own the the original on VHS! I would imagine it's the last VHS I purchased or was gifted, back in the day.

If I can find a reliable VHS player I think I'll watch it in leiu of Matrix 4 on release day.
Ha, I discarded my Matrix 1 & 2 last year or so because I thought I would get me a bluray one day for better quality. But since yesterday, when Pumisher sent me down the white rabbit hole with that link, I've learned that the older bluerays suffered from excessive green tint that was not there in its theatrical runs. And now I can't go back to my VHS to compare them.

The 4k/bluray are said to have been remasterd so maybe I'm going to buy the first Matrix one of these days. Not so keen about the last 2.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

The acting from some characters is a bit on the nose from the second one and some on 3rd. The cringe worthy rave scene in the 2nd I can't watch. But the rest I liked even with the 3rd one's ending. Not sure how they will tie in the story with this new one but will find out soon. I suppose Neo has reentered the matrix somehow and is forgetting his past by taking blue pills while in there from what I got in the trailer.

From the looks of the trailer, I think Lana Wachowski played it somewhat safe by giving us a retelling of the original film alongside some new elements and characters (ala SW: The Force Awakens)

Alot of callbacks in this trailer, and because of this, I feel it wont be different enough to be somewhat a fresh new film.

I still have my DVD boxset of the trilogy somewhere in my closet.

Funny thing: I remember when the L.A. Times newspaper did the review of the last Matrix film. The headline was 'Landing With A Thud'
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: MIKL on Sep 09, 2021, 14:09

The acting from some characters is a bit on the nose from the second one and some on 3rd. The cringe worthy rave scene in the 2nd I can't watch. But the rest I liked even with the 3rd one's ending. Not sure how they will tie in the story with this new one but will find out soon. I suppose Neo has reentered the matrix somehow and is forgetting his past by taking blue pills while in there from what I got in the trailer.

I would say the acting overall is pretty bad for all three movies. Laurence Fishburne, Hugo Weaving, and Joe Pantoliano are about the only remarkable performances and they only exist in the boundaries of the first film. Keanu Reeves has never been a strong actor, but is very much a like-able and handsome guy. His "fish out of water", is fine. Carrie-Anne Moss is kowtowed to Keanu, so there isn't much for her to work with. But credit to her casting, she very much looks the part for a sleek, dark, dystopian film.

Movies 2 and 3 were all about world building, and scene after scene dumping of state of the art visuals. Acting was an afterthought, and rightfully so for a sci-fi action based franchise. For me, these sequels struggled to show a compelling story.

turns out that new guy is morpheus. Possibly a younger or new version?

actually, just clicked who the girl was with the Alice in Wonderland book was. A younger version of the Oracle. The glasses gave it away.

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 09, 2021, 20:21

Keanu Reeves has never been a strong actor
You sayin he was not strong in the Bill & Ted movies?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 10, 2021, 20:13

You sayin he was not strong in the Bill & Ted movies?

LOL, he was strong in Babes in Toyland!

Have you ever seen Bram Stoker's Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola? The movie has two world class actors in Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins, while Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder absolutely butcher the movie. Watch it if you wanna yuck it up to some horrible miscasting. Also, The practical effects in the film are quite great.

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 11, 2021, 01:56

LOL, he was strong in Babes in Toyland!

Have you ever seen Bram Stoker's Dracula by Francis Ford Coppola? The movie has two world class actors in Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins, while Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder absolutely butcher the movie. Watch it if you wanna yuck it up to some horrible miscasting. Also, The practical effects in the film are quite great.

Did you see footage from making of Dracula?
In one bit, Coppola and Gary are having an argument and Francis says - "Why are you waiting for Keanu? Keanu never does anything."
Of course, he's not trying to say Reeves sucks to his face, but it's still funny as hell.
And I looooove that movie. I just skip scenes involving him and Winona.  ;D
Oh and yeah, I kind of look forward to new Matrix movie. I just don't have great expectations.
Dune, one the other hand, will see my ass sitting in IMAX theater day after premiere.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on Sep 13, 2021, 19:41

Dune, one the other hand, will see my ass sitting in IMAX theater day after premiere.

I still have to sit my ass down and watch the original 'Dune'.

As for the new one, Denis Villeneuve projects are being coming can't-miss. I'm big fan of all his recent bigger budget films. Hans Zimmer on the soundtrack again, too!

Out of curiosity, did you read the books?
Or is Dune universe completely unknown to you?

Me, read books? Ha! I'm a very sensory heavy person and have some terrible reading comprehension.Hopefully, I'll tap into the magic of reading books and expand my mind for the better, within the near future.

So to answer your questions. No, I have not read the books. Nor do I know anything about the Dune universe. Just that David Lynch directed the original film.

I would very much like to hear your two cents if you're going to watch new Dune.
I wonder what fresh pair of eyes would think about it.

I've seen Dune yesterday, and I was blown away by almost everything. I have never read the books, and the story was well told and not too confusing, introducing this complex world in clever ways. Visually it was absolutely stunning, and I'm pleased to see "new" stuff that I haven't seen in any other SF movies, like
Spoiler
those dragonfly-like helicopters, or the shields that just resist for a brief moment before giving in, giving you a protection but not making you completely invincible

I was also pleased by the soundtrack, without knowing it was Hans Zimmer. I was kind of fed up with his music, it became too typical and predictible, and I feel like he's done something fresh for Dune

Hmmm I'm currently thinking whether I should read the book before watching the movie or not.

I love Zimmer's music, I would advise everybody to see the live show. It is fantastic! On par with the Chems.
6th and 7th April at AccorHotels Arena ;)
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

I'm delighted to hear that, Ben_j!
Story of Dune is very complex and one can really grasp it only after reading first few books and if they managed to tell it in hmm, non-confusing way that's an achievement unto itself.
My tickets are for 22.10. which feels like years away. And now I'm even more hyped that I should be.