I Know What to Do: I'm Going to Lose My Mind

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle Season 4
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Started watching Orange is the New Black. What a compelling series this is and a rollercoaster of emotions that often leaves me thinking and more than once in a weepy kind of mood. Very well written, acted and directed.
Does anybody watch it too? If so, can anyone tell me why the COs and other officials wear a mirror-inverted US flag batch on their right arms?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

10 Cloverfield Lane

Whether it should be compared to Cloverfield at all is debatable. But this is the better film. Go see!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 23, 2016, 11:04

10 Cloverfield Lane

Whether it should be compared to Cloverfield at all is debatable. But this is the better film. Go see!

Yeah.It's barely related is it. But a good watch.

I personally preferred Cloverfield, but I know I'm in the minority of folks who enjoyed that movie as a good simple monster flick.

Finally got through Breaking Bad...Holy.  Shit. 

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Mar 23, 2016, 22:01

Finally got through Breaking Bad...Holy.  Shit. 
S05E14? (a.k.a. the most intense episode of any series ever made?)
no idea, no idea

I find myself constantly asking "W.W.W.W.D?"

Just came back from Batman V Superman, and what is it with all the hate ? I really enjoyed it. Affleck is a perfect Bruce Wayne and a perfect Batman, Wonder Woman was quite awesome. I just hated Lex Luthor and thought they went completely off topic with Jesse Eisenberg...

Quote from: Ben_j on Mar 27, 2016, 00:08

Just came back from Batman V Superman, and what is it with all the hate ? I really enjoyed it. Affleck is a perfect Bruce Wayne and a perfect Batman, Wonder Woman was quite awesome. I just hated Lex Luthor and thought they went completely off topic with Jesse Eisenberg...

I completely disagree.

It's an awful movie. I felt ashamed to be wearing my Batman t shirt when I left the cinema.
The story was OK but the sudden jumps between the way characters felt about things were terrible. The CGI was obnoxious throughout - there were moments that were CGI for seemingly no reason. The batmobile for example - most of it could have been filmed for real instead of drawing in some shitty Arkham Knight rip off.
And the music.
Good lord, the music.
A freakin' electric guitar every time Wonder Woman comes on screen?! What was that! And the over the top classical music when Lex Luthor's plan was unfolding. Ugh.

I think I enjoyed Wonder Woman, maybe, but she was so unsubtly wedged into the movie, it felt like an obligation for her to be there rather than a privilege.

I have nothing against Affleck. He was a reasonable Bruce Wayne. But he was NOT a good Batman. He said and did things that made NO sense for Batman to do. And he should have known how bad the movie was, and done something about it instead of being surprised by the response.

Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.

Edit: Oh yeah. And the pacing. Some stuff happened in an instant (some of those characters' decisions to do things) and other times there was a full 2 minute slow zoom in of Louis and Superman embracing. I was bored and frustrated and disappointed and sad. Most of all sad, that someone could get a beloved character caught up in such a dismal collection of moving images.
Last Edit: Mar 28, 2016, 13:24 by Enjoyed

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 27, 2016, 02:19

And he should have known how bad the movie was, and done something about it instead of being surprised by the response.

no idea, no idea

I get that some people wouldn't like it. I don't get how much of a backlash it's getting. It certainly doesn't deserve a 38% on rotten tomatoes :/

Quote from: Ben_j on Mar 27, 2016, 12:15

It certainly doesn't deserve a 38% on rotten tomatoes :/

You're right. It deserves less.

Here's one example of why...

EVERY. TIME. SHE'S. ON. SCREEN.

And not subtly, like the guitar is worked into the score over what's already playing. No. The music completely changes up and you're taken completely out of the action. It's such a childish way to introduce a character.

I really wanted to like it. I honestly went in expecting to be at least entertained and to enjoy seeing my favourite comic book character on the big screen again. But they did such a bad job. SUCH a bad job with it. The backlash is completely justified. And what's more, the places defending it are saying that things like "it's the first time Batman and Superman have shared the screen before" and "it kicks off the DC Extended Universe" are the main reasons to go see it. That's not a good sign.

Wait, what about this? Not in the film?  ???

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Are you kidding ? The Wonder Woman theme is awesome !

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 23, 2016, 11:04

10 Cloverfield Lane

I just saw it, and wow. Loved every bit of it. It's a rollercoaster of plot twists. How all of the events in Cloverfield and 10 Cloverfield Lane relate is something that would be interesting for a third movie.

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 27, 2016, 09:31

Whatever the movie is like (I haven't seen it yet), I find this despicable video disgusting to be honest. I mean, Affleck cleary seems to be going through some rough times lately. He looks depressed and devastated as he did on last year's comic con, too, where he attented a press conference with the other cast members. And the only thing people on the web can think of these days is to capitalize on things like this by putting out an allegedly funny video to merely generate clicks and get a little attention. I reckon sensitivity has passed into oblivion with the interwebs... and youtube in particular. Sorry, I had to vent on this.
Last Edit: Mar 31, 2016, 20:42 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I thought it was hilarious! Does that make me a bad man?
I haven't been aware of Mr Affelck's broader mood though. I figured he was just pissed off at the bad reviews. If I could swap my career with his, I think I would.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Just watched the latest episode of Sherlock, but i found it weird.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 28, 2016, 10:44

I thought it was hilarious! Does that make me a bad man?
I haven't been aware of Mr Affelck's broader mood though. I figured he was just pissed off at the bad reviews. If I could swap my career with his, I think I would.
You're not a bad person, of course not. But I felt real bad about that video because I highly doubt it had anything to do with the bad rap he got for the flick (it might had added to it, though). Watch this comic con segment:

You can see that he's got something on his plate that's troubling him. He looks absent and as devastated as in the above "funny" video.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Mar 29, 2016, 10:45

You can see that he's got something on his plate that's troubling him. He looks absent and as devastated as in the above "funny" video.

That is sad to see. And unfortunately, it wont have helped him or people's perception of his part in the movie. If he was more positive about it and was able to enthusiastically communicate what it was about the character that drew him to the role in the first place, people might have gotten more on board with it. But that would involve suppressing whatever it is he's got going on, which is not good either. So it's a real shame.

Having had a few days to process my arguably OTT emotions from seeing the movie last week, I have taken a step back and begun to appreciate some of the things I did enjoy. The Batman fight sequence in the warehouse for example, was pretty perfect. Though I did spend the whole time watching it thinking, they've just been playing the Arkham series with all these moves he is using (the Batmobile seemed to be ripped from Arkham Knight too).
And other moments - some of the Alfred and Batman back-and-forth, parts of Lex's dialogue (I really like Jessie Eisenburg so didn't actually mind him as much as others did), the pretty spot on Dark Knight Returns Batsuit and cowl,
Spoiler
the Flash cameo
But. And here is the kicker. I keep forgetting about these things because of everything else. I only remembered that Batman fight when I was watching a review. How could I forget the best moment in the film so easily? It's because the movie jumped around all over the place so quickly and frequently and often for seemingly no reason, that I straight up forgot about various scenes.

So yes. It's a DC superhero movie that has Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in. If that's enough for you, then you'll enjoy it. But if you want to go see a decent, well written and well put together movie about those superheros, and, for example, you had issues with some of the silliness with Bane and the story in TDKR, then you are likely to be disappointed.
Say what you will about Avengers and the Marvel movies, but they know how to use multiple characters effectively in a story that doesn't confuse, doesn't waste a whole lot of time, but still gives you clear motivation for the characters' choices.

And that's it from me. I promise. Come shout at me on Facebook if you disagree. I'm keen to hear from people who really liked it for reasons beyond simple entertainment and because it's the first ever movie with Batman, Supes and WW in it.