Maybe I Feel Out of Control

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Disclaimer - I don't think Battle at Helm's Deep is bad. Far from it. It's satisfying, thrilling and interesting. And very similar to GoT. What I take issue with is way it was shot.
GoT being dark is result of natural lighting, not artificial ones as you can see in LoTR, that gave that battle scenes unnatural look.
One can't even find source of light in battle for Helm's Deep. There was no moon, still scene looks like it was shot at high noon. So where does the light comes from? To quote man who directed it 'from same source as the music'. It comes from ALL directions.
Also, it's far too romanticized. Almost no blood to be seen anywhere. I wished it was more darker and realistic.
I think we are so accustomed to Hollywood trickery that naturalistic scenes today look weird to us.
Root cause of this 'discrepancy', methinks, stems from GoT being HBO and can afford to look extra grim and bloody. Peter Jackson was going for PG 13 rating and falls under different rules. Hence almost Disney-like approach to very dark and serious matter.
Spoiler
Also, I'll say one more thing about Endgame and then I'll shut up.
Enjoyed, argument you used for GoT are same ones I would use for Endgame.
In Endgame, we also knew years ago how this will pan out. I think most of my indifference can be traced to this very fact. We knew Black Panther was not really dead, along with many others. What was most interesting to me was to see how they will bring them back. I was very disappointed with that 'quantum time travel' nonsense. When I heard Stark talking about 'quantum GPS' I actually chuckled. And it was not supposed to be funny.
I usually don't speak much about some over-hyped movies we've seen lately because I hate spoiling someone's fun and I'm aware that I'm voicing unpopular opinion. It's very hard to be critical to movie in face of such enthusiasm.
That said, who here watched 2001 in 70mm recently? Bosco? I'm dying to hear your impressions.
Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:30 by sandelic
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

lol, are you pivoting in a sincere way?

Well in the case you are... And Yes, I have seen it in 70mm as part of a 70mm film festival. 

My local (well,  not really local, more like 45-60 minutes away) cinephile movie-house, makes a priority to show non-digital films as much as possible. They have a working 70mm projector and own a 70mm print of '2001: A Space Odyssey'. Every so often they'll construct a 70mm display in their large theater (about 700+ seats) and once a year have a 2 week festival where they celebrate with a presentation of various 70mm films that are available (along with some blown-up 35mm titles). 2001 is always part of the festival and it always draws a packed house.

Now in the case of rating the movie, it's my favorite film. When I first watched the film as a teenager, it introduced me to a different type of movie watching experience then I have ever have been a part of before. It open my mind to all sort of philosophical questions, and made me soak in images, sounds, and music in a way that has changed me forever.

To be honest, seeing the 70mm this past September was only the 3rd time I've seen the movie. I have such high regard for this film, I try and abstain from watching it regularly (or pursuing any corresponding articles/documentaries) so the magic of this film doesn't wear thin on me.

So if your asking and wondering If I noticed any technical or fundamental differences, I'm not the best to ask that. I mean, depending on the quality of print, you will more than likely notice some scratchy and grainy texture (especially at reel changes), but from my particular experience I did not notice any glaring issues.

Overall though, it certainly was a different watching experience. I only ever watched the movie twice before, and that was by myself. In this particular viewing I sat dead center and fairly close to the screen where my peripheral vision wouldn't get distracted. Everyone was well behaved in the theater. Thunderous applause at intermission (LOL!) and again again at end of the movie. Just about everyone stayed seated during the credits while Johann Strauss' 'The Blue Danube' played out.

Color was vibrant, I saw no fade, but I think this is a fairly new print. The picture was huge (duh),and had great definition.

I wasn't expecting the sound to be great, because I had viewed some other films during the festival and some of the sound seemed to lack depth. But for 2001, it was spot on.  I'm thinking maybe since they were so familiar with this particular print, they knew how to properly calibrate the in-house sound system.

Now I ask, why are you asking about it? Is there a 70mm screening in your area?

To chime in about GoT. I've yet to check in on the finale season, yet.

To be honest, I'm kinda exhausted over the last few seasons, but I feel obligated to finish the saga because I've gotten this far. Also, I have a crush on Melisandre (the young version!), but I forgot if she's dead or not! LOL

Was the whole world (outside of the US) subjected by the vomit inducing marketing blitz that preceded this season finale? I have to admit, that was a major fucking turn off for me.

DRAINAGE!!!!

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Bosco on May 03, 2019, 04:03

To chime in about GoT. I've yet to check in on the finale season, yet.

To be honest, I'm kinda exhausted over the last few seasons, but I feel obligated to finish the saga because I've gotten this far. Also, I have a crush on Melisandre (the young version!), but I forgot if she's dead or not! LOL

Was the whole world (outside of the US) subjected by the vomit inducing marketing blitz that preceded this season finale? I have to admit, that was a major fucking turn off for me.

Yes. And if a media outlet wasn't interviewing someone from GOT they were talking about it. I was hoping to save the whole season to watch but just impossible if you walk outside your door basically.

In terms of Endgame and GOT I was way more invested in the storyline with GOT than Endgame. For some reason the drawn out time travel got me bored for this last movie of this era of the Marvel series.

I thought it was a bit dark too and thought all the work they did for that episode (see the 40 min making of on the youtube channel) was put to waste because of 'creative lighting' or lack of. I get the darkness with that fight but it was too dark in parts.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Thanks for that lengthy reply, Bosco. Sorry for responding days later, it's been quite a hectic few days here and next weeks don't look too good, either.
I'm shocked, really, to hear you say it's was your only 3rd time watching 2001! I could not keep myself away from it so I watch it every few months, sometimes even weeks. I watched it last time a week ago in glorious 4K remaster. But 70mm version always interested me, because, as far as I've gather and correct me if I'm wrong, 70mm display field is much, MUCH larger than 35mm we usually see. Is that right?

Am I right in assuming that you actually see more of the scene in this print? Can you compare it with DVD or Bluray version, in terms of display field?
Spoiler
And I've informed myself about cinemas in my country. It turns out we never had cinema capable of showing 70mm film. I expected few here and there purely because of fact many USSR propaganda movies were in that format and former Yugoslavia loved russian propaganda movies.
But no, we don't have such cinema. Closest one is in Vienna, if I'm not mistaken.
We have IMAX cinema, but digital only and that's crap compared to real 70mm film.

Concerning GoT, I'm not sure about how much fuss there is about it on TV.
I've stopped watching TV in late 90's and have no clue how aggressive marketing is. I would guess pretty aggressive. I didn't notice any billboards GoT themed here, mind you. And I think they need none. Not anymore.
I watch it from season 5 onward, so some sort of fatigue didn't have the chance to set in. I'm positive it would if I watched it from beginning. I've read books so I didn't feel the need to watch first few seasons. And to tell you the truth, books were quite boring to me, right until the last book. I liked 5th book very much and decided to start watching in season Martin gave up on writing the end for it.
Oh, yeah, I meant to comment on people clapping or cheering in cinema. That never happens here.
People laugh out loud and that's the only noise they make. And 'wow' if they are surprised. I think it's European thing (or maybe just Croatian thing?). We're too 'polite' to draw attention to ourselves that way. I may be wrong. We have here people from all over the Europe that will correct me if I'm wrong, hopefully.
Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:59 by sandelic

I'm probably gonna speak a little out of depth (I'm new to the 70mm resurgence and technical aspects of viewing films), so excuse me if what I say is a bit dim... :P

I got to see 2001 in 70mm (film runs vertically), not 70mm IMAX (film runs horizontally). My field of view was just as wide, but not as tall as 70mm IMAX. And yes, it's wider than 35mm. And as far as I understand, you are seeing more in terms of "display field" + resolution compared to outdated digital formats and or smaller film formats.

Did I personally notice more with all the extra "display field" in 70mm? Not really. The movie just felt really big, impressive, engrossing and with great clarity. Plus, knowing that this was the intent of how Kubrick wanted the film to be seen, made it feel natural.

One thing that I seem to be taking away from returning to viewing full length physical features over the past year, is the colors seem warmer. Maybe it's because of the natural fade that happens in film, or perhaps it's the bulb that helps project the film. But there is connect between physically shot films, that just seem more inviting. (Or maybe it's the THC infused Butter Popcorn!)

Oh yeah, and as for the applause part in my viewing experience. It was done in an endearing way. It wasn't a distraction, it was actually a great moment among a few hundred people who deeply appreciate the film. I honestly would rather watch the film on my own, but I'll admit, it was a great feeling being in a theater with all of these appreciative people. It was a 2001 geek fest to say the least. :P

I hope you get a date with a 70mm film. I think you'd really enjoy the experience.

Inchem, you just watching 'There Will Be Blood' for the first time? I love that movie. 2007 had a great run of films!

Daniel Day-Lewis was masterful, but I think I like Paul Dano's performance better
Spoiler

Quote from: Bosco on May 08, 2019, 23:39

I hope you get a date with a 70mm film. I think you'd really enjoy the experience.

I so hope I will. I'm sure I would.
And I should really watch 'There Will Be Blood'. I meant to but I totally forgot about it.

Detective Pikachu was excellent. It's the typical "movie I didn't know I needed". All of the Pokemons are perfect and fit in perfectly in the live action scenes. Which makes that Sonic trailer even more ridiculous

Binged through Cobra Kai season 2!

I dont know how they balanced out the plots for each of the characters so seamlessly, but I enjoyed it much more than last season. I like William Zabka role as a father, sensei, and drunk-ass. good acting overall despite a small amount of cheesiness, but makes up with funny nostalgic references and humor.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

GoT is getting worse every week. I'm not expecting anything for the last episode...

In other news, I saw The Dead Don't Die and it's brilliant. Everything I love : dark humour, meta jokes with references that I sometimes were the only one to catch in the audience, Bill Murray, zombie Iggy Pop, blasé Adam Driver... Go see it !

Only thing really bothering me is pacing that is gone to hell; one minute they are talking about invading King's Landing and literally seconds later they are already there.
I'm not sure who thought it would be a good idea to make 7 seasons of sometimes really unimportant material and then crush finale of all story threads in a few hours.
Spoiler
Seeing Danny destroying 'Dubrovnik' felt strange. I always wondered how it would feel to see your city destroyed on screen like that and now I know.
Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:17 by sandelic

Sneaky Pete season 3, such a let down , started off promising then turned into a mild, boring crime caper the likes of which we haven't seen since Cagney & Lacey circa 1982-85 (the older forum members will know).
Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 07:47 by Fine Time
" Everybody  jumpin out of their mind  "

Quote from: Ben_j on May 16, 2019, 21:33

GoT is getting worse every week. I'm not expecting anything for the last episode...

I've signed this petition https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

And where did you see The Dead Don't Die? It's not running in german cinemas until june 13
Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:58 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

Ghosts on BBC3/iplayer is by the same lot who do Horrible Histories but is actually surprisingly hilarious.

Quote from: ThePumisher on May 17, 2019, 10:53

I've signed this petition https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

And where did you see The Dead Don't Die? It's not running in german cinemas until june 13
It was out this week in France. It was opening the Cannes Film Festival

Game of Thrones finale

Spoiler
"Why do you think I came all this way?"

What?

Total trash. The Night King should have killed them all.
I hope this goes down as the worst TV show finale of all time. Heck, even Lost had a better ending.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on May 21, 2019, 19:16

Spoiler
I hope this goes down as the worst TV show finale of all time. Heck, even Lost had a better ending.

Sorry, but this achievement goes to Sopranos
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on May 21, 2019, 22:24

Sorry, but this achievement goes to Sopranos

Nope, Dexter wins top honors here. He goes full lumberjack, for fuck's sake!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: whirlygirl on May 22, 2019, 00:29

Nope, Dexter wins top honors here. He goes full lumberjack, for fuck's sake!

I actually didn't mind the ending.  It was the shitshow of an 8th season to get there that pissed me off.