For That Beautiful Feeling

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Saw Once upon a time in Hollywood an hour ago:
Since I live in a community mostly composed of elderly folk, I was extremely surprise to see a full house and be a part of a happy audience at the end.

To be honest I came in with low expectations, even though it was Quentin Tarentino in the directors chair again. but to be honest, I don't understand why I did because the movie knocked it right out of the ball park.
Spoiler

Spoiler

(Not sure if this is a spoiler but just in case:) Our theater mustve gotten a different copy of the movie because I was hoping to see the Infamous "Our Feature Presentation" Clip at the beginning, but nothing, it just cut to the SONY/Columbia Logo. I did feel better though when Cliff was going to his trailer on the property of a Drive In Theater, the song was playing on the screen (though it was more Orcestra instrumental instead of the classic Funkadelic version)

My favorite MoTD actor Michael Madsen makes a cameo in a "Bounty Law" Sequence

The Studio scenes were very well crafted, the scene where DiCaprio's Character kept messing up his script was well shot in a continuous shot for a good 5/7 minutes.

The scenes where it would show the characters in the movies they played were briliant, they used a greenscreen and edited them into the movies they were in like they were really there, (IE Marggot Robbie as Sharron tate in the movie theater, and DiCaprio in the War movie (i can't remember the names of those movies even if I had a gun to my head)).

The movie had a big Uplifting vibe up until the final 27 minutes (the best part), not counting the little intense moments here and there (like the ranch scene).

everyone went ooh when manson showed up looking for Brian Wilson (or was it his brother) that day.

Don't slash Rick Dalton's Tires when Cliff Booth is Around. Just don't slash tires in general.

Quentin Tarentino pulled an Inglorious Bastards again and made it a what if universe where Manson's cult never killed Sharon Tate, and instead tried to kill off Rick Dalton & his stunt double Cliff Booth.
As big smoke would say:

and with that we reach the standard tarentino Violence.

They couldn't even Kill Cliff Booth while he was high on LSD. Pathetic

I started laughing when the audience did the cringe OOH when he was smashing the redhead's head into the Telephone, Then the Desk, then the Movie Poster, then the Fireplace, and finally the Record Player. Does that make me a sadistic person.

Then after the pitbull fetched the black hair's soul and she runs into the back yard, everyone started cheering when Rick Dalton Pulled out the flamethrower from the shed.

And with that out of the way, after Cliff gets rescued by paramedics, they single handedly saved the Golden Era of Hollywood, when the police and Medics take the bodies away, Jay Sebring and an unharmed Sharon tate finaly meet as neighbors.

The Pitbull lives ;D
I dont give a damn about people hating the ending, I loved this movie.

I counted 7 Tarentino Closeup Foot Scenes.
Last Edit: Jul 28, 2019, 08:02 by Conn6orsuper117
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

The Lion King was okay. Very very beautiful, but man, there are zero emotions on the faces of the character. Without knowing the original movie, I could never tell if one character was happy, nervous, sad, disappointed, angry...
Also, do we have to have Key and Peele in every Disney animated movies now? Seth Rogen was born to play Pumbaa though, great choice

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Jul 28, 2019, 03:35

Saw Once upon a time in Hollywood an hour ago:
Since I live in a community mostly composed of elderly folk, I was extremely surprise to see a full house and be a part of a happy audience at the end.

To be honest I came in with low expectations, even though it was Quentin Tarentino in the directors chair again. but to be honest, I don't understand why I did because the movie knocked it right out of the ball park.

I'm exited for this one! I'm gonna see it sometime this week, but in 70mm! (sorry Sandelic!). It's a limited engagement and only 5 theatres in the America are showing it in this format.

Have to wait a little longer for Once upon a time in Hollywood but it will be in 70mm film in one of our heritage theatres for a film festival.

Also watching Euphoria, its quite 'HBO' something it seems only they get away with and do it in a way thats interesting given the directors background and the authenticity of the actors. it makes 13 reasons why look like a Disney film in the way that deals with storytelling about teens today and what they get up to from different backgrounds. Surprised and also impressed Drake was helping this production out being listed as an EP. Its confronting for some but if you're into arthouse/indie films that deal with this subject in the past, it won't offend you too much. Glad its getting a second season.

The Loudest Voice is also not bad given its based on a true story. Also watched the Netflix documentary The Great Hack which seemed fitting to watch in between that series. Our digital imprint is more valuable now than oil? f*ck.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

I loved One Upon A Time In Hollywood. Quentin Tarantino movies are always so much fun to see in a theater. Half the fun of seeing with a crowd is experiencing the audience reactions  ;D

Spoiler
Oh, and watching nazis get roasted by a flame thrower is oh so very satisfying!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I just found out the film was mostly shot in 35mm and smaller. So while there is 70mm prints which are being circulated it's not a true 70mm shot film. It's a 35mm filmed movie where they take the negatives and augment the aspect ratio (blown up) to fit a 70mm film reel. So while it's still the highest quality print available, it's still not true 70mm.

And I did see the movie last night. I don't think it's one of Tarantino's best, but there is a lot to like. Apart from some synchronized crowd response throughout the film, I feel like this film will be better to digest at home.

I would rather sing the praise of what is being an overlooked Coen Brothers film in "Ballad of Buster Scruggs" or another Hollywood type satire in "Under the Silver Lake".

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, thanks for using the spoiler tags as the film isn't out in some territories (e.g. mine) for at least another couple of weeks. Relieved to see positive comments though. Didn't Tarantino say this would be his last film but...now he's attached to a Star Trek project?

Quote from: MIKL on Jul 30, 2019, 12:38

Also watched the Netflix documentary The Great Hack which seemed fitting to watch in between that series. Our digital imprint is more valuable now than oil? f*ck.
The Great Hack needs to be seen by an audience beyond Netflix viewers. It shows how data that we all supply by interacting on FB etc can be used as a sort of weapon - Knowledge is power.
Some of the reviews on IMDB are dismissing it as "leftist propaganda". Funnily enough a lot of those reviews are dated last week, around the same time that it was announced that Facebook would pay an unprecedented $5 billion penalty over privacy breaches. Is this fine propaganda too? I don't think so. I do however acccept the point that Obama was the first to start using data to his advantage, whilst the film concentrates on the Trump campaign and the Brexit campaign (Nigel Farage's UKIP party). It will leave you questioning whether either of these more recent campaigns were fought fairly.

Considering A UK company - Cambridge Analytica was involved,and so was the Brexit campagn, this really should have made the front pages of the UK press. Unfortunately it clashed with Boris Johnson being named as the new Prime Minister (he's a dangerous buffoon!). Frustrating. The CNN article I linked to doesn't quite get everything right though. It talks about the "inadvertent exposure of up to 87 million users' information to the political analysis firm Cambridge Analytica". But it wasn't inadvertent. We have found out in the past few days that the information was SOLD to Cambridge Analytica.
https://twitter.com/CommonsCMS/status/1154340242310213633

It's not a dry film though. By concentrating on characters like Brittany Kaiser who defected from Obama's camp (where she worked for free) to Cambridge Aanalytica/Trump (for pay), and Prof David Carroll - an American who decided to ask Cambridge Analytica what data they held about him, and of course British reporter Carole Cadwalladr who has been digging around in this from the start when people were calling her crazy. It keeps things human and easy to engage with. The film has leaked so if you don't want to pay Netflix, it's on some free android film apps or if you like downloading things search
Spoiler
The.Great.Hack.2019.1080p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTG

I swear I wasn't involved in making this thing, I just think people need to see it!

IT'S MORNING TIME!

This is the zeitgeist of the Information Age. I'm not above it, I fear it all the time. And as time goes by it is normalized more and more.

Does this program propose a solution to rollback the damage? Regulation is bullshit, because there's always going to be loop holes and not all countries/leaders has the same morality towards privacy.

...and the irony of a film convincing the viewer to take concern of digital privacy, meanwhile leaving a digital trail to watching this film

It was interesting getting both perspectives of Brittany and that design school professor. I get where Brittany was coming from in regards to her life situation with responsibilities and how things in your career don't pan out the way you'd hoped but now she's come full circle. i suppose she has a sense of guilt maybe as well. I wished there was or will be a follow up documentary. It was quite blatantly pointed out what happened with these elections with what the traditional media were speculating from what you could tell right from wrong.

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 31, 2019, 00:26

Does this program propose a solution to rollback the damage? Regulation is bullshit, because there's always going to be loop holes and not all countries/leaders has the same morality towards privacy.
There are no easy answers, and in some parts of the world it has been known that elections have been fixed for quite some time. I guess we could stick our heads in the sand and say: "Nothing we can do", but awareness is a good thing, I think. If people know that they get targeted or if they know about things like Trinidad's Do So campaign (in short,"Do So" was a series of social media mesages advising young people NOT to vote on election day. Many of the young black population did indeed not vote, whilst the young Indian population voted because they did what their parents told them - as they usually do. The Indian party won the election).
There's a news story in the UK today: Hundreds abused by predatory carers. I threw my hands up and said "how do we stop this?". It's illegal but it keeps happening. I suppose we could just ignore it and say: nothing we can do. But is that really the way forward?

Cetainly computing/technology is a threat to humankind going forward. They say that 47% of jobs will vanish in the next 25 years. Because the machines will take over! Perhaps it's just a matter of time before we're looking for a real life Sarah Connor to save us. Oh and much of the jobs that Trump clawed back from Mexico were jobs that had been moved there as a sort of final stop before being taken over by mechaisation. So it's a short term populist move by Trump. I wonder how Capitalism will continue to work if large chunks of the population don't have jobs?
Well I've gone on a ramble now, but I personally think it's better to know than not to know. But I'm sure some people would prefer to go for this approach:

Quote from: Bosco on Jul 31, 2019, 00:30

...and the irony of a film convincing the viewer to take concern of digital privacy, meanwhile leaving a digital trail to watching this film
Well i guess the same is true when you watch Stranger Things. It's not against the law. I thnk it may just be a case of awareness - that you could receive targetted messages based on your preferences. But hey, maybe a Terminator will read my post in 20 years from now and come for me because I'm not compliant enough...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Everybody In The Place - An Incomplete History of Britain 1984 -1992 by Jeremy Deller
(Can everyone see this video or is it restricted in some countries?).
You may have seen Ed mention this on his Instagram.

TBH, I have some issues with this:
1) Deller tries to make Rave a subject for intellectual study. Hmm...
2) Marxism? Nah, DIY-meets-technology-meets-drugs maybe. Outlaw Capitalism perhaps.
3) Speaking of drugs, they barely got a mention. I don't remember Deller saying the word Ecstacy once. I guess it's tricky when you present this at a school.
4) The Miners' strike: Well the miners were mostly up north but rave took place in the south of England too. For instance the much-mentioned M25 "orbital" raves around the outside of London, which T&E both seperately went to prior to attending Manchester University.

The Blackburn Raves bit was worth a mention though; T&E went to those too during their Manchester years. I didn't realise that those Blackburn events tended to be held in dis-used factories. So perhaps there was sort of a point to be made there - how culture was changing and factories were being used for new (if not sanctioned) purposes.

It's worth a watch for the old footage though - and to watch the students faces. They seemed to be bemused at times, and at other times they seemed to be genuinely enjoying it. Oh also the American foootage of people dancing to Kraftwerks Numbers (Krafty Numbers) is worth a watch in particular.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 30, 2019, 14:11

I loved One Upon A Time In Hollywood. Quentin Tarantino movies are always so much fun to see in a theater. Half the fun of seeing with a crowd is experiencing the audience reactions  ;D

Spoiler
Oh, and watching nazis get roasted by a flame thrower is oh so very satisfying!

I really liked this movie! There was a sort of immersion for me with the nostalgic landmarks and history, but of course, the behind the scenes within the movie, the dialogue ( but not super-crazy long dialogue thank God!), and the acting set the tone for a late 60's Hollywood.
Spoiler
I enjoyed Rick Daltons character who is somewhat on the edge of losing his place in Hollywood and struggling to maintain his acting on set. And Cliff Booth,a stunt double, has somewhat a freedom to his content character, but takes up a chauffeur job to get Rick from one place or another, but lives in a trailer next to a drive in theater to show the lifestyle difference between him and Rick. Then you have Sharon Tate, with a few films under her belt, blends in with the holywood version of paint-the-numbers by getting a free ticket (and her suttle boasting) to her own movie, a party at the Playboy mansion, and actually living next door to Rick Dalton with a baby on the way.

I thoroughly enjoyed OUATIH from beginning to end! Never found a dull moment in the film or anything that really slowed it down. I actually think it was better than his last two films imo.

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Really enjoyed The Boys on Amazon Prime. I wasn't aware of the comic book beforehand but thoroughly enjoyed the premise. I thought Homelander was excellently portrayed too. I would recommend for anyone who is a fan of super heroes but is maybe reaching the fatigue point with all of the goody goody, colourful offerings out there.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 12, 2019, 23:46

Really enjoyed The Boys on Amazon Prime. I wasn't aware of the comic book beforehand but thoroughly enjoyed the premise. I thought Homelander was excellently portrayed too. I would recommend for anyone who is a fan of super heroes but is maybe reaching the fatigue point with all of the goody goody, colourful offerings out there.

Is this similar to Watchmen? (anti heros etc.) I'm intrigued by the series btw from HBO, see how that goes.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 12, 2019, 23:46

Baby laser ftw  ;D
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: MIKL on Aug 13, 2019, 07:19

Is this similar to Watchmen? (anti heros etc.) I'm intrigued by the series btw from HBO, see how that goes.

I guess there's a kind of similar vibe? It seems more down to earth though (as much as a superhero show can be) with lots of very nicely written political, class narratives that hit nicely throughout.
It's pretty funny too (see Sandelic's comment above). Lots of very dry humour throughout and a top performance from Mr Karl Urban.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Finally got to see Once upon a time in hollywood. I thought how it finished was appropriate to what the title of the movie suggests and he always knows how to do a satisfying fighting scene.

The crowd was also laughing at scenes where in real life we shouldn't be either I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I enjoyed The Boys, it's funny with really, really creepy villain, that came across as total psychopath in show that doesn't take itself too seriously.   
I've already mentioned baby laser, well, here it is, and it's hilarious.
Oh, and Karl Urban was great in it.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!