Love Is All

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
Speaking of The Master, did you by any chance came across this channel on YT, Bosco?
It's a treasure trove of information about how Kubrick filmed his masterpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNyCluIRhA&list=PLGciYgiR4atGcBOIuOmLQBXUj692TV6R0

Recommended for every fan of his work.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: Enjoyed on Oct 30, 2021, 17:59

Spoiler
You know. I completely believe that to be true. His father grew flowers for poison for Spectre, so the whole garden, and ultimately the setting for the finale certainly makes much more sense with a virus. The scientists at the beginning are also talking about ebola and petri dishes. Not nano-technology. Definitely would be interesting to see a cut with the original premise, but I think the rest was brought together well enough for it not to have suffered that much.
Fortunately, I've developed a phenomenal suspension of disbelief when it comes to Bond movies. I'm literally along for the ride. So nano-bots? DNA-targeting virus? bionic eye? I'll take whatever you have. I'm completely in.

I may have to withdraw my theory.
Spoiler
Now that NTTD has emerged unexpectedly early on the internet/streaming, I've had a quick look, and we do actually see the word Nanobots being spoken. More than once. Also I found this Ladbible article which addresses the theory and kinda dismisses it. Shame, as I hoped there was a "directors cut" which would explain Safin's ability to not die when shot, and which would have made more sense out of the "farm" aspect of Safin's lair. Maybe not...

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 30, 2021, 19:55

'Bone Tomahawk'- Non-traditional horror; more-so, western gore fest. Probably not a great watch for your better half, but unless she can stomach some extremely gruesome scenes, I think you'll appreciate it as Bone-Chilling flick (see what I did there!). Richard Jenkins = The best.
This is a good shout. Not really a Hallowen-y type of horror, but worth flagging up anyway (it's not Halloween anymore!). I'm not a big Western fan, so had never bothered with Bone Tomahawk until a friend recommended it. It's kinda like a gory Horror that happens to take place in a Western setting. But it's not really a Western.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 11, 2021, 18:56

This is a good shout. Not really a Hallowen-y type of horror, but worth flagging up anyway (it's not Halloween anymore!). I'm not a big Western fan, so had never bothered with Bone Tomahawk until a friend recommended it. It's kinda like a gory Horror that happens to take place in a Western setting. But it's not really a Western.

Would adventure/terror be a good way to widdle it down? I too, find it inappropriately labeled western/horror, and agree it just so happens to take place in a western setting.

Also, I'm probably overselling the "gore fest" part, upon further recollection. Don't get me wrong there is a downright brutality in this film, but maybe not so much widely over the film as I originally may have lead on.

Any way, while I totally recommend the film, it took some key scenes to elevate it past some noticeable discounted production. Not bad for a directorial debut, though!

Now go check out 'Turbo Kid' for a fun, funny, violent/gory, quirky romance, sci-fi. They utilize that sweet Paul Verhoeven-esk camp all within an ultra low-budget. Michael Ironside (Verhoeven alumni) is in the film, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie with him in it, that I haven't been entertained. As a bonus, the soundtrack is really solid.

Turbo Kid trailer:
Spoiler

Quote from: sandelic on Nov 11, 2021, 13:53

Speaking of The Master, did you by any chance came across this channel on YT, Bosco?
It's a treasure trove of information about how Kubrick filmed his masterpieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgNyCluIRhA&list=PLGciYgiR4atGcBOIuOmLQBXUj692TV6R0

Recommended for every fan of his work.

I have seen, but thanks for recommending it. I'm gonna go through it again!

It's simply amazing how the "dawn of man" was fully done in studio (except the bone toss).

I've finally started to watch the "What we do in the shadows" series and oh my god it is so great (two episodes in, I hope they can keep this up  ;))

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 14, 2021, 20:11

I've finally started to watch the "What we do in the shadows" series and oh my god it is so great (two episodes in, I hope they can keep this up  ;))

Is it as good as the movie? The movie made me actually laugh and it's a rarity in today's comedies
My humour shaped watching movies like "Naked Gun", "Airplane", "Hot Shots" or Jim Carrey comedies.
These days can't even find a good comedy, but "What we do in the shadows" was one of the best lately.
"Other guys' was also good on a similar note.
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

I've seen the movie years ago and really enjoyed it, I'd say(judging from the first two episodes) that the series is even better.

Now this is quite surreal documentary.
Even David Lynch is involved.
Cannot say I really liked it, but it makes for a interesting viewing.

Quote from: sandelic on Nov 19, 2021, 18:03

Now this is quite surreal documentary.
Even David Lynch is involved.
Cannot say I really liked it, but it makes for a interesting viewing.

probably not gonna have a lot of people interested in stomaching an hour+ of Moby self indulgence, me included. Does Lynch have anything interesting to say?

Speaking of Lynch, I'm gonna finally take on Season 3 of Twin Peaks... soon. I've been sitting on my 'Twin Peaks Z to A' box set and waiting for the cold months to take over, and well, the time has come. To set the mood, I'm gonna be sure to pick up a dozen donuts and make sure there is no fish in the percolator and brew some "damn fine" coffee.

Also, I guess I should add, I took on the original 'Dune'... Not Good. Ambitious, and certainly interesting concepts. I'm eager to see what Villeneuve did to make this more approachable.

Sandelic, go watch the Val Kilmer documentary, if you're on autobiography-type celeb documentary binge.

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 20, 2021, 08:29
Does Lynch have anything interesting to say?
Not really. He commented briefly on fact Moby used sample from Twin Peaks theme for Go and on grief in his usual cryptic style.
I don't care much about celeb documentaries, if they are not about Nick Cave.  ;D
I was bored and Moby Doc came up.

Good luck with Twin Peaks season 3. You do know what you're getting yourself into?
And right time to enjoy Dune 1984 is about 1984 or when you're 10 years old   :))
Can't wait to hear what you think about Villeneuve's Dune.

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 20, 2021, 08:29

probably not gonna have a lot of people interested in stomaching an hour+ of Moby self indulgence, me included. Does Lynch have anything interesting to say?

Speaking of Lynch, I'm gonna finally take on Season 3 of Twin Peaks... soon. I've been sitting on my 'Twin Peaks Z to A' box set and waiting for the cold months to take over, and well, the time has come. To set the mood, I'm gonna be sure to pick up a dozen donuts and make sure there is no fish in the percolator and brew some "damn fine" coffee.

***SPOILER ALERT***

RedLetterMedia Review

Do not watch the above until you've seen the entire season 3 of Twin Peaks--there are explicit storylines explained.

I thought that was one of the best reviews I've seen generally; it's certainly worth watching.

I'm a huge David Lynch fan, and I certainly enjoyed the ride. With that said, I've found David Lynch's cinematic moments to generally fall into two categories: inexplicably profound, and unfortunately enduring. The latter turns most people away from his work, while the former keeps his fans rabid.

Oh, I suppose David Lynch also successfully creates comedic moments from time to time, too. Unfortunately for the jokes that don't hit, we're in that latter category above...

Quote from: sandelic on Nov 20, 2021, 11:59

Not really. He commented briefly on fact Moby used sample from Twin Peaks theme for Go and on grief in his usual cryptic style.
I don't care much about celeb documentaries, if they are not about Nick Cave.  ;D
I was bored and Moby Doc came up.

Haha, well I do recommend it if you should pass by it some time. I'm not a Val Kilmer fan, but the guy has a passion and it comes through really well in his documentary.

Quote from: MadPooter on Nov 20, 2021, 14:37

***SPOILER ALERT***

RedLetterMedia Review

Do not watch the above until you've seen the entire season 3 of Twin Peaks--there are explicit storylines explained.

I thought that was one of the best reviews I've seen generally; it's certainly worth watching.

I'm a huge David Lynch fan, and I certainly enjoyed the ride. With that said, I've found David Lynch's cinematic moments to generally fall into two categories: inexplicably profound, and unfortunately enduring. The latter turns most people away from his work, while the former keeps his fans rabid.

Oh, I suppose David Lynch also successfully creates comedic moments from time to time, too. Unfortunately for the jokes that don't hit, we're in that latter category above...

I love Red Letter Media. I came for the astute reviews on movies, but stayed for their 'BEST OF THE WORST' segments. My favorite channel on YouTube!

Regarding their dissections on movies and shows, I have total respect for their critiques. The only part where I separate, they tend to focus on the structure and production of films a little too much. I get the impression they haven't been swept up by movie magic in quite some time. But I suppose that's what you get from the mind of aspiring film makers and hardcore Hollywood cynics.

Anyways... yeah, I'll take in there review once I've watched it. Josh and Jay are awesome when it comes to obscure and challenging material.

Peter Jackson saved Thanksgiving, Love is all. 

Saw "The Sparks Brothers" on Friday at a film festival.

Absolutely wonderful. Funny, interesting and stylish as all hell.

Total recommendation.
You were always such a free spirit
Who came and went so much
A will-o'-the-wisp and charming with it
I'm still longing for your touch

Just finished the last episode of Shameless (US). Damn you Covid...
no idea, no idea

I'm just back from seeing Batman Returns at the cinema. It's probably my favourite movie (and definitely both my favourite Batman and Tim Burton movie). Since I was 6 when it released, this is the first time I see it on the big screen, it was so good ❤️

Saw Spider-Man No Way Home on Sunday. Best nostalgia trip!!! Thats all i can say without spoilers.
Definitely seeing it again but this time with friends instead of family.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Yeah that was fun. Superhero Movies and the whole Marvel franchise definitely work best when they don't take themselves too seriously.