1-2-3-4-5-6 Base!

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
I saw it a while ago but was venturing around America and didn't get a chance to talk about it.

Steve Jobs.
The Aaron Sorkin written, Danny Boyle directed experience.

I went into it with high(ish) hopes, being a HUGE Sorkin fan. I had heard that it was a lot of talking and dialogue and didn't really contain much else, but that's what I wanted. And I was not disappointed.
It is essentially a sequel to (my favourite movie) The Social Network, in that it plays out in a very similar way. You are shown the character of Steve Jobs and rather than pandering to the Apple fan club like that other Jobs movie, Sorkin just writes the facts into a beautifully endless series of sharp conversations. You are left to decide yourself what you think of Steve at the end.
The whole movie is also centred around the relationship with his daughter, which is what really stood out for me. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was sheltering my teary face from the other 6 people in the theatre by the time the credits came. A really beautifully told story that didn't need any action. Because, just like every other piece of film or TV that Sorkin lends his hand to, the dialogue really is enough.

Another criticism I heard before was that it didn't feel enough like a Danny Boyle movie. This is kind of true. A lot of it looks like it could have been directed by anyone (unlike Social Network, which clearly is super Finchery) but there are moments, little nuggets of Danny Boyle magic, that remind you why this team up was such a blessing.

Overall it's a 9/10 from me.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I'm really excited about that ! Although the actual affiliation of this movie to Cloverfield is not clear... Some reports say that they added the Cloverfield tie after the movie was finished, reshooting some scenes to do so, while other reports say this was well kept under wraps, with some of the writers using a pseudonym to keep their involvement a secret...
I'm rooting for the latter, because when JJ Abrams is involved, there are always big mysteries, clues and leads to follow. Remember the huge ARG they did for Cloverfield ? With fake companies websites, ads in Alias, etc... If this is linked to Cloverfield, then I have no doubt they have the same kind of stuff going on. They even might have been as far as creating a soda company (Swamp Pop), and actually selling it ! It's kind of a stretch, but it's not impossible

The Revenant

Not a bad movie, but I don't see any of the twelve Oscars he's nominated for.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 03, 2016, 12:31

The Revenant

Not a bad movie, but I don't see any of the twelve Oscars he's nominated for.

Saw it last night. Powerful stuff. Perhaps a little slow in places, but worth a watch if you like the more serious end of Hollywood.
I haven't checked what categories it's been nominated in, but the film looked stunning and can't have been an easy shoot for either cast or crew.
Spoiler
Also I thought the early battle scene and the bear scenes were really well done.  Was that a 'tame' bear that Leo was doing fight scenes with? It didn't all look like stunt double stuff.  Maybe I need to read up on how they did it.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Feb 03, 2016, 14:14

Saw it last night. Powerful stuff. Perhaps a little slow in places, but worth a watch if you like the more serious end of Hollywood.
Spoiler
Come on. The Story is told in 2, maybe 3 sentences. Camera is the small version of what Alejandro Iñárritu did in Birdman. Leo does about 75% lie on the stretcher or crawling on the floor and saying nothing. The bear scene indeed does look gorgeous (and for your question, i think it is an animated bear).
I'm not saying this is a bad movie, i had my two and a half hours of entertainment, but i don't see a single oscar he's nominated for - or there isn't a huge selection of other oscar worth movies.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 05, 2015, 00:08

Really hyped for The Expanse. Based on an excellent book series and being done by SyFy who are putting more money and effort into the show than any show they've done in history. The set designs look incredible:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/3ec36473-16ce-4676-bdbb-9f2ee9d1f2cc

Comes out late this year.
Hm, I've watched the first three episodes. While the design is great, I've found the characters quite dull. Not a single one who I care for or resonate with. Consequently, I'm not that interested in how the plot progresses and stopped watching. I will eventually start reading the books, though.

Quote from: Stefan on Feb 06, 2016, 18:58

Hm, I've watched the first three episodes. While the design is great, I've found the characters quite dull. Not a single one who I care for or resonate with. Consequently, I'm not that interested in how the plot progresses and stopped watching. I will eventually start reading the books, though.
Keep watching, there's great stuff coming up. It wasn't until the fourth episode that people really started raving about the series. The characters also get a lot more interesting further in, they start stereotypical but get more nuanced towards the latter half of the season.

I will admit the show is much more enjoyable when you've read the books - seeing the world come to life is satisfying and you already like/know the characters and story. Plus the story has a healthy deviation from the books to keep readers on their toes. I can imagine why people who haven't read the books yet would be disconnected.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: Stefan on Feb 06, 2016, 18:58

Update: Having just watched the season finale... finish the season. Seriously. Just finish the season.
Never for money, always for love.

I started watching Lucifer, three episodes so far, and it's a nice change from usual dark stuff I watched lately, like True Detective (season 1) which is one of the best series I've ever seen, photography, lighting, acting, dialogues (that stinks of Nietzsche's  nihilism by a mile, something quite unbelievable for mainstream series) I can't praise enough.
Started season two, but can't, for some reason, get into it like I did with previous season.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Finally started hunkering down on Breaking Bad.  I just finished the "Better Call Saul" episode in season 2.

Last night's Walking Dead made me realize that maybe Lori isn't the worst mom ever after all...

Making a Murderer series on Netflix

What a clusterfuck of injustice. I cannot determine if Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey are innocent ( I lean yes), but there is so many gaping holes, corruption, and such little evidence in these cases, that I fail to understand how either person could go to jail for life, even if they were truly guilty.

Going to watch Hail Caesar Csar in about two hours
no idea, no idea

^ not out here til 4th of March so...shhh.  :-X
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 25, 2016, 16:44

Going to watch Hail Caesar Csar in about two hours
Harhar, I see what you did there! :p
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Skyscraper on Feb 25, 2016, 16:50

^ not out here til 4th of March so...shhh.  :-X
Don't expect too much from it. Not the best work from the Coen brothers. It's an ok watch, but not more.
no idea, no idea

deadpool >:D
its aiite i like my superheros a bit serious

Controversial. (And...Spoilers, kinda sorta)
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Just watched the first episode of Fuller House. I think the right word is "appalling"

Ahaha

I also recently watched the first episode. Though it was not my thing, I could totally see Full House fans liking it. DJ Tanner (the disc jockey one) probably broke up Jack U to stay behind and take care of DJ Tanner (the non disc jockey one) and her children.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: androidgeoff on Mar 01, 2016, 21:48

Ahaha

I also recently watched the first episode. Though it was not my thing, I could totally see Full House fans liking it. DJ Tanner (the disc jockey one) probably broke up Jack U to stay behind and take care of DJ Tanner (the non disc jockey one) and her children.

What I hated the most was those expositional conversations.

"So, you're directing this new show on that big national TV ?"
"At least my husband died doing what he liked most : saving lives and fighting fire"
etc...