Hey Girl

Movies/Shows you're watching.

Started by chemreact, Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

Previous topic - Next topic
 I need a new obsession now that Game of Thrones's season is over but here is the thing, no other show comes close to the brilliance of GoT.

I started watching Zoo last week. It's terrible. But I love it. It's basically The Happening but with animals instead of plants.

True Detective is pretty great though. Season 2 is not as good as season 1 so far but it's got a great tone and an interesting way of developing the narrative.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

True Detective season 1 is truly an awesome series. The pace is slower then most shows, but what a creepy masterpiece.

As for Movies... do yourself a favor and get out to Mad Max Fury Road if you haven't already and or, still can.

I know GoT is over... Now we have to wait another year and all that we have to tide us over is the random times the GoT theme song gets stuck in our heads!  :P

I loved True Detective. I'm on season 2. It has some huge shoes to fill following in the footsteps of season 1. A little convoluted and heavy paced but I'm hooked all over again.

I'm not one for reality television but there's this show called Naked and Afraid. I first heard about it over a year ago... We don't have cable TV and when my husband was in the hospital for a few days, id go visit with him and we'd channel surf and zone out watching tv (I mean, what else is there to do, lol) Anyway, saw an ad for Naked and Afraid and thought, "oh that looks so awkwardly hilarious! We have to see it!" It turns out it's freakin brutal.  They take a man and a woman (not related), dump them in the middle of the Costa Rican jungle or the Serengeti with a shoulder bag and one 'essential.' The nudity becomes secondary, you don't notice it until these poor fools are eaten alive by Mosquitos, or tearing  up the bottoms of their bare feet. Anyway, it's got a bit of a cheese factor and it's not Survivorman, but it's highly entertaining.

And I loved Mad Max a lot more than I expected. The Doof Warrior stole the show!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Some shows that i watched in the past years and which i really enjoyed:

• Misfits (only season one and two, season three onwards isn't that good)
  • Breaking Bad
  • Better Call Saul
  • Game Of Thrones
  • Lillyhammer
  • Hellfjord
  • The Wrong Mans
  • Homeland (haven't seen season four yet)
  • Top Of The Lake
  • Shameless (the US-version, haven't seen anything from the UK original)
  • Xanadu
  • Sherlock
  • Der Tatortreiniger (don't think this show is translated into any other language)
no idea, no idea

I recently started to watch Black Mirror, and man, that's some dark sci fi thriller, it's kinda scary sometimes. Also watching continuum, great sci fi show IMO.

I want to start watching Doctor Who (2005 till now), never saw it in my life. Everybody keeps saying it's a great adventure show and quite entertaining.

About movies, I watched recently Ex-machina, awesome piece of work and Re-watched Mad Max again (to me, still best movie of 2015)

Quote from: chemreact on Jul 09, 2015, 18:52

I need a new obsession now that Game of Thrones's season is over but here is the thing, no other show comes close to the brilliance of GoT.

Why don't you read the books. Love GOT but a lot of season 5 was weak

I watch A LOT of movies (like a stack a week) but I haven't taken the time to get into a show for ages. Last thing I watched all the way through was Coyboy Bebop sometime last year. If I were to recommend a film, I might as well recommend anything good, cause I can't think of anything that would specifically fill the need for GoT. So... maybe go watch Lawrence of Arabia? It's fantastic and I saw it for the second time a week ago, so it was the first thing that popped into my head. I suppose for something slightly GoT related, you could just watch a bunch of films where Sean Bean dies! That's always fun! Who doesn't love Lord of the Rings?
The devil is in the details

Quote from: Bendy1001 on Jul 10, 2015, 19:21

I suppose for something slightly GoT related, you could just watch a bunch of films where Sean Bean dies! That's always fun! Who doesn't love Lord of the Rings?

Haha, that was laugh out loud funny!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

We just finished Sens8 (S1) on Netflix. It was good, but atypical. I don't want to give anything away, but the concept is somewhat cerebrial sci-fi and somewhat romance comedy drama. It started slow, but by the end, the viewer is fully immersed and informed. Its strength was showing LGBT characters as characters (and not simply plot devices).  Its weakness was lack of satisfying resolution in the last episode.

For perspective, most of my current  viewing habits are pretty geeky: Daredevil, Flash, Arrow, Wayward Pines, TMNT, Sherlock when it comes on, and Doctor Who. My opinion of Daredevil being the strongest, while Doctor Who is barely tolerable while Capaldi is given the back seat.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Flash is just great. Exactly what I wanted from a superhero TV show.

Arrow got too soapy in the last season. This person was angry at this person because they had to keep a secret from this person. But then this person didn't understand why this person didn't talk to this person before doing this thing, which was ultimately to protect this person but that other person didn't understand that and now EVERYONE IS MOODY.

Felicity Smoak though...

I agree on both Flash and Arrow. I liked season 2 of Arrow best, but will keep watching due to CW's full universe.

If you like the genre, Daredevil is a must see. Gritty and dark for Daredevil, just like Flash is fun.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: satur8 on Jul 13, 2015, 22:54

If you like the genre, Daredevil is a must see. Gritty and dark for Daredevil, just like Flash is fun.

Yeah. Daredevil was excellent. One of the best fleshed out villains in Kingpin. And a whole episode where Matt Murdock is just recovering from a fight. Top series.

Watched Men & Chicken the other day. If you like Flickering Lights or Adam's Apples, you will also like this movie. Same director/writer, same humor - but with the most crazy ending i have seen in awhile...

no idea, no idea

Started to watch Twin Peaks and The X-Files again... so timeless.

I wonder if we're all waiting for someone else to open up a new "oh my god that's the funny shit" thread? The first post on that thread has to be really funny right? I nearly did it for this. But I didn't. Haven't seen this film yet but I thought the trailer looked like fun. Now I'm not so sure.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

^That was hilarious.

I thought Ant-Man far surpassed the reviews.

And there are two great music moments in the film. One involves a DJ, the other...Plainsong!!!

On a movie-related and electronic-music-related note, I've been listening to the soundtrack for The Social Network lately, and I seriously suggest anyone not put off by ambience check it out. It's probably the best soundtrack I've ever heard (yes, even including Hanna)
The devil is in the details

I don't have time for TV shows, but I watch Suits , for music only
Don't know who is choosing music in that show, but that someone has a good taste
I discovered Gloria Lynne on that show, among others
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!