Listen to Your Heart

Listening Party in London

Started by Enjoyed, Mar 21, 2019, 18:13

Previous topic - Next topic
Just got an email from the Brothers. Apparently they're going to be hosting a "Pre Release Album Playback Event" in London on Thursday of NEXT WEEK, with a limited number of tickets available for fans.

Pre-ordering the album from the official store (in the UK only, I'm assuming) before Monday will enter you into a chance to win 1 of 10 pairs of tickets. It would be awesome if there was some Forum representation there!

Get involved UK* folks!

*Probably more likely to be London folks. I wouldn't travel to the city if I lived more than an hour away.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

How effing cool is that?! Hanging out with the brothers at a pre-listening soirée. The mental picture I get with this is some folks slouching on sofas while Tom and Ed occasionally get up to turn the record sides A thru D.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

No Guarantee that T&E will be there. But it certainly sounds awesome.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I'd be cool if they had it at the social or somewhere significant for you guys.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Can't wait til I get a job with enough income to say "BRB, getting tickets to London for next week"
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Mar 22, 2019, 06:07
Can't wait til I get a job with enough income to say "BRB, getting tickets to London for next week"
Right?!

I hate to smash your dreams, but once you have such an income, you will lack the time to fly to London spontaneously.

The dream: remote-work web design and development. Can work from anywhere as long as I've got a working laptop!

Oh, I wasn't thinking about that. All the best for achieving your dreams one day!

Right???

Same here! Winning lotto works, too
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

"BRB, getting tickets to London for next week"
block rockin beats, getting tickets to london for next week
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 21, 2019, 18:13

Just got an email from the Brothers. Apparently they're going to be hosting a "Pre Release Album Playback Event" in London on Thursday of NEXT WEEK, with a limited number of tickets available for fans.

Pre-ordering the album from the official store (in the UK only, I'm assuming) before Monday will enter you into a chance to win 1 of 10 pairs of tickets. It would be awesome if there was some Forum representation there!

Get involved UK* folks!

*Probably more likely to be London folks. I wouldn't travel to the city if I lived more than an hour away.

Hmm, I think you mean me. Only thing is, I'm getting a Japanese CD of the album. And knowing my luck, even if I ordered from here I wouldn't be a winner.
Incidentally, are people still waiting for their EBW12 12"s from the official store?

Also, wouldn't it be a bit weird to go and sit in a room with a bunch of strangers, and not talk to them because you're being quiet for the album? Would you quietly file your nails and avoid eye-contact? Like on the tube.

Mind you Daniel Avery did a playback for his last album in a cinema/screening room. He made videos for every track on the album (see youtube, where he uploaded them all within a few days of release). So you could "watch" the album, a bit like watching the Further DVD. Now if the Chems did that for No Geography, I would be interested.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Sadly not... entered (didn't need to pre-order - already had done with the hope of winning Eden Sessions tickets) but didn't hear anything...

Six things we learned from The Chemical Brothers new album playback
Gain a sense of what No Geography is like ahead of its release in April

by Jack Beadle   

Gigwise were invited to be among the first to listen to The Chemical Brothers' upcoming ninth studio album, No Geography, out 12 April on Virgin EMI Records. Here's what we learned...

It is an 'album' album
The Chemical Brothers' previous album Born In The Echoes, great though it was, triumphed and suffered from its many different sounds and influences - a lack of cohesion. Their new record, out on 12 April and titled No Geography, feels much more a cohesive whole. The first few tracks segue into each other quite seamlessly, like they might at a Chemical Brothers live show. It begins with a statement, taking the listener on a winding trip, before closing majestically.

They're not resting on their laurels
With so much praise and success behind them, you might expect the duo to crank out a tried-and-trusted formulaic approach to their latter-day records. No such safety here: tracks like the opener 'Eve of Destruction', 'The Universe Sent Me' and 'Gravity Drops' twist and jump in style and pace, with a surprise at every turn.

They still use samples brilliantly
From the very start, 'the chems' have always been adept at combining synth knob-twiddling and crate digging samples to create something altogether new. 'We've Got To Try' being a key example on this record, but see also: 'Bango', with its Apache-sampling bongo breaks and cowbell mayhem before descending into a widdly, synthy groove.

They remember the rave
Title track 'No Geography' and already live favourite 'MAH' hark back to the glory days of rave and techno, whilst still pushing the envelope of how intense and interesting a drop can be. This nuanced tinge of nostalgia brings a smile to the listener's face, before slapping it with something completely fresh.

Space!
There is an overwhelming feeling of the cosmos on this record. Perhaps it was the inspiration behind the album's title? Bango's chipset beeps and the synth-led epic of No Geography set the tone ahead of tracks five and six; both spacey explorations in their unique ways. 'The Universe Sent Me' utilises sparkly synths which twinkle to give way to a four to the floor beat that builds and builds to another cosmic and epic deep space exploration, culminating in a cinematic climax. Yes!

The Chems know how to end a record
...and they always have done. 'The Private Psychedelic Reel', 'Surface To Air', 'Wonders Of The Deep': all anthemic closers to great TCB albums past. And No Geography is no exception. If 'MAH' is the violent ending, 'Catch Me I'm Falling' is the after life. An expansive number which invites you to reflect on the album that's just passed, tackling the ever-shifting vibe of the record with a resolute 'album closer' feel.

https://www.gigwise.com/features/3310961/six-things-we-learned-from-the-chemical-brothers-new-album-playback

Somebody pickup my chin from the floor please!!! Lordy I might go straight to Bango when I get the album!
Last Edit: Mar 31, 2019, 02:09 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Much excite!

Bango has bongos!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

The Universe Sent Me sounds like another Sunshine Underground/Escape Velocity. No complaints here if you're travelling through 2 different space explorations in one song.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Wow, that review gave me literally goosebumps reading through the euphoria dripping lines. And it gives me hope! Given the rather short length of the majority of tracks, I was a little anxious chances of an epic build-up type song like the mentioned ones were not that great. So, yeah, the excitement's just exponentially intensified!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Mar 31, 2019, 09:29
Space!
There is an overwhelming feeling of the cosmos on this record. Perhaps it was the inspiration behind the album's title? Bango's chipset beeps and the synth-led epic of No Geography set the tone ahead of tracks five and six; both spacey explorations in their unique ways. 'The Universe Sent Me' utilises sparkly synths which twinkle to give way to a four to the floor beat that builds and builds to another cosmic and epic deep space exploration, culminating in a cinematic climax. Yes!
Life of Gallieo reworks, I guarantee it