Surrender to the Void

AUSTRALIAN tour 2019/2020...????

Started by whitelabel84, Mar 27, 2019, 04:14

Previous topic - Next topic
The remix in question also affectionately approved by the brothers themselves in the comments. It could work with the uplifting build up in a live environment actually creating a moment:

...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: MIKL on Oct 22, 2019, 09:32

The remix in question also affectionately approved by the brothers themselves in the comments. It could work with the uplifting build up in a live environment actually creating a moment:

Got Glint -> OOC (Avalanches Mix) -> The Universe Sent Me (I'm not letting go of this dream)
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Only 3 days until the first show in Brisbane. Glenda and I are soooo excited, just started checking everything .. plane tickets: check, hotel booked: check, concert tickets: hmmm .. Sydney tickets, Melbourne tickets, where are the Brisbane tickets! Damn it, why did I opt for physical tickets posted. There is no option to reprint  :(

Luckily there were still a few left, had to buy them again, and now have them printed and on my phone.

If you are going to any of the Australia shows and want to meet up, look for the old couple on the front barrier ;D

I still try and get physical tickets when available, so you're not alone on that! Sorry you lost a pair!

Have fun Krisper, MIKL, and the rest of you Aussie folk!

See you Chemical Brothers and Sisters out there Thursday night! Coming over from Adelaide to make it happen!!

If you see a couple wearing matching black watermelon tops, come say hi!
Last Edit: Oct 29, 2019, 11:28 by torvolt

Make Australia Up Above while dancing like you've never seen. I want to feel the Earth (safely) shaking here in Germany!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Krisper on Oct 28, 2019, 08:58

Only 3 days until the first show in Brisbane. Glenda and I are soooo excited, just started checking everything .. plane tickets: check, hotel booked: check, concert tickets: hmmm .. Sydney tickets, Melbourne tickets, where are the Brisbane tickets! Damn it, why did I opt for physical tickets posted. There is no option to reprint  :(

Luckily there were still a few left, had to buy them again, and now have them printed and on my phone.

If you are going to any of the Australia shows and want to meet up, look for the old couple on the front barrier ;D

Quote from: torvolt on Oct 29, 2019, 02:50

See you Chemical Brothers and Sisters out there Thursday night! Coming over from Adelaide to make it happen!!

If you see a couple wearing matching black watermelon tops, come say hi!

very happy for you guys that are going! the anxiousness combined with the excitement is just the best feeling in the world before the show starts. be safe, and nothing but happy chemical memories for you all.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: MIKL on Oct 19, 2019, 09:34
Hold Tight Down Under, the wait is nearly over and with a possible set change up too!

Quote from: Csar on Oct 19, 2019, 10:00
We've had a good response to the summer shows and will change the songs up a bit and add some new aspects for the Australian shows," he says.
:)) :)) :))
Hi Kevin!

Well that was certainly something else! I was front and center and watching the Brothers work it out and their chemistry on stage was a true privilege. A few things...

- The opener DJ played a perfect warm-up set, building a nice vibe playing funky slower beats
- The Avalanches played a really good well mixed vinyl set but they played for less than an hour! Was surprised by the shortened set time, and even though it's a duo, it seemed like only one of them did a majority of the mixing
- The main event... Holy shit... when they came out it felt like I was witnessing royalty. The Chemical Brothers are here! Live! An overwhelming array of lights, lasers, colour and sound! Giant robots with lasers shooting out the eyes! Earth shattering bass and not to mention the gorgeous visuals. Fuuuck me!

They played my favourites: Star Guitar, Saturate, and Song to the Siren and finished off with a perfect encore.
Ed needs to crack a smile, haha!

Bonus: I actually got to meet the lovely Krisper and his other half. Was an honor to meet another chemical brother and sister.

Cheers!

Well as my friend torvolt already said and more... holy f*%k. Brilliant show. The Brothers raise the bar every time around and leap over it. Still on a high, see it again tomorrow night.

Earlier on that day my wife Glenda and I were wandering Brisbane, the chain of events that led to us being in the right place at the right time meant we bumped into Ed wandering along the street. Stopped and had a chat. Such a cool man, he flew in at 5am that morning, jetlagged as hell, said he'd never flown so far and done a show the same day, but you wouldn't fucking know it that night. Tom and Ed killed it.

Riverstage is such a great venue, outdoors next to the botanical gardens, a natural grass amphitheater which fit 9000 people. Well worth the effort to see them play there.

Quote from: Krisper on Nov 01, 2019, 08:46

we bumped into Ed wandering along the street.
Didn't Ed live in Australia at one point? Was it in Brisbane?

he flew in at 5am that morning, jetlagged as hell, said he'd never flown so far and done a show the same day,
He must have travelled separately from Tom, as Tom was instagramming/tweeting stuff from the Cricket the day before. Ed was cutting it a bit fine - any delays to his flight could have really messed things up. I hope all is well in T&E land (yeah, let's start a rumour!).

but you wouldn't fucking know it that night. Tom and Ed killed it.

Well the fact that they pre-program most of the live set probably helps. This post is starting to sound very negative isn't it?! I'm glad you Aussies have had a chance to catch the NG era tour. I guess it has moved on a bit since their last Aus tour, so you get to be dazzled a-fresh in Oct/Nov 2019. Liking your FB footage. Glad you enjoyed it.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

the chain of events that led to us being in the right place at the right time meant we bumped into Ed wandering along the street.

Found a photo of Ed wandering along the street in Brisbane

Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

That photo is definitely from the perspective of someone in the northern hemisphere 🙃

I wonder if the avalanches played their ooc remix🤞
Last Edit: Nov 01, 2019, 15:43 by Biff

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 01, 2019, 11:33
He must have travelled separately from Tom, as Tom was instagramming/tweeting stuff from the Cricket the day before. Ed was cutting it a bit fine - any delays to his flight could have really messed things up. I hope all is well in T&E land (yeah, let's start a rumour!).
Yeah, Tom flew in on the Monday. Ed stayed behind to celebrate his girlfriends birthday with her.

Quote from: Biff on Nov 01, 2019, 15:36
I wonder if the avalanches played their ooc remix🤞
I don't know much about the Avalanches music, it was OK, but only one guy actually did anything, the other just stood behind filming the audience.

Can't wait to read more about their shows in Australia! ;D Reading about the experiences gives me that glinty feeling, hehe!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

OK here I am writing back fresh after the Melbourne (last Australian gig for this tour) cause how can you go to sleep after experiencing something like that?!

To quote an Avalanches song "Tonight... may have to last me all my life"

Speaking of, as I've said before perfect match that I've wanted to see happen when Tom and Ed came back. And seems like they appreciated each other and hoping they got to spend some time chatting music which would've been amazing. The set was quite upbeat with some funk dropped in with some house beats intertwined really tight with a sprinkle of Avalanches vocal and song samples in there. Unfortunately missed the start of this due to the crazy queue to get wrist band after getting body searched and ticket scanned. But as far as I'm aware no Out of Control remix was played unless someone else out there knows otherwise? Remains a mystery for now. Set didn't last long seems like the tech team needed time to set up for the main course so Absolutebegin (a local manchester lad I believe) went back to take over on the side.

So the main course:

From the get go with Tomorrow Never Knows and how even where I was standing this tunnel vision surround sound effect was happening and getting more full on. The glint in my eyes had lit up instantly like an old friend.

Then Go started and surprisingly really got me ready for the set and sounded great then with the build up into Free Yourself which was perfect. The crowd really responded when the first hypnotising siren swirls started for the song pretty much the same way the robots did in the film clip, no joke was hilarious. Job accomplished there. Chemical Beats kept that going. Still holds up and when you haven't seen them live for quite a while like you guys up north of world you really try to appreciate it I guess.

Mad as Hell, holy shit. Awesome live hits the spot, bass, synths all perfectly sounding they kept it going at the end with the beat going as well going to full burn out with all the sounds going out of control. Great ending to that, then into EML Ritual for more another audio assault (also a new one live for the Aussies). Its so good being close but not too close to the visuals so you get the full effect with sound and but still close to the stage. (I was pretty much in the middle 5 bodies from the front)

Swoon sounded great I was still dancing then Star Guitar with all the subtle but perfect new elements including the full vocal New Order moment and the 'sexy synth' at the end (as people like to describe it here on the forum) Packed a punch with some euphoria still. The lights up close to this worked well too actually. I felt like I was entering fucking Xanadu (if you know the movie where the guy finally roller-skates into the murial wall with and its all yellow, red lights amongst black).

Then lo and behold in the flesh I get to see Got to Keep On with these guys on stage after watching online a million times being in that epileptic moment with the phone call poem and confetti amongst the crowd. Then here comes and old friend that everyone still loves, Hey Boy Hey Girl with extended jam at the end (or now known as the psychedelic mix intertwined) to keep the high going. Love that bit gives it new life without remixing the whole thing.

Eve of Destruction great after the new HBHG high and seeing the visuals. Like how they mixed this up with a jam in the middle even though its a new one still. With Saturate they had a double kick house beat they played around with a bit at the end going into No Geography. Seeing this guy on the screen close is creepy but friendly at the same time like a blade runner replicant or something with his precise facial expressions. It felt like the show ended there but we know it doesn't thankfully leaving you on a high like that.

Booting up again with Escape Velocity, experienced this one before but was good to hear and still got me going, going into the overdrive hoops mix with those sounds coming out of nowhere filling the room. Maybe the first or second time George and Mildred have been down under. they did a good job hiding them before the reveal. Then the welcoming DYOH and UTI mash up so good and to hear another cut from that album.

First time to experience Wide Open live for the Aussies too and when I saw that online when you guys got to see it I was hoping they kept that which was great. Still Dancing. Then the Big Beat mashup! Really enjoyed that part again. Big sound everyone getting into it.

Encore time, Got Glint, another live favourite of mine with a Catch Me I'm Falling twist. They really took there time with this part and it was great, the crowd were really into it too. The slow groove hitting all the right buttons then hands in the air again when they add in CMIF.

And what can I say about the Reel, but then I just wanted to melt and float off into the abyss they way it was sounding. They introduced it with a subtle 4x4 beat and another sound effect leading into it which you would think wouldn't work but only Tom and Ed would know how to make it work and it sounded cool. They did it in the middle too stripping back to that infamous stones track whats my name. you think about the hippie with this cowboy hat surrendering when that happens like the cover. Then its all over! as you know when Tom takes position to let loose on the synth closing out. So to report for you forumites who want to know, in summary, no set changes to what some of you guys on the other side of the globe have experienced already, that comment in the article was probably referring to the changes since last time they were in OZ which we either missed 1 or 2 tours.

The crowd, a mixture of young and old which was great. I also saw a lot of parents with there kid in either tween or teen years watching them together and it just reminded me of Whirly and Connor so nice to see. Didn't managed to see the watermelon wearing couple or Krisper unfortunately but I"m sure where're all there in spirit. I didn't want to lose my spot and just soak it all in.

Thankfully going by something Ed said in a post while in Australia he said 'see you next time' (!) I'll remember that! Can't wait to do it all again. Tom and Ed thank you coming down again! Really appreciated. The music keeps me going in life and speaks to me in a way not many other artists have over the years. I know the travel is not easy coming to this side of the world each time I go to the northern hemisphere it takes a while to adjust time/sleep wise.

Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019, 09:21 by MIKL
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Australia might be a bit out of the way, but it's gotta be one of the more well received and appealing destinations for tourists all over the globe. So when the opportunity arises, more than likely your gonna make it happen. At least that's an outsiders perspective.

I'm guessing they'll surely be back, as long as a promoter wants them back.

Glad you had a awesome show MIKL! Thanks for sharing

Nice write up MIKL!

good to see that parents were taking their kids to these shows because hey.. you got to start them early and learn about the chemicals, plus there's a few concerts that rarely offer a family friendly show.

the feeling when you finally see GTKO is so justified after the loops of youtube concert vids of the track. there's a wave of relief and redemption when it first kicks in when i heard first heard it live, and i'm pretty sure you felt the same way or similar.

I laughed at your Xanadu reference because i remember that movie and because I had a kid crush on olivia newton john, but then again , the chems have a way of 'pulling' you in, so im glad you felt that during SG! aka my happy song!

now go get some rest while you still have the glint till the next show  ;D
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Great review, and so soon after the gig!  Thank you MIKL (and of course Krisper) I hope you all are basking in the Chemical afterglow (which is seriously like the best feeling ever) for a good long time!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Well I can't compete with Mikl for a write up, but all I can say is WOW! We watched no spoilers before seeing these shows, so we had no idea what was coming.

My wife Glenda and I travelled 554kms by car, 3224kms by plane, stayed in 3 hotels and saw all 3 shows. The Brisbane Riverstage is just amazing as a venue, but after last night, it does lack a bit for the sound. Still, a great outdoor venue, we were front row on the barrier. Had to deal with a few tossers that don't think the ole couple should be up the front, but other than that, a great night.

We bumped into Ed that afternoon wandering the streets of Brisbane, and he was so kind, stopped and had a chat. Such a wonderful man.

And then Sydney, second from the front this time, the show absolutely amazing. Even though we'd just seen it before, your memory just can't hold how good it is, and it is always 1000x better than you expect. So hot inside the Dome, drenched in sweat, stupid organisers split the floor tickets into 2 sections, front and back, but then let everyone crush into the front. It was ridiculously packed. They should have just pulled the barrier down.

And then Melbourne, this time we stayed back near the sound desk, and it was great. The sound was brilliant, so fucking loud, all of the liquid in my body was dancing like corn starch on a speaker. And seeing the visuals from further back, we saw so much more happening, the lights synched with visuals on the screen, synched with the music was the best thing I have ever seen or heard.

I put a couple of clips on YouTube, just from my phone, which unfortunately doesn't handle the audio very well, the volume keeps changing.

The Reel :) I knew the drop was coming, still made me jump when it did. Pissed off my phone couldn;t handle the audio better. It was really fuckin loud though, loudest I've ever heard.

The fact that they invest so much back into their shows each time around, using nothing but the best in lighting and sound, the Brothers are just fucking incredible.

And to top it all off ... Ed went out of his way soo much to organise for Glenda and myself to meet him and Tom, it was just amazing. When we met in Brisbane, he said he would organise for us to get into the after party in Sydney, and sure enough before the show he messaged me on instagram saying it was all set up, but we fucked up, asked around where the guest list was, was directed inside to talk to one of the managers, he had no clue, no one else had a clue. But he went above and beyond for us, organised for after show passes in Melbourne, got his tour manager to connect up with me to make sure it was all cool. We got back stage after the show with a bunch of other people, no idea who they were. We waited a while, and then Tom and Ed come in, pretty well came straight over to us, introduced us to Tom, had a bit of a chat, took some photos, and they were off again. So fucking cool. I know a lot of you guys have met up with them before but for us, this was really huge. Gonna take a while to come down from this last week.