Superflash - Numéro Un, Number One

Reviews!

Started by nekoland, Apr 05, 2019, 12:09

Previous topic - Next topic
there are some terrific quotes in that interview, thanks!
Eight or over.

I enjoy most of his reviews. The only thing I can definitely agree with this reviewer is that the first leg of the album is brilliant!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Thinks TUSM is worst track on the album? Wrong.
Doesn't like MAH? Needs to be dragged to a gig and have Mad King Puppy blast light spells out of his giant hands straight through his brain.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Take a look at the comment section :)
Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019, 20:58 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Let me start by saying that every Chemical Brothers album has 'high' lights and some tracks that I tend to skip.

The thing with their music is that one day I will keep 'Marvo Ging' on repeat for about twenty minutes and then play 'Three Little Birdies Down Beats' afterwards for nostalgia.

My favourite all time tracks though consist of 'Star Guitar', 'Galvanize', 'Hey Boy..', 'Surface To Air', 'It Doesnt Matter', 'Acid Children', and yet immediately.......

'Got To Keep On' has entered that all time favourite list. It is such a tune. I love the bass line. I love how the two clap claps keep the track disco oriented and funky as hell. A classic instantly. The bells that accompanied the dancing pink blobby figures chime in quicker than the live version but even after repeated plays this tune never goes stale.

After my very first listen of 'We've Got To Try', I hated it. HATED. But after four or five repeated plays, I gradually started to warm, and now I love it. The switch to orchestral then straight into the trippy section heavy on cymbals blows my eardrums and I love it.

Where to rank this full length?

Personally I love 'Push The Button'.
'We Are The Night' is , also in my humble opinion slightly better.

'Further' and 'Born...' were not classics but DID produce fantastic tracks individually.

Its all about preference though right?

I mean, I can't say that I love Noel Gallaghers vocals and I will get lambasted for even suggesting that.

But as long as Tom&Ed keep producing new music, I will keep on enjoying.........

People like that guy from yt are reason I don't care about music reviews.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Fantano! People enjoy Fantano since he covers indie/alternative music, but speaks from the gut and is self-aware while still being articulate - HUGE contrast to a lot of pretentious indie reviewers out there. But his reviews are almost always surface level early impression opinions, and he's really influenced by what the general "indie public" think of an artist.

With music being so easy to test drive you hope a reviewer can give you a perspective on an album you wouldn't otherwise have. Fantano only really pulls that off with artists he really cares about. Mostly, you just think "yeah that's about what I thought too when I listened to the album once or twice" and sometimes that's nice to hear from someone else.
Never for money, always for love.

Also Fantano was one of those YouTube personalities who went edgy for the money before journalists started picking up on the /pol/ dogwhistles on his side channel and he backpedaled hard, so even when I agree with him on matters of taste (which isn't uncommon - he introduced me to clipping. several years before Daveed Diggs was a household name & I'm glad to have trusted him on that) I don't see him as a particularly discerning thinker on any issue musical or otherwise
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album