Push the Button

2023/08/31 - Breeze Festival Burgas (Sofia, Bulgaria)

Started by ThePumisher, Sep 01, 2023, 08:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 01, 2023, 08:42
Someone played Scale at yesterdays show
https://instagram.com/stories/emilythestrange_/3182091439725095422?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==
I've heard it before every show I've attended (last time before Mr. James Holroyd started pump the crowd), and sometimes they play Seal.
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Explud on Sep 01, 2023, 10:06
and sometimes they play Seal.
As they should! I remember hearing those two during the wait for the Coachella stream to start, and was very surprised, as I've never been to a show before and had no idea they did that. Seal is the best, should also be played after! It's the PERFECT "wow, that really just happened" chill out song. Glad they give it the attention it deserves at least in some capacity. 
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

There's a regular few tracks played usually in the lead up to their live sets as stage crew is doing last checks. Not sure how long they have been in rotation. Ones that I recall are as follows:

Scale
Seal
Strafe - Set It Off

Timmy Thomas - Why Can't We Live Together

It my last few live experiences, it's provided a combined eerie and chill vibe as the anticipation hits and as last minute hugs are shared amongst friends, the forum family and strangers knowing the journey is about to begin. Can't recall any other regular tracks. Also, someone remind me of the post show track when stage crew strikes / tears down.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: rynostar on Sep 02, 2023, 18:15
Also, someone remind me of the post show track when stage crew strikes / tears down.

That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Terry Riley of course served as inspiration for The Who's Baba O' Riley.
"The actual title of the song is a result of two major inspirations of [Pete] Townshend: Meher Baba (an Iranian spiritual master) and Terry Riley (an American composer)". Source.

And of course The Who song was in turn seen as inspiration for Escape Velocity, and EV is listed as having an "interpolation" sample of Baba O' Riley on the WhoSampled website.

I suspect y'all discussed this here back in the "Further" days before I came along. But perhaps some of our "younger listeners" might not be aware.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 02, 2023, 20:17
"The actual title of the song is a result of two major inspirations of [Pete] Townshend: Meher Baba (an Iranian spiritual master) and Terry Riley (an American composer)". Source.

And of course The Who song was in turn seen as inspiration for Escape Velocity, and EV is listed as having an "interpolation" sample of Baba O' Riley on the WhoSampled website.

I suspect y'all discussed this here back in the "Further" days before I came along. But perhaps some of our "younger listeners" might not be aware.

Back at Coachella 2009, we were hinted about their DJ set containing new material to be debuted. When they cued "Escape Velocity" to cap the set, many of us in realtime thought it was just "Baba O'Riley". As the song played out we realized it was a something different since we didn't hear the famous guitar/piano riffs used in aforementioned track. Was a pretty exciting night.

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 02, 2023, 18:23

BRO!!! I 100% thought that was just something original they made specifically for the post show.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 02, 2023, 18:23

Upon hearing, I was like "wait, I've heard this before!" But was confused why, as I haven't been to a show. Then I realized - don't they sample this in Let Us Build A City? Or am I bonkers here?
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Quote from: ; on Sep 04, 2023, 18:39
Then I realized - don't they sample this in Let Us Build A City? Or am I bonkers here?

Hmmm, I'm not sure I can spot a direct sample but I hear where you're coming from. The section from about 1:30 to 2:18 in Build A City all sounds quite Riley/Curved Air influenced alright.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 02, 2023, 20:17

I don't remember us having discussed this so in-depth as you, Krabbs. So thank you for sharing the Baba O'Reily story which was a great read.
From what I was able to track back, Whitenoise was one of the first to mention Terry O'Reily's Curved Air back in 2016.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)