My Heart and Soul, They Are Free

Greta Van Fleet

Started by Conn6orsuper117, Apr 17, 2019, 09:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Currently one of the hottest groups in the U.S. Right now. Some people say they're discount led zeppelin, I say I don't care because they got talent. Thoughts?
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I like it. In this day and age a label like "discount Led Zepplin"is hardly an offense.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Truly don't like them. It's not even "discount Led Zeppelin", it's inauthentic re-creation. They bring absolutely nothing new to the table and are so caught up in appropriating that image - it's like they make the music they do and dress the way they dress because they're supposed to, to copy their classic rock idols, rather than to self express! It's just weird.

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, this says it better than I can:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

They are a new kind of vampiric band who's there to catch the runoff of original classic rock using streaming services' data-driven business model. Greta Van Fleet exist to be swallowed into the algorithm's churn and rack up plays, of which they already have hundreds of millions. They make music that sounds exactly like Led Zeppelin and demand very little other than forgetting how good Led Zeppelin often were.

But for as retro as Anthem of the Peaceful Army may seem, in actuality, it is the future. It's proof of concept that in the streaming and algorithm economy, a band doesn't need to really capture the past, it just needs to come close enough so that a computer can assign it to its definite article. The more unique it sounds, the less chance it has to be placed alongside what you already love. So when the Greta Van Fleet of your favorite artist finally lands on your morning playlist, spark up a bowl of nostalgia and enjoy the self-satisfied buzz of recognizing something you already know. It's the cheapest high in music.
Never for money, always for love.

I think they sound pretty good. Chastising them with "inauthentic re-creation" is a bit harsh and dismissive, we could sit here all day breaking down artist after artist in saying they were un-original or just another knock-off. I do agree this debut LP was a bit lacking, but I enjoyed their EP prior to this.

To put a positive spin on this un-original malarkey, I think they accomplished a pretty uncanny reincarnation of a Zeppelin-like sound, and I don't think they should be ashamed for it. I'd like to see if this band grows beyond that. And If they can't, well, it was a brief but fun flash to yesteryear.

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 17, 2019, 20:44

I think they sound pretty good. Chastising them with "inauthentic re-creation" is a bit harsh and dismissive, we could sit here all day breaking down artist after artist in saying they were un-original or just another knock-off.

This is true.

This could be said about the chems too. First thing that comes to mind is surface to air => modern age by the strokes, never mind the countless samples they use.

with that being said though that does not mean they arent being creative, everyone, every band has something that makes them, them. Greta Van Fleet is no different they are talented as all hell as they can play the shit outta their instruments.

Imagine you and your brothers playing in a band in your basement and doing local shows, and you know music and can play music, and you love zeppelin, what do you do? Base your sound around that, they probably were never expecting to get as big as they did so fast, which is why they are now doing an about face it seems and saying they are gonna change their sound...their new song doesnt sound anything like zeppelin, which may be a good turn for them.

Do i personally like them? No, but thats only cause im a HUGE zeppelin fan and its confusing to me, doesnt mean they set out to re create zeppelin and rip them off, no.

but it's more fun to be a hater, bosco. we should all hate on that stupid band that's not even a band, they just use samples of other better bands, the originals are so much better, haven't you heard coup by 23 skidoo?
Eight or over.

Quote from: GLAKO-FAHN on Apr 17, 2019, 21:19

but it's more fun to be a hater, bosco. we should all hate on that stupid band that's not even a band, they just use samples of other better bands, the originals are so much better, haven't you heard coup by 23 skidoo?
Quote from: Redout_Chemical on Apr 17, 2019, 21:15

This could be said about the chems too. First thing that comes to mind is surface to air => modern age by the strokes, never mind the countless samples they use.

with that being said though that does not mean they arent being creative, everyone, every band has something that makes them, them. Greta Van Fleet is no different they are talented as all hell as they can play the shit outta their instruments.
Well it's not about "originality". Couldn't give much of a shit about that. Beyond aesthetic preference, good music is honestly making something only you could make.

I can't hear a single thing about Greta Van Fleet that "only they could create". They're talented. But there's this serious feeling that they and their record label are just cynically targeting classic rock fans, people who complain about there being "no real music these days", with music manufactured to appeal to them. And their rise in popularity has been backed by algorithms and board meetings and money poured into a product that says "we're going to create this to appeal to these people right here."

There's a formula they're following, not necessarily a creative instinct. That's what bothers me so much.

Chems have always had managers and industry people marketing their music toward those who it would appeal to, there's always business here - but you never get the sense the Chems are deliberately writing music for specific demographics and profit margins. GVF, you get that sense.

I'm sorry if this comes across so cynical - I really, really try to not be that guy who says "that thing you like? you're wrong for liking it." But it feels like their music comes from a place of cynicality too.
Never for money, always for love.

Inauthentic or not, they're young 20 year olds and a label is willing to pave a path to stardom in a market where rock music is not flourishing. I don't discredit them for following the labels lead.

Chems were a byproduct of the big-beat/electronica made up marketed namesake. I'm pretty sure they didn't have the analytical data we use to justify things now, but they too were pawns in a marketing scheme at one time.

what's the old saying...

Don't hate the playa, hate the game

They're a joke but a frequently-fun joke

If rock-and-roll has any hope of a future it doesn't lie with them but there's something kind of endearing about the fact that there are twentysomethings out there who can make/listen to this stuff and earnestly think it might be the future
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

I stumbled upon this today and, while it's not about Greta per se, it is about state of rock today. It's quite interesting, even if I don't much agree with it.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/nick-cave-rock-music-has-become-safer-more-nostlagic-more-cautious-more-corporate/

His whole premise is how rock is losing its edge and how it's becoming safer and more nostalgic while his own work (which I'm a huge fan of) is exactly that. And it always was. I must admit I find that hilarious in some way.

Also, I would like to express my utter distaste for statements like "It's the cheapest high in music."
It smacks of elitism.
I would argue that there is no 'cheap' high in music, if music in question fills you with joy and something positive. There are some songs I adore that I'm sure most people would laugh at and call them 'cheap' but in my mind, they are connected to moments that are precious to me and when I hear them today, I don't really think about 'quality' of said work; music transports me to another time dear to me and I find nothing cheap about that. I would go as far as saying it is exactly what music should do. It's its greatest power.

I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

well put ☝︎
Eight or over.

I get high off K-Pop on a daily basis. It's the epitome of manufactured music but it makes me feel truly magic inside.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning