Dream How I Dream to Feel

Surrender Box Set Coming Soon

Started by inchemwetrust, Apr 29, 2019, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic
The Psychedelic Mixes pretty much seem like earlier original uncut jams before they got the solid album structure down. Think of them more like Electronic Battle Weapons.

iTunes has digital pre-order available with track length listed.

The Secret Psychedelic Mixes:

1. Hey Boy Hey Girl - 5:32

2. Let Forever Be - 5:20

3. Out of Control - 21:07

4. Flashback - 5:30

5. Dream On - 4:21

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Oct 01, 2019, 21:22

Is it not? I mean I know it's not the breakbeat version but this could still have been an alternate studio take from back then?
Yeah, definitely sounds more like a rough demo/ studio jam session version with a bit of H.I.A-flavored beats. The only thing that's surprising to me is the attached "psychedelic mix" label as this is anything but really "psychedelic". But either way, it only shows how genius they were in getting back to it and shape it to the track we all know from Surrender which is one of the greatest electro tracks and was so ahead of its time.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Since this is one of the first times we got a proper Chem Bros remaster, I really hope they did a good job on it and I hope there will be a Hi-Res digital edition.

Quote from: Csar on Oct 02, 2019, 06:36
The only thing that's surprising to me is the attached "psychedelic mix" label as this is anything but really "psychedelic"
Definitely agree. Not at all what I was expecting or hoping for from this series of "new" mixes so far. Hoping the other ones live up to the name. While it doesn't meet my expectations it's still great to hear "new" Chems!

I already knew the Kink mix wasn't going to be my thing.

Quote from: Explud on Oct 01, 2019, 23:45

I never thought that I would live to see the time when Chems will adjust their music according to the EDM and themselves will remix themselves for the sake of youth...
God.. T&E, what are you doing?
I helped somebody find a thread here earlier because they had gone a bit blind (you know who you are!) but now I seem to have gone blind myself. That Ghost Producers thread seems to have disappeared...?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Nice to know where that extra bit added to HBHG came from. I'd imagine these mixes will sound like Studio K-like versions, since that b-side sounds like it was made in a similar way.

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 02, 2019, 05:27
2. Let Forever Be - 5:20
Aw yeah, I'm glad this one isn't short
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 02, 2019, 17:13
That Ghost Producers thread seems to have disappeared...?
It was just a joke :)
Hi Kevin!

Ok, now that i gave the Psychodelic mix and the Kink remix a couple of spins i would like to trade in both and get the extended version of HBHG
no idea, no idea

The intro of HBHG Psychedelic mix reminded me of Fatboy's slims remix of 'I See You Baby'. Then, when the 'hi-hat' becomes more prevalent, it has some similarity to Daft Punk's 'Revolution 909'.

The track feels like it's extracted from an actual DJ mix.

Revisiting the original HBHG, it sounds more psychedelic than the self acclaimed "Psychedelic Mix".

My guess is this was never a "Psychedelic" form of the song, but rather a conditioned version that could be dropped in the middle of an action sequence for a film.

Quote from: Explud on Oct 02, 2019, 17:56

It was just a joke :)
Damn you! You really made me look up Chemical Brothers + ghostproducer. Rrrrr. So, I was right all along. The only ghostproducer that works for the Chemical Brothers is Tom Rowlands. He's been ghostproducing for Ed Simons since their inception. Ed Simons then completes the ghostproducing by revising the usually ridiculously long jam sessions and condensing them into digestible lenghts. Exhibit A: Out of Control

This begs the question: How long is the demo version of Escape Velocity?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Technically speaking, would the people they hire to create interpolations be considered ghost-producer(s)?
Last Edit: Oct 02, 2019, 19:56 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 02, 2019, 19:46

Technically speaking, would the people they hire to create interpolations be considered ghost-producer(s)?
Ooh interesting point. See Explud, there was still more mileage to be squeezed from that (deleted) thread...

As for the Psychedelic mix of HBHG, I'm inclined to agree with Ben J, it would have been nice to get a more early-breakbeat version of the track, and I'd also agree with Bosco that this sounds less Psychedelic than the normal version. I'm inclined to think that this was a penultimate version of the track. We may have to adjust our expectations on the remaining "Psychedelic" mixes. Maybe it's just a fun heading to lump these things under for the Box Set, inspired (in theory, but not in practice) by that Beatles mythical Private Psychedelic Reel.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I finally gave the KiNK remix a proper play with my headphones. It's really a banger! I think I like it even better than. The Soulwax remix

Quote from: Ben_j on Oct 02, 2019, 22:49

I finally gave the KiNK remix a proper play with my headphones. It's really a banger! I think I like it even better than. The Soulwax remix
How can you?  :o

https://www.nme.com/news/music/hear-two-new-mixes-chemical-brothers-hey-boy-hey-girl-share-full-details-surrender-reissue-2553013
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Ben_j on Oct 02, 2019, 22:49

Quote from: ThePumisher on Oct 02, 2019, 22:52

How can you?  :o

BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT AVALANCHES MIX???

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Oct 03, 2019, 04:41

BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT AVALANCHES MIX???
They made a mix/remix of HBHG? Thought it was OOC
no idea, no idea

Roh Roh.  The point is, why isn't it in the box and when can I buy it?

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Oct 03, 2019, 15:26

Roh Roh.  The point is, why isn't it in the box and when can I buy it?

According to this article which I posted on Facebook, the KiNK remix was to be available on a download card with the box set. But then this article came along and suggested the KiNK remix is now properly added to the box set. The Avalanches hadn't even finished the remix when they posted that OOC thing a couple of days ago. I would bet my bottom dollar that it will come with the box set in some shape or form. So to answer your question: 22nd November. Probably.
IT'S MORNING TIME!