Further

Surrender Box Set Coming Soon

Started by inchemwetrust, Apr 29, 2019, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: shakermaker on Oct 13, 2019, 16:27

"pre-order" has become a different name for a kickstarter. :-) which, like kickstarters, get delayed and sometimes even fail (see: massive attack).

I was wondering why I saw articles recently "announcing" this box set - I thought "hadn't it been announced months ago?" - but I suppose it wasn't a sure thing until more recently.

If you're talking about Mezzanine deluxe LP reissue, it is pretty clear that had to do with Pledge Music going under and as they handled a huge batch of preorders when they went under, taking artists money with them. Massive Attack claimed it had to do with not having access to original artwork, but I believe that was total BS.

One thing, Massive Attack showed the color vinyl set fully printed. If there was an issue with the artwork, it would have already been known much earlier in the process. Also, if the artwork had issues, how did they press the CD copy?

Also, 3D released a book about the art of Massive Attack very recently and in it was the Mezzanine artwork, which shows he would have had to had access to the art.

I believe they lost a bunch of money because of Pledge Music. They hoped during the court proceedings that they would get money and kept delaying. When it became clear that wasn't going to happen, they cut their losses and it was cheaper just doing a single record release.

I'm still not sure if the people who preordered the vinyl set thru Pledge Music even got their money back.
Last Edit: Oct 14, 2019, 08:19 by neorev

I'm not sure how any of that changes anything. my point was, the initial announcement (example) was presented fairly formally as if it was going to be a thing, not "we'd like to try and make this happen, will you help us?" which would have been much more honest.

I totally agree with you. But unfortunately, for a lot of folks out there, a "this might be a thing, would you consider buying it?" doesn't give labels the same kind of feedback as "Hey! This is coming! Pre-order now!"

I think a lot of people would have thought "cool, that would be great" but not necessarily put down the money for something there's a chance wouldn't exist. I know. Thats's kinda hypocritical, but I'm pretty sure if you were to track the engagement in a Kickstarter type thing vs. an "official" pre-order, you'd see a lot more interest, and money, going towards the official thing that is (as far as audiences know) coming out in the near future.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I just wish the pre order announcement wouldn't have stated that pre orders were going to include the EBW 10" with earliest pre orders. 

Just a thought about this version of Out Of Control.

When I was at Field Day, Erol Alkan dropped OOC in his mix BUT I remember at the time thinking 'This must be an unreleased edit' because it was more like a Chems live version where it was mostly instrumental and sparingly used the vocal (mostly just the title lyric).

But then again, my memory could arguably be unreliable.

Nice find! This shit just got expensive.
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

eh, Imma just wait for the youtube vids. 8)
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

108€ for the full blast. I've paid 45€ for the non-Japan version. 108€ - that is 63€ for 12 more tracks, or 5,25€ for each new song...
But including the Fuji'99 set seems to be nice, still unsure about the Kink remix. But what's up with the Avalanches remix?
no idea, no idea

Just to be clear the KINK remix is not a Japanese exclusive. Its standard bonus disc track. I think the 3 disc Japanese edition would be a great buy. The Japanese 5 disc box set might be for people with more money than sense!

I'm getting the impression that the avalanches remix will not be a last minute addition.

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Oct 20, 2019, 11:01

Just to be clear the KINK remix is not a Japanese exclusive. Its standard bonus disc track.

According to the Universal Store (linked from the brothers mainpage) it is not included on the regular 2-disc version or the 3-disc + dvd box set.
no idea, no idea

They are not very good at getting thing right though are they!

Keen eye, whitelabel.

CDJapan has it too

3 CD version Standard Edition:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICW-10021

4 CD + 1 DVD Limited Edition:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICW-90001

Kinda disappointed they decided to add regional exclusive content with an album anniversary release. Majority of the people buying this release already have the original album and are only seeking any additional content that wasn't available before. The Japanese exclusivity just makes it more difficult and unnecessary. Whatever...
Last Edit: Oct 20, 2019, 18:21 by Bosco

Yeah. Pretty upset honestly. Especially with an already questionable price attached to a release that is mostly stuff we all own already.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Not cool. The Fuji Rocks 1999 CD should have been included worldwide.

Pretty sure that import releases in Japan are legally(?) required to have some sort of region-exclusive content in order to further discourage violation of the country's strict anti-piracy laws during the added wait, so the fact that there was something this era- and region-appropriate waiting in the Chemical vault is honestly kind of a lucky break for them
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 20, 2019, 18:09

Keen eye, whitelabel.

CDJapan has it too

3 CD version Standard Edition:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICW-10021

4 CD + 1 DVD Limited Edition:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICW-90001

Kinda disappointed they decided to add regional exclusive content with an album anniversary release. Majority of the people buying this release already have the original album and are only seeking any additional content that wasn't available before. The Japanese exclusivity just makes it more difficult and unnecessary. Whatever...
It seems that in order to have both the DVD and the live CD of Fuji Rock it costs less to buy the 3CD Japanese edition and the 3CD+DVD boxset "western" edition rather than to buy the 4DC+DVD japanese edition.

Already inquired with my local shop to see if I can get this!!

Gah, you beat me to it. Is your local record shop called Rapture in Witney by any chance?

https://twitter.com/ChemBros/status/1190282350271164420
IT'S MORNING TIME!