How Does It Feel Like to Wake Up In the Sun?

Surrender Box Set Coming Soon

Started by inchemwetrust, Apr 29, 2019, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: actionjackson780 on Nov 23, 2019, 19:07

A few more thoughts as I digest the release:

-The new mix of Let Forever Be is still the highlight. This version would be superb worked into the live set imo

-Call me a cynic but I sort of wonder whether these are all really alternate 1999 mixes that have been left untouched. Did they get any updating in preparation for release?

I thought that too (sorry!) - they sound very polished! But not complaining, loving the new (old) mixes.
"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

After a couple of days with the vinyl box set, I have a couple of raves and rants.

The curated record with B-Sides and OOC and HBHG mixes is ok, but they could've least put in Scale and The Diamond Sky on the record as well right?

The Psychedelic Mixes is the standout in this boxset: HBHG - The beginning sounds like something from H.I.A. but then I already get the notion that this version of HBHG sounds a bit punchier but nothing new that would awaken my ears. A decent but good mix but slightly skippable! LET FOREVER BE - Some of you have already sampled and tasted this tasty nugget, and I love this alternative version very much. One of the best mixes on this record. I just really wish there was more variation in the track ( play with the vocals more or sounds, etc) FLASHBACK - YES! More of a soundtrack version to me. Love the little echoes of 'flashback' at the end, but I like the way they did those 'haunting' sounds (if that's the best way to describe it) and I think they played it in reverse just to add variation. Kudos to the Bros for putting out this 2nd version. DREAM ON - This one really got my attention much quicker than the others at the beginning. But it's nothing more than an another alternate version of the original. Some subtle changes but enjoyed it! OUT OF CONTROL - First half is just the usual tracks linear path, but it changes it up much more in the second half with effects and 'mess-arounds' with the signature song pattern. Its repetitious for 22 minutes but I give it credit for the change up at the halfway mark ,in which I think saved this track. Interesting mix!

Overall the only thing I would've change in this mix would be the spacing of the tracks. I wish this could've been a continuous mix and blend in one track to another (while leaving OOC on its own).

As for the Surrender album, so far it sounds the same as my original record from 1999 imo. Maybe some more listens to change my mind but this version has a slight gain in volume from about 15 percent compared to the original. I had a great nostalgic listen from beginning to end while I was reading the booklet.

Speaking of the booklet,I love the contribution in the columns! Alexis Petridis, and Adam Smith give nods to the album and share feelings for this anniversary. Really love the page with the collage of the passes, pics, and ads. Good reads from the early beginning recordings with Bernard Summer, to the Mojo album review, to Robin Turners write up on Surrenders zenith at Glasto! Good stuff.

The Glasto 99 DVD was a pretty good companion for the boxset for casual fans, but only 40 plus minutes? I really wish there was more? If you already seen the WOODSTOCK 99 footage, then you probably seen this before besides the different camera angles and variations of the live tracks such as BRB,STTS,etc. Otherwise, I liked it but made me want more.

The Kate Gibb prints are gorgeous and colorful on a nice cardstock. Definitely gonna frame them altogether.

Overall I mostly liked everything in this box and thought this was well made in rememberance to the classic album. I enjoy having a fresh new copy of the album in addition to my my older one. Really love the prints, the booklet, and the Psychedelic mixes. Besides my minor gripes that I mentioned above, I have to question the value of everything you get in this box.

IMO I think the vinyl box set is fairly priced. 20 bucks more if were talking about the EBW's bundled. But as some of you know, I love this band as much as anyone else, and enjoy collecting their catalog. So if you feel the same way than go for it, but at least shop around for deals (maybe black friday) or maybe find a shop online in your country to avoid crazy shipping charges. I paid around 120.97 for mine, but with one day shipping & handling is $8.99 and tax, $12.34, my total was $142.30, but I had an Amazon credit card with points for cash back, so I use those points toward this purchase and got it down to 120.17 total. Then today, I got an email for an additional 14.87 refund for my purchase because I had price-protection, which means if I buy an item today and it drops in price the next day, I'll get the difference back, so now I really just paid 105.30 for the box set.

As of this post, the price went down to 92.37, so its still cheaper than the chems store version.

Overall very satisfied with the boxset! Oh and by the way, if you have problems playing the glasto concert from the main menu, go to chapter instead! It will play from there.

Last Edit: Nov 25, 2019, 16:59 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Nov 25, 2019, 09:06
The Glasto 99 DVD was a pretty good companion for the boxset for casual fans, but only 40 plus minutes?

40 minutes? wtf!!!

man $92.37 is a pretty good deal. I even have an amazon voucher from cashing in my piggy banks that would cover most of the cost.

Just got an email from umg stating "delivery has been dispatched."  I preordered the freaking day this was made available and umg is just now, 4 days after release, sending it out?  WTF?

Quote from: shakermaker on Nov 25, 2019, 15:25

40 minutes? wtf!!!

I know man! I feel kind of shortchanged a bit. But I watched it again and now I'm thinking 'maybe' they couldn't find the rest of the footage for the show in the film archives. Wild guess I suppose.

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Nov 25, 2019, 16:31

Just got an email from umg stating "delivery has been dispatched."  I preordered the freaking day this was made available and umg is just now, 4 days after release, sending it out?  WTF?

Same for me. Guess I'll get it sometime in December? Don't know why I keep taking the bait...

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Nov 25, 2019, 17:15

I know man! I feel kind of shortchanged a bit. But I watched it again and now I'm thinking 'maybe' they couldn't find the rest of the footage for the show in the film archives. Wild guess I suppose.

I guess that's all they had, which is more than they broadcast back in 2000 so thats a bonus. It's a shame they didnt put more footage from other shows on the dvd. In terms of Surrender live tracks the disc is a bit lite. I wish they had padded it with the  Red rock show, there definitely footage for out of control and  sunshine underground. Not keen on seeing any Woodstock footage, it's a bit naff.
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Nov 25, 2019, 09:06
As for the Surrender album, so far it sounds the same as my original record from 1999 imo. Maybe some more listens to change my mind but this version has a slight gain in volume from about 15 percent compared to the original.

I was wondering about this, too. I don't know what I was expecting, but on my first proper listen I was thinking, "I guess the EQ must have been pretty good the first time around". It's frustrating when people say remasters are just a matter of turning up the volume, but it is more frustrating when it sounds like they are right. I think I may go back to the original and then compare back to back. I'm sure I am missing something.

And regardless, I am still in favor or remasters for Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole. I KNOW those need it.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Anyone try mixing the original and the new at matched levels (one being inverted) to see if any eq or dynamics changes are present? I listened to it the other day and thought I was hearing new subtleties, but they were on Bose knock-off headphones, so it was already going to sound different.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Nov 23, 2019, 03:00

First impressions! Love the art work on everything (even the inner sleeves) I thoroughly enjoyed the Psychedelic Mixes ( LFB is way up there!) The booklet was a great read while listening to album again! Gonna start the DVD right now. Overall excellent package!

Hey Inchem, In your picture I see 6 Kate Gibb art prints. In all the webshop description I see 4. $ are the singles, HBHG, LFB, OOC, M:R. 5 and 6 on your picture seems to be Surrender cover and Surrender inlay. Do I see this correct or are there differences in the (paper) quality?

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Nov 25, 2019, 17:35

I wish they had padded it with the  Red rock show, there definitely footage for out of control and  sunshine underground.

Red Rocks footage would have been a treat. Seeing those clips of TSU & Music Response was how I first discovered the Chems. I would LOVE to see that whole show.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Receive the Japanese version today. The Fuji Rock set is such a treat to listen to. The rest of the content is the same as what everyone else has been posting. To my knowledge there is no variance in the physical or audio material other than the Fuji Rock set. Unless you count the Japanese language insert that describes the material.

Quote from: mesamm99 on Nov 26, 2019, 02:44

Receive the Japanese version today. The Fuji Rock set is such a treat to listen to. The rest of the content is the same as what everyone else has been posting. To my knowledge there is no variance in the physical or audio material other than the Fuji Rock set. Unless you count the Japanese language insert that describes the material.

the 3CD or the 4CD? Curious what the 3CD packaging is like, is it a digipack or box?

The 4CD. It's a box like packaging that is the same size as a vinyl record would be. Very nice packaging. Best I've seen in some time by an artist.

Quote from: mesamm99 on Nov 26, 2019, 03:14

The 4CD. It's a box like packaging that is the same size as a vinyl record would be. Very nice packaging. Best I've seen in some time by an artist.

Good to know. I picked up the Japanese edition of the Brotherhood mini boxset, but the US/UK box had like this cloth-type material on it whereas the Japan edition was just usual cardboard material. I liked the way the material on the US/UK one looked and felt compared to Japan's standard cardboard.

Quote from: satur8 on Nov 25, 2019, 17:59

"I guess the EQ must have been pretty good the first time around". It's frustrating when people say remasters are just a matter of turning up the volume, but it is more frustrating when it sounds like they are right. I think I may go back to the original and then compare back to back. I'm sure I am missing something.

Quote from: Biff on Nov 25, 2019, 19:31

Anyone try mixing the original and the new at matched levels (one being inverted) to see if any eq or dynamics changes are present? I listened to it the other day and thought I was hearing new subtleties, but they were on Bose knock-off headphones, so it was already going to sound different.

Remasters? I know that some records have been supposedly 'remastered' but only just ripped from CD file (digital copy)and not the actual master tapes. Because of this, some records will never have the same sound as the original record. Google master tapes fire!

Anyway, back on the subject. As for the comparison of both records (1999 version and this version) I think there might be some differences that can be sniffed out with better ears than my own. On my next day off, Ill give it another go and play them both with closer attention and weed out any differences. But then again, I think one of you might get to it first.

Quote from: Joslyn on Nov 25, 2019, 22:24

Hey Inchem, In your picture I see 6 Kate Gibb art prints. In all the webshop description I see 4. $ are the singles, HBHG, LFB, OOC, M:R. 5 and 6 on your picture seems to be Surrender cover and Surrender inlay. Do I see this correct or are there differences in the (paper) quality?

those extra pictures (5 and 6) are the 'artsy' inserts for the album. when you get the box set and open the actual album,the actual records are in 'regular' white paper inserts. This was something I should've pointed out in my review but when you usually get records (when they get mishandled by putting them back in the insert), the inserts will get seam splits on the bottom or sides. The box set prevents this buy giving you 'back-up' inserts so you dont have to use the 'artsy' ones. Hope this explains this but nevertheless a nice touch in details . Oh and the paper quality is good but less thick than the prints
Last Edit: Nov 26, 2019, 07:05 by inchemwetrust

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Nov 25, 2019, 17:35

I wish they had padded it with the  Red rock show, there definitely footage for out of control and  sunshine underground.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Nov 26, 2019, 00:57

Red Rocks footage would have been a treat. Seeing those clips of TSU & Music Response was how I first discovered the Chems. I would LOVE to see that whole show.

This would've been perfect to round out the DVD! Missed opportunity!

Can anyone who owns the Kate Gibb prints tell me what kind of material these are made of? Is it just like poster paper or rather thicker/ heavier paper more akin to the Born in the Echoes silk print?

Oh, and by the way, how did the digital download voucher work out for you LP buyers this time around? Any issues?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)