Yeah, We Will Live Again

Surrender Box Set Coming Soon

Started by inchemwetrust, Apr 29, 2019, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Dream On? I think that's code for "Yes, it's coming but I don't want it to overshadow 'No Geography' news, because it's not even 3 weeks old yet."

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 30, 2019, 19:51

Dream On? I think that's code for "Yes, it's coming but I don't want it to overshadow 'No Geography' news, because it's not even 3 weeks old yet."

Well, wiki says June 21 is the big date, so I think there's enough cushion and room for NG and the tour itself to breathe. Maybe the chems will keep the surrender anniversary album lowkey till june arrives.

Quote from: neorev on Apr 30, 2019, 20:19

Flashback!

Glad you brought this up. Hopefully it gets a longer version. Also really,really,really wanna hear freak of the week putting the metal to the pedal in a different alteration.

Ha! Coincidentally I just got promoted to FOTW on my profile!
Last Edit: Apr 30, 2019, 20:35 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

They don't necesarily have to be attached to the official date of anniversary. Maybe just announce a pre-sale/ item description on the June 21st and go onwards from there.

Either way, I hope we don't have to buy from Astralwerks.

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 30, 2019, 21:40

I hope we don't have to buy from Astralwerks.

'Knocks on wood'

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 30, 2019, 19:51

Hmm, I read 'dream on' as 'keep dreaming, that boxset is never going to happen, I was just talking shit with the Aussie journalist".

Hype for this so I'm gonna share a lot of the Surrender related archive stuff I have saved over the next week...

Quote from: Bosco on Apr 29, 2019, 21:34
Would be cool to see if Kate Gibb can contribute in some way being that her artwork throughout this era is so highly praised.

Here's textless, uncropped, and alternate artwork from the Surrender era I found on a Kate Gibb feature or archive I'm not fully sure I was supposed to have access to:

Link to full album

And more alt art, plus some pieces she made for other projects that reused some "iconic Chems themes":

Link to full album

Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on May 01, 2019, 05:13

Hype for this so I'm gonna share a lot of the Surrender related archive stuff I have saved over the next week...

Here's textless, uncropped, and alternate artwork from the Surrender era I found on a Kate Gibb feature or archive I'm not fully sure I was supposed to have access to:

Link to full album

And more alt art, plus some pieces she made for other projects that reused some "iconic Chems themes":

Link to full album

I guess these are pic directly from Kate's website, no?

Btw, this site has some great Gibb images too
https://bigactive.com/creative-management/kate-gibb/
Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:56 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Apr 30, 2019, 20:29

Well, wiki says June 21 is the big date, so I think there's enough cushion and room for NG and the tour itself to breathe. Maybe the chems will keep the surrender anniversary album lowkey till june arrives.

Glad you brought this up. Hopefully it gets a longer version. Also really,really,really wanna hear freak of the week putting the metal to the pedal in a different alteration.

Ha! Coincidentally I just got promoted to FOTW on my profile!

Give me all of the Surrender era b-sides on a disc with alternate versions. I'd love to have all of Kate Gibbs artwork including unused art in a book. Do something like Underworld's Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest In The Infants, and Beaucoup Fish boxset reissues. A full live show from this era would also be cool to included. I'll by a 4 or 5 or 6 disc Surrender boxset  ;D

Quote from: Csar on May 01, 2019, 07:44

I guess these are pic directly from Kate's website, no?

Btw, this site has some great Gibb images too
https://bigactive.com/creative-management/kate-gibb/
and a few other sources, for example the artboard pics are from somewhere else. It was something someone said somewhere.

The album has the highest quality publicly available copies though, visiting the site gives you a sized down version you can't download, got the high quality versions by going through the page source code.
Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 16:00 by WhiteNoise

Quote from: WhiteNoise on May 01, 2019, 15:51

and a few other sources, for example the artboard pics are from somewhere else. It was something someone said somewhere.

The album has the highest quality publicly available copies though, visiting the site gives you a sized down version you can't download, got the high quality versions by going through the page source code.

Yeah, I did the same. View page source and grabbed whatever Chem art she had up.

I hope this is true! I am well prepared to spend silly money on any box set that might come our way.

However to me it would not seem to make sense to release a box set in the year they are promoting No Geography. Maybe a box set would make more sense next year for the 21st anniversary. I hope I'm wrong though.

I see on Instagram that Kate Gibb has been going through her surrender artwork archive recently. The signs are looking good

Coincidentally I bought a Kate Gibb print this week on eBay of an unused (?) surrender era art work entitled "dancing girls" it looks awesome!
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Quote from: Sneaker on May 03, 2019, 12:15

Coincidentally I bought a Kate Gibb print this week on eBay of an unused (?) surrender era art work entitled "dancing girls" it looks awesome!
ooooh! Me wanna see pic!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202663666888

It's this one, it's on the big active web site.

It will be the third Kate Gibb print I have. Naturally I have the Olympia print and non-chemical print called spring breaker
Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 18:46 by Sneaker
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Quote from: Sneaker on May 03, 2019, 16:15

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F202663666888

It's this one, it's on the big active web site.

It will be the third Kate Gibb print I have. Naturally I have the Olympia print and non-chemical print called day breaker

Holy moly! That sucker looks beautiful. Costly but worth it! Nice find Sneak!

Be cool if the Chems sell a Surrender art print when they put the boxset up.

I do hope that the boxset comes with a book of every Surrender Kate Gibb art. From the singles artwork to unused pieces. Would make an amazing art book. Underworld did a great job with this for their reissues. They came with a vinyl sized book. The Smashing Pumpkins did something similar with their Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness boxset.

Wasn't it Ed who poo-pooed the idea of ever doing a live film, and then we wound up getting one like 5 years later?

Now with this, this is something he said that came unprovoked. I think it's definitely in their plans, just not sure when.
Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 21:07 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on May 03, 2019, 20:45

Wasn't it Ed who poo-pooed the idea of ever doing a live film, and then we wound up getting one like 5 years later?
Tom in 2002:

"The Chemical Brothers is not the route to doing something else. It's not like I'm doing this so one day I'll be able to do a film score or something. This is it. This is enough. This is everything we want right here."

And hell weren't they just a few years ago against the idea of a box set or a "backward looking" release? Hence why Dig Your Own Hole got a vinyl repress, a few b-sides added to Spotify, and that's it.

They basically confirmed this (I think) on the Zane Lowe interview that is going down right now . I just tuned in and they were talking about Surrender, Tom just mentioned it's gonna be "20 years" since its release and Zane Lowe said something to the effect "no looking back" and Tom and Ed agreed, until Tom corrected himself and said on this one, I guess we are for the first time.

They didn't really go into detail after that. Need to re-listen to interview (not really an interview, more like just a conversation between old acquaintances, Zane Lowe being a bit of a nutter).

Zane giving Ed hell about "Fag break"  :))
Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 17:57 by Bosco