Back With Another One of Those Block Rockin' Beats

Surrender Box Set Coming Soon

Started by inchemwetrust, Apr 29, 2019, 14:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bosco on Nov 18, 2019, 22:29
Meh, I think you're overreacting and being unreasonable.
Maybe.. Or maybe I'm just disappointed in something..
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Mob1 on Nov 16, 2019, 21:20

Does anyone else kinda feel buying this release is just super WEIRD.

Kind of crossing that thin line of being a massive life-long fan and becoming a soulless collector?

I mean, most of us from the old forums already have 99% in this release on wax in some way or another.

I'm excited about the Kate Gibb prints to make a cool poster, but for that price(+shipping) you could buy one of the new cool original silkscreens she's making that are freaking awesome and support her in a real way.

Not hating at all, but none of us is gonna even play these records, like you don't want f em up cause of their value. The compilation is just gonna gather dust somewhere. Half the fun with the Chems releases it's playing around with the records and after 10+ years they're usually just done and you buy another cheap copy of the 12" single..

It's really not about the money; Yes, if it's a amazing package for a classic like Surrender we all love and it's without a doubt an extremely important piece of art, it's worth it... but still this is not the Chemical spirit.

If they go the way of Massive Attack and making extremely high price releases... like that's it, I'm not fucking with that.

Love the Chems, always will, and hope they do great forever but this direction has me worried.

Does anybody else feel conflicted or I'm I just tripping hard?

Btw, thanks WhiteNoise for the tempban 4y ago, did great on my finals back then lol, guess I'm back

I guess its ok to have second thoughts about buying anything thats chems related, especially when it comes to price! Everybody is going to have their own reason for buying this...whether if its about the music, or collecting, or for whatever reason. I can see why some people dont feel justified in buying this box set but thats ok!

Yes, the price of the Surrender vinyl box set is too goddamn high, but you know what, im not even mad! I definitely see myself buying it later on in the future because to me, its a once in a lifetime item, and I'm not in a hurry to get it...yet. Besides, with the same amount of money, I can buy the gaps in my collection (missing EBW's Glint CD, Salmon Dance CD, and that damn Velodrome vinyl)

We as fans have responded to physical releases by buying them because we weren't forced in any way, but because its based on different parts. Part of it is fan loyalty, part of it is music, part of it is because we just came back from one of their concerts and want to hear more of their stuff, part of it is having a copy of something that is unique and stands out, etc. I would never want somebody to buy something now and then regret it later because it was to expensive or they only played it once in 5 years. You do you, and go with the flow!

But Mob1, If your having second thoughts on this, than no worries. I wouldn't consider any of us soulless collectors, but more like sponsors of this great music that's gonna be carried with us for the rest of our lives.

Quote from: LLG on Nov 16, 2019, 23:28

I agree with most of what you said, but not this. I drop money on vinyl to play it, not to have it sitting around sealed so I can look at it. I'm not hating either, I'm just not a collector.

Yes! I'm the same way too. always happy to play some chem tunes on my day off and spin the singles.

Quote from: Biff on Nov 18, 2019, 00:35

If they sell funkopop Tom and Ed I'll draw the line there.

lolz! I actually submitted that request just about a week ago on their website. 'crosses fingers' But will it be the current T and E, or the 90's T and E version! Hmmm!

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 18, 2019, 20:12

To respond to Mob1

It's expensive and not totally fulfilling (for the majority of us here). But that's the cost of marketing obsolete media in todays world.

To me,its fulfilling, but its expensive! as much as I want the Kate Gibb prints, the 10 inch EBW's ,and the DVD, I just cant pull the trigger right now. Plus add the current shows I went to, plus the upcoming Xmas shopping, I cant even consider it being under my tree this year. Ill be cool though.

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 18, 2019, 22:29

You might as well sell something while you still are in the publics eye, your target demographic are still alive and spending money, and physical media is still a "thing".

Makes perfect sense. Also the same reason why we got those colored vinyl re-releases, C-H-E-M-I-C-A-L and the no geography 3 vinyl set.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Okay, so I don't own a record player. However, the reissue of my favourite album of all time (Surrender) is going to make me purchase one!! Any vinyl heads out there who can recommend a record player???

I am leaning towards the AudioT LP120X. Nothing more expensive - anyone the proud owner of one?

"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

Quote from: VMan on Nov 19, 2019, 16:19

I am leaning towards the AudioT LP120X. Nothing more expensive - anyone the proud owner of one?

Yep. Recently got two for my radio station, that's the one you want. Best you can get for the best price.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Nov 19, 2019, 16:37

Yep. Recently got two for my radio station, that's the one you want. Best you can get for the best price.

Ah Whitenoise, thank you for your advice and endorsement! I think it's pretty conclusive then 😃 cheers. Ps how do I listen to your show!?  ::)
"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

Quote from: Explud on Nov 19, 2019, 08:20
Or maybe I'm just disappointed in something..

And that's fine. You have the right to be.

When you say they're "bullying" their fanbase, it makes it seem like we're victims, and I don't think that's accurate at all.

To support your frustration, and I've said this before... we would greatly benefit from a significant line of communication, to guide or temper our expectations on certain announcements.

Quote from: VMan on Nov 19, 2019, 19:10

Ps how do I listen to your show!?  ::)

Yeah! I want to call up and ask if I'm caller #7 and if I won tickets to the Indiana State Fair

I'm enjoying that 21 minute version of OOC much more than I should.
I expected something much more polished, but it is a gem.
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on Nov 19, 2019, 20:16

I'm enjoying that 21 minute version of OOC much more than I should.
Wait, there's an upper limit to how much one should enjoy music?

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 19, 2019, 21:00

Wait, there's an upper limit to how much one should enjoy music?

Yeah, it is that sweet spot between ecstasy and insanity ;)
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: VMan on Nov 19, 2019, 16:19

Do it! Bought a pair last year and I'm really satisfied.

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 19, 2019, 19:42
When you say they're "bullying" their fanbase, it makes it seem like we're victims, and I don't think that's accurate at all.
Sorry, I take my words back. Was on emotions.
Hi Kevin!

Have these shipped in America yet? Who has one in hand?

EDIT - NM, looks like it comes out on the 22nd. Guess I should have known. Will check back Friday!
Last Edit: Nov 20, 2019, 18:00 by satur8
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

well my pre-order from the official store got canceled. some kind of problem charging my card - I think I may have had to replace it since I place the order.

I could order again but the recent discussion about soulless collecting has got me rethinking it. I could save a lot of money if I don't worry about the EBW.

Save that cash for the long awaited return to Indio! ...  ::)

It actually might be better to wait and see if there is some type of discount code offered for Black Friday for those who haven't ordered, yet. I think they did this before, but I'm not sure if it was just exclusive to the merchandise store.

Quote from: shakermaker on Nov 21, 2019, 02:59

I could save a lot of money if I don't worry about the EBW.

son of a beach!

now you got me thinking about it again! :))
and you know what, your right!

i have those ebw's anyway, but im gonna have to collect these other versions later.

EDIT: fuck it! I just ordered it! DAMN THESE CHEMICALS BROTHERS! stop going thru my wallet!
I ordered the non-ebw version on Amazon. Will get it on release date (this friday)
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 21, 2019, 04:28

Save that cash for the long awaited return to Indio! ...  ::)

It actually might be better to wait and see if there is some type of discount code offered for Black Friday for those who haven't ordered, yet. I think they did this before, but I'm not sure if it was just exclusive to the merchandise store.

For folks in the US, ImportCDs had 10% off going on.

I got to listen to all of the Secret Psychedelic Mixes. Here's my opinion: (spoiler tags for the ones who want to discover them by themselves)
- HBHG:
Still not too fond of this one. Maybe I hoped this would be the demo HBHG we heard in 97 live sets and some DJ Sets, and I'm disapointed because it's not.
- Let Forever Be:
Spoiler
I love this one! The more electronic beat adds a little something to this track. I was never a big fan of the original but this more rough take is more my cup of tea
- Out of Control:
21mn of boredom :| Enjoyed is the real "Secret Psychedelic Mix" of Out of Control.
- Flashback:
Spoiler
A really nice alternative mix. Sounds like something that could be in Wipeout. The original version is definitely better (the crazy arp synth adds a lot), but I like this version too
- Dream On:
Spoiler
Maybe a little too close to the original? It's a shame because I love the part that's different from the final version