But Now I Think I See the Light

‘Singles 93-03’

Started by Bosco, May 06, 2019, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic
If they didn't include the live footage in the DVD, I don't think my fandom would be where it is today.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the music, it just pinpointed something I definitely wanted to experience and dramatically transcended my feelings for their music.

I suppose this doesn't mean the same to everyone, but at the time we had no YouTube.

Did I mention how underrated The Golden Path is?

Quite similar for me! I believe it was the first chems item I ever bought. It was inbetween the years when I was on my search for big beat artists of all kind, buying tons of compilations off of ebay but wasn't that familiar yet with scope of their work. There were some tunes I liked but I wasn't quite ready yet to buy a whole album because they weren't all breakbeatish enough. Then this thing popped up. I went to my local "best buy" type of store a couple of times because it was quite expensive for me and I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend like 20 bucks. Maybe by the fifth time sneaking around the shelve I finally decided to do it and never regreted it ever since. 
It was sort of a defining moment for me too. The animated "metro" menu of the DVD was such fun to click through and then all the live clips including my then favourite TPPR was just a marvelous experience. One year later, I was fully hooked and registered on their official forum in 2004 - instantly getting into an argument as a noob with Iguanapunk about him being offensive. Haha, good times, sigh.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on May 06, 2019, 21:10

instantly getting into an argument as a noob with Iguanapunk about him being offensive.

It's a rite of passage.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

This came out just about when I first got into them. I was on holiday in Hawaii with the family and picked up the two disc special edition from a retail music/movies type store in Honolulu and was cranking the discs on my Discman as soon as I got back to the hotel.

The live bits from the singles DVD was a nice little fix if I wanted to escape to a show for a few moments. It was also such a tease because from that moment, the whole "are we getting a live DVD" discussions started buzzing a bit more around the forum... When our beloved iguanapunk was still around antagonizing n00bs, hahaha! ;)

I've always had a soft spot for The Golden Path. It is quite special to me. When it comes up at random when I've got my songs in shuffle mode, it makes me smile. I just love it.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I remember the Virgin Megastore in downtown Chicago had the 'Singles 93-03' box set displayed in their vinyl section. It looked so impressive, but I didn't have a record player or the cash to take it home.

I think I bought my deluxe cd copy in a late night run at Meijer (Midwest Walmart). It took me awhile to track down the deluxe copy for some reason.

Remember the Golden Ticket promo - hidden in a lucky singles CD - to win a chance to see one of their legendary New Year'DJ sets? I was working at Tower Records (still the best job I've ever had) when that came out. Some of my coworkers joked about hiding our stock in the manager's office so I wouldn't try opening them all to see if one had a lucky ticket, haha
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Did Wayne Coyne or The Chemical Brothers want to name 'Golden Path' : "Chloë Sevigny lying naked reading the Bible" (as I walked along)?

After skimming the liner notes again, and with a little more knowledge, I'm aware of who Chloë Sevingy is. I know she is a pretty good actress, has an ear for good music, and has been in some questionable scenes/independent films. Is this quote/title above referring to a film she's in? Or was this some infatuation Wayne/Chemical Brothers might have had with her at the time of writing 'Golden Path'?

I'm so confused...

Holy crap this is gonna be 20 years old come September!

It's one hell of a compilation and I highly recommend. I'm not sure if it's available on all streaming services (I know Apple Music doesn't have it), but both the DVD and 2 disc CD is worth investing in.

I have the vinyl boxset, coincidentally the number is 01234 8)
Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Still waiting for the follow-up compilations 03-13 and 13-23!