It's the Lifestyle We're Living

Disappointments about 2019 live sets

Started by Explud, May 12, 2019, 22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on May 18, 2019, 03:32

Das Spiegel or gtfo.

Das Spiegel and A Modern Midnight Conversation are two highly underrated trax and I'd love to see them make it (back) into their live sets.

Quote from: Cosmic Reflexion on May 18, 2019, 06:05

Das Spiegel and A Modern Midnight Conversation are two highly underrated trax and I'd love to see them make it (back) into their live sets.

Ahh forgot about that wonderful gem! 

Quote from: Champiness on May 18, 2019, 01:14

The lack of "Universe" is my one real, strong grievance with the current set.

Yeah, I was surprised that the Universe wasn't instantly considered for their new sets. Even though I stand by my statement and new signature (due to Rynostar's commandment), from what I've seen and heard so far, the current flow is a bit lacking especially in terms of transitions. Some segues are a bit rough and too sudden at the moment and some tracks are just too short (like Bosco mentioned) to be honest. But you only got so much time, so it's probably pretty hard to decide what needs to be cut short or get axed, I suppose.

Anyways, please, play Galaxy Bounce 93-03 version just once!!!! I'm dying to hear that live. That build-up and middle part are meant to be played live, dammit!

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on May 18, 2019, 07:42

Anyways, please, play Galaxy Bounce 93-03 version just once!!!!
Do i need to rehear both? What is the difference? Or do you talk about that the 93-03 version is unmixed?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on May 18, 2019, 10:17

Do i need to rehear both? What is the difference? Or do you talk about that the 93-03 version is unmixed?
Come on, Pum! This is no rocket science. :P

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on May 18, 2019, 07:42

Anyways, please, play Galaxy Bounce 93-03 version just once!!!! I'm dying to hear that live. That build-up and middle part are meant to be played live, dammit!

AKA the Tomb Raider version.

I would pass on from this life to the Dog Planet a very happy man if I ever had the luxury of hearing Galaxy Bounce live. Hands down my favourite Chems tune.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Cosmic Reflexion on May 18, 2019, 06:05

I'm still calling for AMMC to be mixed in with Got To Keep On! (imagine 'listen to your heart' mixed in with the bells and vocals')
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

How the fuck is "The Universe Sent Me" not included???  Everyone's head would explode in orgasmic joy.

I have a possible disappointment:

if the evil robot staff character from eve of destruction is not named either Rita or Repulsa, I have a bone to pick
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on May 19, 2019, 04:31

How the fuck is "The Universe Sent Me" not included???  Everyone's head would explode in orgasmic joy.

It could replace saturate. Same vibe offering in that part of the live set but something nice and new. And live reinterpretation of that could be interesting if it ever happened.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: androidgeoff on May 19, 2019, 07:47

I have a possible disappointment:

if the evil robot staff character from eve of destruction is not named either Rita or Repulsa, I have a bone to pick

:)). Yes! We need more context for this vid,visual,movie,etc

Funny thing though because me and Ryno were discussing this,and we found out that nothing is known about this visual, such as what production company made it, who are the actors,and any behind the scenes footage, or where did the inspiration come from to make this visual.

I mentioned awhile back that EVE should get a single release. This would be a good chance to put out the vid and the single together. Just in time for the next leg of the tour!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on May 19, 2019, 16:26

:)). Yes! We need more context for this vid,visual,movie,etc

Funny thing though because me and Ryno were discussing this,and we found out that nothing is known about this visual, such as what production company made it, who are the actors,and any behind the scenes footage, or where did the inspiration come from to make this visual.

I mentioned awhile back that EVE should get a single release. This would be a good chance to put out the vid and the single together. Just in time for the next leg of the tour!

I have some context, Aurora's costume was made by Esther Rouah, who made some of the costumes for the BITE tour visuals, (ISYT, Go, and EML's masks)

(From her IG page, it seems though they've had a whole different, more environmental approach to the visuals that Adam and Marcus scrapped)

I can only assume that Kate Tabor who's done the other costumes for the newer 2018 visuals had some involvement, given the tube monster was previously used in 'C-H-E-M-I-C-A-L', and can be seen here:

It's more likely information will pop up on adam and marcus' instagram though, speaking of production companies, do the visuals (at least the newer ones) all come from the same crew?

I know actors from Gecko Theatre have been used for a majority of the newer visuals, they've been credited in a few posts in addition to the group themselves having some pictures
Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 16:41 by hstn
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Spoiler

our robotic overlords were not up there long enough! Halfway through hoops, they were already being put away.

How I would improve this would be: in the beginning of hoops they show up without their effects (ex. Blue's chest lights) then when the song has its break they power on, and when the beat kicks back in the laser eyes activate.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

The Universe Sent Me is one of my favorite tracks from No Geography, but I wasn't missing it from the live sets. *shrug*.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Watched a YouTube of the Mexico show that was nearly two hours. I felt the first half of the set was a little bit disjointed when it came to mixing between tracks. Some stuff too abrupt and others felt off or out of place. It's not their stongest setlist... yet. Perhaps they will work on it some more as it's still early in the tour. But I would change some of the track order and/or choices around for smoother transitions.

Spoiler
I'm kind of dissapointed that George doesn't have the old Hoops visuals on his torso screen.

Spoiler
My biggest disappointment is that the show is almost similar to the 2018 show with minimal differences and some of the best parts taken out. Seriously, no Believe?? Come on, Believe was great between MAH and EML in the 2018 show. I was so disappointed when they played the "I'm moving in between" sample and then went straight to EML. I also felt like No Geography and Wide Open were out of place, they deserve better, to be honest.

Of course, this doesn't mean the show is bad. I really loved the changes they made to Go and GTKO. EoD, Hoops/Get Up On It Like This and DYOH/Under The Influence were definitely awesome. They need to bring back some of their older songs, I can see songs from CWU working well with songs from NG.

Quote from: neorev on May 19, 2019, 21:51

Watched a YouTube of the Mexico show that was nearly two hours. I felt the first half of the set was a little bit disjointed when it came to mixing between tracks. Some stuff too abrupt and others felt off or out of place. It's not their stongest setlist... yet. Perhaps they will work on it some more as it's still early in the tour. But I would change some of the track order and/or choices around for smoother transitions.
Quote from: Hoops on May 20, 2019, 14:07

Spoiler
My biggest disappointment is that the show is almost similar to the 2018 show with minimal differences and some of the best parts taken out. Seriously, no Believe?? Come on, Believe was great between MAH and EML in the 2018 show. I was so disappointed when they played the "I'm moving in between" sample and then went straight to EML. I also felt like No Geography and Wide Open were out of place, they deserve better, to be honest.

Of course, this doesn't mean the show is bad. I really loved the changes they made to Go and GTKO. EoD, Hoops/Get Up On It Like This and DYOH/Under The Influence were definitely awesome. They need to bring back some of their older songs, I can see songs from CWU working well with songs from NG.

Spoiler

I think the two tracks that felt most awkwardly placed were HBHG and Chemical Beats. The Chemical Beats > MAH transition especially felt kind of sloppy (I may have been imagining it, but Tom looked visibly dissatisfied on stage with that mix afterward).

Agreed with you, Hoops, that No Geography had unideal placement as well. I liked Wide Open where it was, though.

I guess my armchair fanboi suggestions would be:
1) Drop HBHG entirely
2) Close the main pre-encore set with Block Rockin Beats > Chemical Beats > No Geography
3) Replace Saturate > Elektrobank Vocals > No Geography with Out of Control/Setting Sun > Elektrobank Vocals > Believe

I'm pretty sure that would result in (even more) amazement!

Quote from: Cosmic Reflexion on May 20, 2019, 22:06

Spoiler

I think the two tracks that felt most awkwardly placed were HBHG and Chemical Beats. The Chemical Beats > MAH transition especially felt kind of sloppy (I may have been imagining it, but Tom looked visibly dissatisfied on stage with that mix afterward).

Agreed with you, Hoops, that No Geography had unideal placement as well. I liked Wide Open where it was, though.

I guess my armchair fanboi suggestions would be:
1) Drop HBHG entirely
2) Close the main pre-encore set with Block Rockin Beats > Chemical Beats > No Geography
3) Replace Saturate > Elektrobank Vocals > No Geography with Out of Control/Setting Sun > Elektrobank Vocals > Believe

I'm pretty sure that would result in (even more) amazement!

Spoiler
On second thought, you're right. Chemical Beats is in a very awkward spot. Free Yourself's ending sounds like it is heading to GTKO and the beginning of MAH just doesn't fit. Chemical Beats just doesn't work with anything that came out after Surrender.

You're right, they need to replace HBHG and other overplayed songs like Leave Home and Galvanize. They're getting old at this point. The worst part is, they don't even change the mix between shows, 2019 HBHG is a literal copypaste from the 2018 show.

As for the third point, that sounds better than the rather overused Saturate. The only thing missing is EBW 7, it is a great intro for Setting Sun/OOC.