We Are the Night

The best live track variations?

Started by oHUTCHYo, Jul 15, 2015, 11:41

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MIKL on Jul 17, 2015, 13:51

The original setting sun live version (96/97) still blows my mind to this day then in (00) when they decided to emphasise a pulsating beat to it and strip it down more just for that in parts.

I had this on VHS recorded from a broadcast and recorded it to my minidisc player I loved it so much at the time. Theres probably a better quality version of it somewhere.

Echoing your sentiments. This had been discussed not to long ago, and surprisingly a lot of people have mixed feelings on it. I think it's a huge hidden gem on the back end of the TPPR single.  A perfect taste of how they are masters at manipulating their own material.

Is it just me or did they re-sample the Elektrobank vocals? Heard them last night, was probably my highlight of the show but it sounded like Q-tip or something instead of the original distorted sample.

That visual though  :o
Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

I can endlessly listen to live recordings 1995-1997 and 2002.
- Chemical Beats 1995
- Life is Sweet (remix 1) 1995
- Setting Sun 1997
- Three Little Birdies Down Beats 1997
- HBHG / The Test 2002
- Flashback 1999
- Star Guitar / Temptation 2002
- Prescription Beats 1996
- I Take LSD 1997
- Song To The Siren ("Rock the house in") 2002
- It Doesn't Matter /Out Of Control /Don't Fight Control 2007
- UTI 2008
- Dig Your Own Hole / Base 6 1997

If you can track down the 2007 Concourse bootleg, the performance of Das Speigel during the encore is possibly the greatest version of Das Speigel ever.

I gotta go through all the live shows again and find those old favorites...
Never for money, always for love.

Hold Tight London  (2007 I guess, but there's only one live version that I know of)

^ There's two encore performances from 2005 - one is very similar to Trafalgar but the other IIRC is a lot more tribal and dancey and really pounds.
Never for money, always for love.

Snow/STA is am all time fav of mine. gutted I never saw it live. on the same note I love the Further visuals, especially on that huge full width LED screen,  the square screen on this tour is just too small! :) I suppose the actual robots make up for it!

from the current set the elektrobank/ill see you there mix is great, along with the SIFSD/checmical beats mix, its epic.

I wish my memory of the shows from '97/'99 were better....
The music gets louder, the lights swirl faster and the chap who freaks out just hasn't passed the acid test. A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is

Quote from: Bob Chipezka on Jul 21, 2015, 00:03

- Flashback 1999

How great would it be for this to make a reappearance? Especially given how tripped out the new album is?

Quote from: Chemdup on Jul 23, 2015, 10:08

I wish my memory of the shows from '97/'99 were better....

Jelly! ;-)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Bob Chipezka on Jul 21, 2015, 00:03

- It Doesn't Matter /Out Of Control /Don't Fight Control 2007

had no idea that bassline was coming at the Riviera show.  <3 Screamadelica.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 21, 2015, 07:01

If you can track down the 2007 Concourse bootleg, the performance of Das Speigel during the encore is possibly the greatest version of Das Speigel ever.

Ohhhh yeahh! Just listening to it and it's simply wonderful. They also improvised on the melody a little... It's also the only good quality recording of its live performance... One day, they need to put out all their live recordings which they hopefully stored somewhere. There are so many unique and versatile live moments, they cannot simply fall into oblivion never to be heard again.
Last Edit: Jul 23, 2015, 22:01 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

in the beginning of snow/surface to air video i hear the test noise
I CAN'T SEEM TO SHAKE THIS FEELING
I CAN'T SEEM TO PUT IT DOWN,DOWN,DOWN,DOWN...

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jul 21, 2015, 07:01

The whole show is pretty amazing. It has Burst Generator, Surface To Air, We Are The Night and a whole fucking TWENTY MINUTES of Das Spiegel and The Sunshine Underground

Speaking of Live variations, I really love the outro (the last minute) of Surface To Air as it appears on the Live 05 EP
Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015, 20:02 by Stefan

Quote from: MadPooter on Jul 15, 2015, 22:46

Dat Rolling Stones sample. Gawd...  :o
it happened :')

new tour has to be ISYT and SIFSD, if I could get a hold of a time machine i would go for Temptation/Starguitar. Superflash which i never got to experience fully. sniffle.
Last Edit: Sep 16, 2015, 20:22 by KNE

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

Live the 96 transition from BRB to LH

I love a lot of those 95/96 recordings

Quote from: Joslyn on Oct 03, 2015, 19:44

Live the 96 transition from BRB to LH

I love a lot of those 95/96 recordings
Wow! Actual footage of the pinkpop festival in 1996. The first time I saw the Chems live. Amazing!!!!
Last Edit: Oct 03, 2015, 20:02 by toxic

Quote from: toxic on Oct 03, 2015, 19:59

Wow! Actual footage of the pinkpop festival in 1996. The first time I saw the Chems live. Amazing!!!!

Pinkpop'96 had a great line up for dance enthousiast. The dance tent had EboMan, Orbital, Chemical Brothers and Underworld and closing act on the mainstage The Prodigy. It's a shame I wasn't there.

Encore+Leave Home @ French Beats 1999
Hi Kevin!