Where Do I Begin?

Radiate

Started by Bosco, Jul 17, 2015, 06:12

Previous topic - Next topic
This track is absolutely consuming me right now. For some reason it's taking me back to my childhood and I keep seeing mental images of over the top 80's Fantasy movies like Legend, The Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth.

time warp back to my childhood...

this is getting emotional...

damn
Last Edit: Jul 17, 2015, 18:52 by B

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It's stunningly beautiful. It reminds me so much of early Spiritualized (which is near and dear to my heart) yet echoes the sleepier, dreamier, melodic side of the Chems.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I think I might have pinpointed some similarities

2:18  White noise guitar build :

2:52 (which just gets me every time):

Dropping that high pitched  Vangelis-esque synth on us.  Perhaps coming from a Yamaha cs-80 (Vangelis favorite)? I believe it was mention in a BITE article they used "antiquated" instruments/sounds/synths.  I don't know, this is totally over my head, I know very little in the technical aspect of music.

Just a completely enchanting track. Love it.

Now revisiting  early work of Spiritualized, thanks for that Whirly.

Tbh it sounds like it could've been in Further, probably after Swoon or something like that. It sounds very reminiscent of Snow and Wonders Of The Deep (not just because of Tom's vocals on the latter :3)
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

That CS-80, holy mother of love, this is a fecking monster! I love that sound. It Radiates analogue epicness! Just like the song :)
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I have to rethink one my votes because Radiate is becoming a huggable track. It shouldve brought closure to the album imo. there's an emotion to it that evokes alot of contentment in the moment i'm listening.

'sets morning alarm to track 10'

Quote from: B on Jul 17, 2015, 06:12

time warp back to my childhood...

I had images of the playground as a kid and going to school. it felt good man! Gotta be played on mondays, because, you know, we all go back to work on mondays.
Last Edit: Jul 20, 2015, 04:34 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I've been traveling all weekend, a couple of the times listening to Radiate while driving I have looked over at my misses and she has had tears streaming down her face, not quite sure why the tears, but she is madly in love with this track. I kinda live it too.

Quote from: Krisper on Jul 20, 2015, 06:55

I've been traveling all weekend, a couple of the times listening to Radiate while driving I have looked over at my misses and she has had tears streaming down her face, not quite sure why the tears, but she is madly in love with this track. I kinda live it too.
That track can do that.
Last Edit: Jul 20, 2015, 07:58 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I just finished watching the docu-series Defiant Ones on HBO and this stuck out like a sore thumb when it was played in the background:

I was convinced, before doing some research, this was an un-credited, alternate version of Radiate.

I'd really like to listen to it but YT tells me the video is not available.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Nice!! I totally hear it.

Interesting to hear something by Atticus Ross without Trent Reznor--he seems to be an integral component to Trent Reznor's work. Always impressive to hear score produced like this.

Quote from: Csar on Oct 18, 2017, 15:03

I'd really like to listen to it but YT tells me the video is not available.

Unfortunately, that's the only youtube link I can find for the song. The best way I could describe it is a very slowed down version of the intro for Radiate.

I really recommend this series, you guys. Dr. Dre is one cool human being and Jimmy Iovine, who I've never heard of before this documentary, have some awesome musical history.

ok, so epiphany time.

I'm constantly Shazam-ing stuff I find interesting, be it on TV or Movies.... Well, the other night I was watching The documentary "Roadrunner: A Film about Anthony Bourdain", interesting music came on and managed to shazam it and continued on with the film.

Fast forward to a few minutes before I've typed this, I re-look to see where that track came from. Colin Stetson - 'Reborn'.

Google search results: Hereditary soundtrack...

play the video from search results, where the hell have I seen that name before, juggling with my brain before it's time to sleep,  and damn this kinda reminds me of Radi..., Oh fuck! it's who Tom worked with!!!!

(you should really play the whole track, but 1:50 is the similar area)

anyways, a quality scary movie. This track is used in a really creepy scene.

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 16, 2023, 07:34
anyways, a quality scary movie. This track is used in a really creepy scene.
I haven't see the film. It's funny seeing the YT comments from people who have: " The amount of discomfort it causes...", "Something is terribly, terribly, wrong", "From bleak to unsettling chaos".
But I'm just sitting here thinking: "this is nice". I guess the movie can influence how you perceive the music as well as vice versa.
Your bit at 1:50 kinda reminds me of something else as well as Tom/Chems. M83 maybe?

The intro section prior to 1:50 has me thinking of the first two or three minutes of this (well 1:45 t o 2:30-ish):

Richard Wagner: Das Rheingold Act 1: Prelude-Part I

Anyway, nice tune. One of these days I'm gonna dig into Stetson's work.
Last Edit: Aug 16, 2023, 12:15 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

SO glad this track is getting the love it deserves! I've ranted about how powerful and beautiful it is several times before on the Piku Playground discord server (which you should all join, it's official now!) but it deserves love on the forum too. It's so perfectly composed and every second clearly has tons and tons of effort poured into it. I could go on and on about it, but I'll keep this short.

It is such a shame this has never been played live. This track is so powerful and moving as is, imagine how much moreso it would be if it were enhanced by those sine wave lights they use for Snow/S2A and the live environment. I think it would be just a perfect encore track, or the closer to the first act. There are plenty of songs I think are deserving of being played live, most because of my subjective opinion, but I think this is one of few that would objectively be absolutely incredible to anyone who had the luck to experience it live. 

The Pills Won't Help You Now is similarly powerful and incredible to me, but that's for another day. One day, I'm gonna make a subject for every Chems track I think is worthy of praise and pick it apart and explain why I love it so much. But today, Radiate is gonna be on loop. And it deserves it. 

Also, it's really cool to see that connection to Hereditary! I haven't watched the film, but I know it's an amazing one, and the score of it is a big part of that. I swear I've heard that bit at 1:50 before; most likely in something online. Could it be a popular sound on TikTok, perhaps? I don't have TikTok, but my friends and partner send me them often, and I feel like I've heard it in one of them before.
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 16, 2023, 09:27
The intro section prior to 1:50 has me thinking of the first two or three minutes of this (well 1:45 t o 2:30-ish):

Richard Wagner: Das Rheingold Act 1: Prelude-Part I

Anyway, nice tune. One of these days I'm gonna dig into Stetson's work.

Just giving this a quick listen, it simply sounds amazing. I'm shutting it down for now so I can listen to it in the correct atmosphere for later.

Richard Wagner's compositions (and Lars von Trier movie 'Melancholia') tenderized me in a way I didn't know possible. Beautifully depressing. Would that be an oxymoron? Fuck it, I'm going with it.

And yes, I too look forward to further digging into Colin's work. I feel bad for dismissing him as just a forgettable "studio musician". Dude clearly has a gift.

Whaaaaa ok my mind is blown, what a crazy connection/discovery!! I was literally just talking about Hereditary the other day recalling how deeply disturbing, unnerving and brilliant that movie was, thanks in part to the soundtrack and sound design. Weird, hahah!

Anyway yes I hear that bit at 1:50 and it hits the so similar to Radiate.

Absolutely love Radiate and it's the one from Born In The Echoes that I find myself consistently drawn to. <3 Totally agree it is worthy of all the love on the forum and beyond!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.