Born In the Echoes

"Chemical Brothers Live 1997" VHS?

Started by Crotor, Jun 11, 2019, 21:27

Previous topic - Next topic
Hmm... There must be Daft Punk version of Biff too. I want to meet him!

Thanks for all platitudes folks...
I was soooo mad missing the Forest Hills show, then my man MTech 77 manages a killer pull, on video no less, from up front. AMAZING!
Hugh props for that!

As for Daft, at the time, Pedro, their manager, banned all talk of the cochella bootleg on the Daft Punk board. Believe me he WAS NOT happy... And probably because the sound was just flawless... Then, and excuse me cuz i can't remember the name of the person, from the coachella board, that solicited video clips from other attendees, and pieced, and oh my god what a job that must have been, pieced together a complete show on video, from what must have been hundreds of clips, synced it to my audio, and blew up the message board with its release.
And Pedro lost his mind... He wanted my head...  Just about every article on the internet about Coachella 2006 had a reference to the now infamous video bootleg release from the most talked about set from that year. Then he had to release an official video from that same tour, Daft Punks "Alive 2007" recorded in Paris later the next year.
So while the fans may have appreciated the video boot release, no one else in the Daft camp was pleased with our work..

But thats what makes it so special, its the pinnacle of bootleg taping, to get the powers that be to pay attention and rub their noses in it a little...
Guy and Thomas are tops in the electronic dance movement to me, and having had a hand in the bootleg was pleasing enough for me, and the thought that little ol' me (with a whole lot of internet help) could force a major release from a major artist is just, again the pinnacle of what bootleg taping could bring, and oh so satisfying...

As for Chem Base, in the ten year absence of the chems (here in america) i fell of the board, cuz i used to be on it, but i guess the data base changed and i never re upped, till the boys came back to NY, thought the time was right. Then going thru some stuff I found the 97 show and knew where it would bet appreciated, which is how i got back here.

So is there anyone that go thru this file and give me track timings and titles, and i can put the flac files up on Dime or Mixing bowl for the lossless community???

I didn't go thru the file that was posted here previously, and i am unaware of any other New York show in 97 that that video may have come from. Someone has already stated that it seems the video audio is different from what i posted, so i don't know where that video may have come from.
Also i was late getting in. so the show is in progress (Song for the Siren) when i started recording, missing about 20 minutes of the start, which is present on the previous file.

Thanks folks.. and as always, more to come....

Quote from: boldcaptain on Aug 15, 2019, 14:25

So is there anyone that go thru this file and give me track timings and titles, and i can put the flac files up on Dime or Mixing bowl for the lossless community???

00:00:00 Song For The Siren
00:01:25 Three Little Birdies Down Beats
00:09:24 It Doesn't Matter
00:13:46 Don't Stop The Rock
00:17:25 Elektrobank
00:22:22 Piku
00:24:32 Playground For A Wedgeless Firm
00:27:21 Dig Your Own Hole
00:32:49 Setting Sun
00:41:43 Chemical Beats
00:54:21 Hey Boy Hey Girl/Music Response
00:57:27 I Take LSD (I'm Taking LSD)
01:06:45 The Private Psychedelic Reel

Can't wait to hear lossless!

Thanks man!
Ill try to get that out this week....
Will post link here

Okay, the video is here:

Download: https://we.tl/t-xZtdlJJN5H

Working on streaming...

I Come back from camp to this!?! :o its beautiful!

those cubes on the ceiling look suspiciously similar to the ones from the gig in this video:

although I don't recognize any key features from Hammerstein

but those loops of fury visuals, oh my goodness! this could be a stretch but they must've been inspiration for Escape velocity from an archive somewhere.

So Leave home's visuals are the true origin for several of Flashback's visuals, Interesting.

Elektrobank's outro visuals must've been recycled and used for The Golden path in 2007.

Don't get me wrong its great to see the encore in its full, but Im kinda sad to see HBHG/Music:Response used only eyeballs. was kinda hoping for Giant text reading MUSIC! and RESPONSE!

The Reel looking beautiful as always.
Last Edit: Aug 26, 2019, 04:31 by Conn6orsuper117
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

The Chemical Brothers Live NYC VHS 1997 -  Yessahh !!!  This is fantastic ,  thanks so much for making this available to view  , ,  so great to see early Chem Bros footage ,  Tom and Ed trailblazing the path : -)
" Everybody  jumpin out of their mind  "

Holy effing cow, that VHS recording!!! This is a total gem! You can actually see Tom and Ed doing their shit, playing with faders and manipulating effects and frequencies. Thank you very much for you effort of digitizing your tape. This is a true rarity.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

i've never seen 1997 footage like this before..fantastic. thank you so very much!
Eight or over.

THIS IS THE PREQUEL TO DONT THINK!

LOF is just banging with that crowd. that segue into BRB is just mind-blowing! and then see them jam together on DYOH  :o :o :o  im not even halfway into the show but i would trade all my past shows for this one if i could go back in time!

THANKS CROTOR! I nominate you for forum member of the year! this is such a big contribution to the chemical fans!

EDIT @1:17:00 unknown track or early music response version?
Last Edit: Aug 26, 2019, 20:10 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Aug 26, 2019, 19:41

EDIT @1:17:00 unknown track or early music response version?

its the legendary early version of hey boy hey girl, which uses the music response vocals as well as a scrapped acapella.

surprised you never heard this version before
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Are there any really clean recordings of this version of HBHG/MR?

Quote from: Crotor on Aug 26, 2019, 02:35

Okay, the video is here:

Download: https://we.tl/t-xZtdlJJN5H

Working on streaming...

Be awesome to try and get the best audio from this VHS to see if I can clean it up and bring it up some. I currently got my TV volume at 50 with the YouTube app when it is usually at 14-16. Audio is pretty quiet on YT. I haven't tried the direct file.

That's awesome! The visuals have come such a long way from being two images alternating and zooming in and out to what we get today.

Quote from: Ben_j on Aug 27, 2019, 22:12

That's awesome! The visuals have come such a long way from being two images alternating and zooming in and out to what we get today.

They absolutely have, and I'm really proud of Smith & Lyall's development, but this also drove home to me the extent to which what they're interested in doing now is an extension of what they did back then. eg: The opening shot of the "Escape Velocity" visuals is basically an HD remaster of that blurry traffic footage from "Loops Of Fury"! We went from static images of ant silhouettes to a swarm of cockroaches crawling across the screen! And "The Private Psychedelic" is basically identical in its 2019 execution to how they did it in 1997, minus a few clowns and plus a few thousand pixels of image resolution.

(Which is to say nothing of the music! All those live-only trigger sounds that made it from NYC nightclubs to today's biggest festival stages!)
Last Edit: Aug 28, 2019, 04:24 by Champiness
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Quote from: neorev on Aug 26, 2019, 22:47

Be awesome to try and get the best audio from this VHS to see if I can clean it up and bring it up some. I currently got my TV volume at 50 with the YouTube app when it is usually at 14-16. Audio is pretty quiet on YT. I haven't tried the direct file.

Good idea. I gave it a shot myself with the available sound quality extracted from the video:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3cesw7

If you like it, maybe someone can mate it with the footage?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I would rather work on video quality. But i need raw source of it.
Hi Kevin!

Yes the video is really bad, it'd be super nice to get a proper transfer from the VHS.

I've made too an enhanced version of the audio, it sounds pretty similar to @csar version (to my ears).

https://mega.nz/#!kq5lECLA!v1DwU_rT-IUm6IcndGKwPPcK3vNlz4y9MyE8QuWxcok

Let me know which version you like more and I'll merge it with the video.

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Aug 26, 2019, 04:09

those cubes on the ceiling look suspiciously similar to the ones from the gig in this video:

That because they are part of the chemicals stage design in. Remember them being at the front of the stage to the left and right at Brixton in the early days.

Thanks Crotor for getting this beautiful video transferred. I would say the transfer is pretty good knowing how shocking VHS tape can be! Great camera angle  Tom in action  hammering the MPC in leave home and song to the siren. Love watching the faders in action. You get a real sense of Tom crafting the channels soloing, FXing and mashing up.  I really miss those early days seeing the brothers playing to a small room
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences